• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Constipation, nausea, not eating

ChristinaP

Registered
Hello,

My cat, Cappuccine (almost 10 y o, himalayan mix, less than 8 lbs) was constipated after slowing down eating, vomiting three days in a row. Didn't poop since Friday July 21. Gave her lots of water and 1/2 tsp coco oil per day. Vet on Monday. X-ray showed impacted poop. Gave her enema and recommended Miralax 1/4 tsp 4x day. Tuesday, she stopped eating, then, in afternoon, she ate ground cooked rabbit that I gave her (just rabbit) Shortly after that she pooped: good size but not all (24 hours after beginning Miralax). Ate again a couple of times that evening.

3:30 this morning, she vomited some food. Maybe about 2 inches across. 6:30 she vomited a very small amount of foam...stomach acid?

She has lost weight through it all. My poor Cappuccine is going through something.

The initial slow down of eating may be because of "possible" gum pain. she was diagnosed with resorptive lesion, and although she was scheduled for cleaning and extraction I suspect this condition is a gum/digestive issue and not a tooth issue. No idea what to do on that front either.

I am at a loss for how to care for her. She must have upset stomach, on top of poop still needing to come out and tooth/gum issue. I have managed to get some squah in her with water, a little at a time. I am very worried because I realize how fast the liver can turn to fatty liver.

Thank you for your guidance.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Christina-

I'm sorry to hear about Cappuccine's challenges. :confused:
she vomited some food.
What is she eating?
No idea what to do on that front either.

I am at a loss for how to care for her.
Yes, I hear 'ya. The number of possibilities seems endless.

However, there's one road that can always help.

That is to seek optimal vitality and balance for her.

This will start with helping optimize the energy of the food you feed (canned/dry ultra-processed food vs. fresh food) as well as her happiness level and BEAM score.

Perhaps start by taking the HA! 101 course if you have not done so already. Then read or watch some of the IBD resources (constipation can be a common form of IBD).

Then reach back to us so we can help you get your beloved kitty back to the balance that nature and the universe intends her to have.

ChristinaP

Registered
Hi Christina-

I'm sorry to hear about Cappuccine's challenges. :confused:

What is she eating?

Yes, I hear 'ya. The number of possibilities seems endless.

However, there's one road that can always help.

That is to seek optimal vitality and balance for her.

This will start with helping optimize the energy of the food you feed (canned/dry ultra-processed food vs. fresh food) as well as her happiness level and BEAM score.

Perhaps start by taking the HA! 101 course if you have not done so already. Then read or watch some of the IBD resources (constipation can be a common form of IBD).

Then reach back to us so we can help you get your beloved kitty back to the balance that nature and the universe intends her to have.
Thank you for your response. She had been eating Instinct Rabbit (one protein) and Open Farm Beef. She will not eat anything now. And, earlier today, she had a bowel movement, then urinated, and it looked yellow/green. Then, she kept going to the litter box trying to urinate again with no luck. Finally, after 45 minutes she stopped, and is now very low energy. I don't know how much time we have left. Our other cat died in 2021 after a mysterious illness less than two weeks from start to finish. Our vet has been wholly unhelpful. Could the Miralax been the cause of her yellow/green urine?
She has not had any bowel problems before this instance.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Christina-

Could the Miralax been the cause of her yellow/green urine?
Not IMHO.

Perhaps see if a "Happy Dance" can help stimulate her vital force and appetite as it has in many other kitties.

To do this involves your wearing earbuds and finding the music that makes you happy and dance around in a high vibratory state so you can transmit your happy energy to your kitty:

We don't have a video of it yet, so this is as close as I can get:

ChristinaP

Registered
Hi Christina-

Not IMHO.

Perhaps see if a "Happy Dance" can help stimulate her vital force and appetite as it has in many other kitties.

To do this involves your wearing earbuds and finding the music that makes you happy and dance around in a high vibratory state so you can transmit your happy energy to your kitty:

We don't have a video of it yet, so this is as close as I can get:

Thank you for this. I will try it. I am also getting conflicting advice: Is it ok to give syringes of water to her? She vomited and she had also been on Miralax. Would there be harm in giving water in a syringe to her? She just vomited a hairball, and with it some liquid that was brownish. She has still not eaten. Last time was Wednesday (yesterday) late morning, and that was just a very little bit. I am finding it hard not to be concerned. The vet wants to give an appetite stimulant, but it is a drug, and will only load up her system more. They have been wholly unhelpful through this all. It is astounding.
I did the happy dance twice, and I felt lighter, but then my husband came downstairs and spread his anxiety, so that didn't last. I think it is getting to the both of us to a point where we are not handling it well.

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Is it ok to give syringes of water to her?
Great question! The answer will depend on how much she is vomiting and how mobile she is. It's best to not syringe (or offer any food or water) if she's vomiting frequently.

Similarly, it's often best to avoid syringing if she is not moving around much and able to swallow properly.
She vomited and she had also been on Miralax. Would there be harm in giving water in a syringe to her?
With one episode of vomiting it is OK as long as you do it slowly, on the side of her mouth, and let her swallow after each gulp.

Here's doing it with baby food (which is also a good thing to try as many cats love eating it):

Coconut water would also be a great thing to try syringing.

d I felt lighter, but then my husband came downstairs and spread his anxiety, so that didn't last. I think it is getting to the both of us to a point where we are not handling it well.
Yes! This is a super important observation which can be difficult to manage.

Perhaps try to get some private time with Cappuccine when you will not be disturbed.

ChristinaP

Registered
Thank you. The problem has progressed into a 50/50 survival problem. Hepatic lipidosis. We had a feeding tube inserted, and while at the vet, she was eating quite a bit. We brought her home, but we have been having trouble feeding her nearly enough without her vomiting. They want to put her on an antivomiting medication, but my naturopath says no, explaining that it is toxic for the liver that is already under stress.
We are thinking of taking her back to the vetnjust to get subs liquids and more feedings. What would you suggest? She is also on antibiotics. I tried giving her a tiny amount of probiotic, and that is part of what she vomited. I don't know if there is a connection. I realize it is a long road to haul, but she is losing more weight. We have no holistic vets for miles.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
The problem has progressed into a 50/50 survival problem.
I'm super sorry to hear that Christina. :confused:

My mom's 10+ year young kitty (who we adopted after my mom died in 2002) went for over a week without eating and was developing lipidosis (many kitties who fast for that long will have changes in the liver that vets label as lipidosis).

My wife and I found that shifting our mindsets and changing our own energy was very helpful until Chi (the kitty) started eating and recovered.

At that time, I did not know about the direct effect between the power our our own thoughts and intentions and health.

21 years later however, I can say that the energetic effect from shifting our mindset from one "fixed" by the dis-ease name, to a re-growth mindset not only helps improve dis-ease, but is even scientifically proven to extend (human) life.

What would you suggest?
How about having the vet feed her again?

At home, I'd suggest just trying small quantities (offering larger amounts at one time can turn off some kitties) a wide variety of foods of different profiles, a/d, baby foods, sardines, anchovies, lunchmeats, rotisserie chicken, lightly scrambled eggs with or without parmesan cheese, warm, cool. sweet, salty, etc.

FWIW-Chi started eating when we hand fed him some lox (smoked salmon). His appetite picked up from there...

And keep up those frequent Happy Dances, petting/massaging and engagement of any kind. Especially if it gets her purring.

As Dr. Seelye said on her HA! webinar about Tuina, the combination of touch and positive intention is like "magic".

ChristinaP

Registered
I'm super sorry to hear that Christina. :confused:

My mom's 10+ year young kitty (who we adopted after my mom died in 2002) went for over a week without eating and was developing lipidosis (many kitties who fast for that long will have changes in the liver that vets label as lipidosis).

My wife and I found that shifting our mindsets and changing our own energy was very helpful until Chi (the kitty) started eating and recovered.

At that time, I did not know about the direct effect between the power our our own thoughts and intentions and health.

21 years later however, I can say that the energetic effect from shifting our mindset from one "fixed" by the dis-ease name, to a re-growth mindset not only helps improve dis-ease, but is even scientifically proven to extend (human) life.

How about having the vet feed her again?

At home, I'd suggest just trying small quantities (offering larger amounts at one time can turn off some kitties) a wide variety of foods of different profiles, a/d, baby foods, sardines, anchovies, lunchmeats, rotisserie chicken, lightly scrambled eggs with or without parmesan cheese, warm, cool. sweet, salty, etc.

FWIW-Chi started eating when we hand fed him some lox (smoked salmon). His appetite picked up from there...

And keep up those frequent Happy Dances, petting/massaging and engagement of any kind. Especially if it gets her purring.

As Dr. Seelye said on her HA! webinar about Tuina, the combination of touch and positive intention is like "magic".
Dear Dr Jeff,
I agree completely...I find that my mind takes over when I am faced with this situation. Panic mode sets in, and it is consuming. How did you and your wife manage to stay grounded? I have practices, but they are not consistent enough: meditation, Wim Hof method breathing, visualization. I just want to help her, but I am probably causing her anxiety, instead.

That said, we did take her back to the vet this morning at 8:00 am and she will be there until 8:30 pm, during which time the vet will show us herself (not a tech) how she does it. Cappuccine has had two feedings, so far, and they have been successful. Much larger amounts than that which we have been giving her. She is also getting sub-q fluids, so at least when we bring her home she will be fully hydrated.

I feel more optimistic, but I am taking a page from Anthony William's book and calling on angels for help and guidance. I would have done happy dances with Cappuccine, but during the short time this weekend that she was here, she was fairly exhausted. Maybe I should still try it with her? I just don't know how much pain she is in. Certainly has inflammation throughout her body. I have been giving her lots of love and petting and attention, tapping her head to activate calm...and myself! And, she does purr.
She's such a sweet little thing, and I am not a healthcare worker. It pains me to see her this way. This is going to be a huge lesson for me and my husband: Reduce anxiety, create joy.

Question: What would you suggest if she has nausea? The vet wanted to give her something, but it is a drug, and those things seem to have unintended consequences. Helps one thing, causes several additional problems. Also, what do you think about magnesium glycinate for better intestinal flow?
Finally, for the food offerings, she is on feeding tube food, but are you suggesting offering small amounts of a variety of foods at the same time/place, or at different times?

I appreciate your thoughtful comments.
Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
How did you and your wife manage to stay grounded?
Thanks for asking this important question Christina. I'm very fortunate that Amy (my wife) rarely gets upset about our pet (or our own) health as long as she sees that I'm calm.

Plus Amy was part of the original inspiration for the Happy Dance. She also has other (and even more frequently practiced) parasympathetic-activating and self-soothing practices. Especially laughter from listening and watching funny stuff as per Norman Cousins:

The key to his (Norman Cousins) recovery, he said, was a powerful drug called laughter.

"I made the joyous discovery that 10 minutes of genuine belly laughter had an anesthetic effect and would give me at least two hours of pain-free sleep," he wrote.

Flat on his back in a New York hospital, Cousins persuaded the nurses to read him excerpts from the humor columns of E.B. White and Max Eastman and show him "Candid Camera" reruns and old Marx Brothers movies.
calling on angels for help and guidance.
Yes! Also, BEAMing love to her, healing intentions, gently petting, etc. can help. The univesal source of all wisdom wants her to be as good as she can be.
Question: What would you suggest if she has nausea?
Treating the underlying cause for the lipidosis will also treat her nausea. For now, maybe go easy on anything you have to force her to eat/swallow.
feeding tube food, but are you suggesting offering small amounts of a variety of foods at the same time/place, or at different times?
At this stage you may need to rely on the feeding tube to get enough calories into her, but she may still be willing to lick up some baby food, goat's milk, etc. between tube feedings.

As she gets better and better, she'll eat more and more on her own.

ChristinaP

Registered
Thanks for asking this important question Christina. I'm very fortunate that Amy (my wife) rarely gets upset about our pet (or our own) health as long as she sees that I'm calm.

Plus Amy was part of the original inspiration for the Happy Dance. She also has other (and even more frequently practiced) parasympathetic-activating and self-soothing practices. Especially laughter from listening and watching funny stuff as per Norman Cousins:

Yes! Also, BEAMing love to her, healing intentions, gently petting, etc. can help. The univesal source of all wisdom wants her to be as good as she can be.

Treating the underlying cause for the lipidosis will also treat her nausea. For now, maybe go easy on anything you have to force her to eat/swallow.

At this stage you may need to rely on the feeding tube to get enough calories into her, but she may still be willing to lick up some baby food, goat's milk, etc. between tube feedings.

As she gets better and better, she'll eat more and more on her own.
Thank you very much, Dr Jeff for your compassion. I asked you a bunch of questions today. Here is a new situation: Cappuccine's vet wants to give her an enema and Miralax again if the xray shows a full intestine. I believe that this is what caused her downward spiral because they did not rehydrate her afterwards. Is this correct? Do enemas and Miralax cause dehydration? And, does she need electrolyte replenishment after each? My believe is also that it was not the catalyst for her finally defecating. She had been given qi gong the day before. Correlation, I suppose. What are your thoughts?
Can a cat who has 33cc of water 5 times a day become dehydrated? Does the water dilute the electrolytes that she is supposed to get from the wet food? They have her on Purina Critical Care 5.5 oz wet food. Tuesday and Wednesday she had 3/4 can. Today, she will have a full can. The vet said not to give her electrolytes because it may cause potassium levels to be too high.
I apologize for the long message. It is time-sensitive, and I will not have had time to get the holistic vet you recommended on the treatment team. I am so grateful to you and your team for the service you provide here and your dedication. You are amazing!

PS: What is BEAM love?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Christina! Thanks for spending your time with me today.
Is this correct? Do enemas and Miralax cause dehydration?
Yes, they can.
does she need electrolyte replenishment after each?
The vet will probably give her fluids that contain electrolytes before or after the enema.

My believe is also that it was not the catalyst for her finally defecating. She had been given qi gong the day before. Correlation, I suppose. What are your thoughts?
Yes. The fluids and Miralax can help with her pooping.

Can a cat who has 33cc of water 5 times a day become dehydrated?
I think it's possible, but unlikely. Here's a nice fluid therapy guide (oral is similar):

Does the water dilute the electrolytes that she is supposed to get from the wet food?
Yes. Perhaps use something like this to supplement her electrolytes:

What is BEAM love?
HA! That refers to her BEAM (Behavior, Energy and Mood) and meditations, Reiki and other ways of sending ("beaming") healing intentions and love.

ChristinaP

Registered
You're welcome Christina! Thanks for spending your time with me today.

Yes, they can.

The vet will probably give her fluids that contain electrolytes before or after the enema.

Yes. The fluids and Miralax can help with her pooping.

I think it's possible, but unlikely. Here's a nice fluid therapy guide (oral is similar):

Yes. Perhaps use something like this to supplement her electrolytes:

HA! That refers to her BEAM (Behavior, Energy and Mood) and meditations, Reiki and other ways of sending ("beaming") healing intentions and love.
Thank you for all your answers, which are, as always, most helpful. The vet said Monday that, while Cappuccine is at home, she doesn't want us to give her electrolytes because of the potential to cause high potassium levels. Maybe this has something to do with the potassium in her food or another source?

She had her first bowel movement in the early morning hours today. It wasn't super large, but it was 3.5 inches (this is what I do now: get excited about poop and measure it). I would love to be able to spare her the stress of going to the vet for an enema and potential dehydration accompanying it. Can I give her something to help it pass more easily? I will watch the 101 videos, but the vet is only open today until 5:30 and tomorrow until 12pm, so time-sensitive. PS: I am operating on a sleep deficit and trying to remember things that were discussed that I didn't write down :)

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Christina!

It was great seeing you on today's Q&A.

I am also super happy to hear about her poop. Was it dry, moist, crumbly, etc.?
Can I give her something to help it pass more easily?
Lots of fluids, structure water, continue with the celery juice in the feeding tube that we discussed.

Did you do anything different yesterday prior to today's poop?

ChristinaP

Registered
You're welcome Christina!

It was great seeing you on today's Q&A.
You, too!!!
I am also super happy to hear about her poop. Was it dry, moist, crumbly, etc.?
It was moist, medium brown in color. Then, there was a very small harder one on the floor, unfortunately.
Lots of fluids, structure water, continue with the celery juice in the feeding tube that we discussed.
Ok, thank you. I will begin the celery water tomorrow. 1cc to start. She is very sensitive.
Did you do anything different yesterday prior to today's poop?
We didn't do anything differently. She may have had a reiki session yesterday, but we've been praying to the angels, mostly, giving her love and attention. I also gave her a couple of pinches of pre/probiotic. Not the ideal one, but that one you mentioned has been shipped.

We are living for the poop, apparently. That is our life, at the moment. Will she or won't she? Send positive poop thoughts her way if you wouldn't mind! :)
So, she is still on the antibiotic for the UTI. I have been giving her a small pinch of D-Mannose--all we have until the cranberry powder arrives. Do I give the pre/probiotic apart from the antibiotic? There are differing views on this one.
Also, she is getting 0.33ml of Cerenia. You suggested lowering the dose little by little. How much smaller of a dosage would you lower it to, to start? And, in what increments?
She did actually eat some of the kibble treats we gave her--maybe about 4-5. I am concerned that she won't digest it properly, though. She would not take it in powder form.
AND....I put some food with mackerel and sardines on my finger and she took about 4 doses from my finger :)
What do you think about colloidal silver for UTI? Or for nausea? I think she still has it, and when I feel nauseated (not often) colloidal silver relieves it.
Thank you very much for your advice!
Christina

ChristinaP

Registered
You, too!!!

It was moist, medium brown in color. Then, there was a very small harder one on the floor, unfortunately.

Ok, thank you. I will begin the celery water tomorrow. 1cc to start. She is very sensitive.

We didn't do anything differently. She may have had a reiki session yesterday, but we've been praying to the angels, mostly, giving her love and attention. I also gave her a couple of pinches of pre/probiotic. Not the ideal one, but that one you mentioned has been shipped.

We are living for the poop, apparently. That is our life, at the moment. Will she or won't she? Send positive poop thoughts her way if you wouldn't mind! :)
So, she is still on the antibiotic for the UTI. I have been giving her a small pinch of D-Mannose--all we have until the cranberry powder arrives. Do I give the pre/probiotic apart from the antibiotic? There are differing views on this one.
Also, she is getting 0.33ml of Cerenia. You suggested lowering the dose little by little. How much smaller of a dosage would you lower it to, to start? And, in what increments?
She did actually eat some of the kibble treats we gave her--maybe about 4-5. I am concerned that she won't digest it properly, though. She would not take it in powder form.
AND....I put some food with mackerel and sardines on my finger and she took about 4 doses from my finger :)
What do you think about colloidal silver for UTI? Or for nausea? I think she has it. She licks her lips occasionally, mostly after feeding, but sometimes in between feedings. Is it connected, actually, to nausea? When I feel nauseated (not often) colloidal silver relieves it.
Thank you very much for your advice!
Christina
Update: 24 hours with no new bowel movement. The vet closes at 12pm today. What would you recommend, at this time? They do not open again until Monday. Enema? or wait it out? It just occurred to me (duh!) that if she can't vomit, she won't get rid of a hairball if necessary. So, I think our next dosage of antivomiting agent definitely needs to be reduced.

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Do I give the pre/probiotic apart from the antibiotic? T
I do indeed separate them by at least 6 hours if possible.
You suggested lowering the dose little by little. How much smaller of a dosage would you lower it to, to start? And, in what increments?
Great question! Since your vet recommends stopping it altogether, you may want to use your intuition about amount, e.g. lower it by 25% a day. Importantly tho is to evaluate her response to the changes.
YAY! :snowman: ?
What do you think about colloidal silver for UTI? Or for nausea?
I'm not a big fan of it orally, tho it can be great topically. However, whether to use it in any way depends on the sensitivity of the individual.

Let's all join the C.I. E. to investigate questions like this!

Where C=Context, I=Interpretation and Empowerment is the result of making decisions informed by context and interpretation.

ChristinaP

Registered
I do indeed separate them by at least 6 hours if possible.

Great question! Since your vet recommends stopping it altogether, you may want to use your intuition about amount, e.g. lower it by 25% a day. Importantly tho is to evaluate her response to the changes.

YAY! :snowman: ?

I'm not a big fan of it orally, tho it can be great topically. However, whether to use it in any way depends on the sensitivity of the individual.

Let's all join the C.I. E. to investigate questions like this!

Where C=Context, I=Interpretation and Empowerment is the result of making decisions informed by context and interpretation.
Thank you for all this!!! I am finally feeling as if I know something.
Cappuccine had another bowel movement. Larger than the last one! Same texture and color--medium brown. Maybe a bit less soft. But, with positive comes not so positive: During the 2nd and 3rd feedings, she was grinding her teeth and licking her lips considerably more than during past feedings. Does this mean digestive discomfort?
For the silver, I was thinking of using the Sovereign Silver first aid gel on her incision, but I am not sure about rocking that boat, at the moment.
UPDATE: This morning at around 6:30 am, we reduced the cerenia by 25%. She is still on the antibiotic, though, so I hope the nausea she feels doesn't cause her to reject food.
We still don't know what caused all this, but I suspect anxiety had a part to play in it.

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Christina!

Im very glad to hear that you’re feeling more comfortable with all of the context relating to Cappucine’s dis-ease.

Does this mean digestive discomfort?
It could indeed be a sign of nausea/discomfort.

Yes. Sovereign Silver on the wound could work well.

Did you reduce the Cerenia before the tooth grinding incident?

Hows her BEAM score and happiness factor today?

ChristinaP

Registered
YW Christina!

Im very glad to hear that you’re feeling more comfortable with all of the context relating to Cappucine’s dis-ease.

It could indeed be a sign of nausea/discomfort.

Yes. Sovereign Silver on the wound could work well.

Did you reduce the Cerenia before the tooth grinding incident?

Hows her BEAM score and happiness factor today?
Ok, wonderful about CS. I am always a bit hesitant to alter "the plan". I am praying to the angel of peace for more self-confidence.

Her teeth grinding was yesterday. We lowered the dosage by 1/4 today only, so far. I am hoping it works out that this does not.open a window for her to vomit.

I gave her two pinches of pre/probiotic and two pinches of cranberry powder. In the past, she has been very sensitive to any changes, so I have gotten used to baby steps with her. At the next feeding, I will give her a tiny bit of celery juice. She would probably prefer flavorless structured water. I saw a device that creates structured water with a wand, and, if you don't break it, it will last forever.

She didn't object as much to the three feedings, so far, but she has been sleeping them off. I was petting her when, after a little bit, she tried to scratch me. That is normal for her. That is her warning signal. I heard her purr a bit. She is keeping to herself. Rather than dance with her participation, I danced in the same room twice today.

Many thanks!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom