• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Dog ate goose poop

RachelC

VIP Member
Registered
My dog Tobi managed to eat some goose poop at the beach a few hours ago. I tried to get it out of her mouth, but she managed to ingest some. The goose poop she ate was softer and less formed than the goose poop I usually see (and which Tobi usually sniffs but doesn't try to eat), so I'm a little worried that the goose this poop came from might have been ill.

How big is the risk for Giardia and other bacterial infections? (I worry, too, because Tobi has recently gotten over a bleeding stomach ulcer from stress, but thankfully she has gotten significantly stronger and happier since then with Dr. Jeff's help.)

Is there anything specific I should do now to support Tobi's immune system? I gave her some colloidal silver when we got home from the beach, and then some probiotics later. I've read that Oregon grape extract (the non-alcohol one) might be helpful?

Thank you!

Rachel

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I would not worry. Watch, of course, but no reason to do very much. Eating vegetarian poop is totally normal for a healthy dog (not carnivore poop like dog, cat, fox).

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks Rachel! That's fantastic to hear about Tobi!!??

I would not worry. Watch, of course, but no reason to do very much.

Me too Rachel (I also wouldn't worry).

Maybe even say "Yay" when Tobi eats poop, or grass, or dirt!

Perhaps even cheer for the great exposure to wonderful probiotics, minerals and other nutrients she just received!

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Hullo, Rachel!
I agree with Dr. Christina and Dr. Jeff that goose and other herbivore stool is rarely of any concern. Though pathogens may be present, they are pretty rare in herbivores.
Do be aware that coccidia from the wild animal stool may pass through your dog's intestinal tract, so sometimes 'poop eaters' will have coccidia on a stool exam. Most labs identify these as from coprophagy; it is just something to be aware of as coccidia are specific to the species, and no cause for concern.
Some dogs will overeat the delicious stool and may vomit or have diarrhea, so do watch the amount they consume.

Carnivore stool is a different matter. Our dogs share pathogens with wild and domestic carnivores, such as 'worms' and Giardia, so it is best to prevent eating carnivore stool. A truly healthy dog will likely shed the pathogens, but better not to expose them if you can avoid it.
Best regards,
Dr. Sara

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom