• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Constipation, nausea, not eating

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW= You're welcome.

ChristinaP

Registered
YW= You're welcome.
Hello,
Ok, I get it. :)
So, We reduced the cerenia to a little less than 3/4. Meaning that we gave her a less than 3/4 dosage. Original dosage was 0.33mg. Cappuccine has been grinding her teeth and licking, more so than she did before. What can you make of this? Should we give her the rest of the dosage, since it is both antivomiting and antinausea? Our vet's office is closed until tomorrow at 8:00am. No on-call doctors to ask.

Thank you :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
In order to properly answer your question, the most important thing to know first is...?

ChristinaP

Registered
In order to properly answer your question, the most important thing to know first is...?
BEAM score?
Behavior - Cappuccine has been trying more to avoid feedings. After all the feedings today, so far, she just wanted to sleep. She got up occasionally and changed positions or areas in the room.
Energy - Very low
Appetite - There was one time today when she was looking for food, but oddly, it was shortly after we gave her a feeding. She sniffed at the food, but she didn't eat anything. She did lick up a bit of organic catnip, though. I had hoped she'd rolled around in it like she used to, because I was told it can help with nausea and help with calming her.
Mood - Can lethargic be a mood? or is that a behavior? She doesn't seem happy, but I feel as if I am ascribing this to her. Maybe she is ok with what she is going through, having a more direct connection with the divine and knowing what she is supposed to do or go through.
She urinated 4 times today, and she defecated once, about 4 inches, light to medium brown, and maybe the consistency of soft clay.
She went outside with us, both on the front porch and the back deck. She walked around sniffing things, observing. That was before the 4th of 5 feedings. After the feeding, she gnashed her teeth (grinded) more than normal, and licked. As her surrogate, I tapped on the stomach acupressure point. She finally calmed down and slept. Now, we are coming up on the 5th and last feeding, and we are kind of dreading it because of how she behaved all day after them. We approach them all, though, with positive intentions. We pet her whenever possible, and she purrs occasionally. I think she is having difficulty processing everything. From what I understand, animals are very sensitive to Rx chemicals, and she has been taking several:
antivomit, antibiotic, appetite stimulant. Additionally, she has a probiotic, celery juice, cranberry/d-mannose.
We are supposed to give her the antibiotic until Wednesday, and I can't wait to have her complete the round. Praying it is enough.
Did I complete your sentence correctly? I have always gotten nervous when I feel I am being tested :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Did I complete your sentence correctly?
Yes! And this question was definitely not a test but just an awkward attempt on my part to have you focus on the bigger picture.

Change in BEAM are more important than one off or sporadic symptoms such as the tooth grinding.

Another example is a bloody stool or vomit. Is that cause to panic and rush to the ER? My answer would be the same.

It depends on the full context of BEAM changes and the bigger picture.

OK?

ChristinaP

Registered
Yes, that makes sense. She seems to be gnashing her teeth more frequently during and after feedings, and she seems more low energy than in the past. She doesn't seem to recover as well. It is confusing because she has several things going on: fatty liver, uti (for which she has been getting antibiotics). That could be damaging her stomach lining (even though I give it to her with her feeding). There was mention of IBD. I see the word "balance" and I think that is the problem: Her microbiome is completely out of balance. The problem is that if she does not accept her feedings she will die, but they also seem to cause her pain or discomfort. I have been giving her probiotics and d-mannose outside of antibiotics. I just received the probiotics that you recommended. After her feeding with celery juice she was very lethargic, but now, in general, she appears lethargic. Gastrointestinal distress. I feel guilty sometimes putting her through this all.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, I understand the guilt. It's sometimes helpful to think of her as a middle age/older kitty and not an "old" cat.

Kitties commonly live into their 20s and even 30s (and beyond!).

What did she used to love to do more than anything? Focusing on these things while restoring balance will work best.

In case we didn't already discuss this Christina, 3-4 Happy Dances/day and adding a trained vet homeopath to her vet care team would be good things to do.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Though you said you did nothing differently - you did! "She may have had a reiki session yesterday, but we've been praying to the angels, mostly, giving her love and attention."

those are the most important healing approaches. Maybe you and your husband can listen to Dr. Bernie Siegel and Anitra Frazier at Holistic Actions, and on youtube for all paws pet talk tv. This will help you stay in that positive thought/heart centered.

Also, when you have a moment to breathe, start putting together your holistic health care team, maybe with a phone call homeopathic vet if no one is near - www.holisticactions.com/select

You are doing great.

Dr. Christina

ChristinaP

Registered
Though you said you did nothing differently - you did! "She may have had a reiki session yesterday, but we've been praying to the angels, mostly, giving her love and attention."

those are the most important healing approaches. Maybe you and your husband can listen to Dr. Bernie Siegel and Anitra Frazier at Holistic Actions, and on youtube for all paws pet talk tv. This will help you stay in that positive thought/heart centered.

Also, when you have a moment to breathe, start putting together your holistic health care team, maybe with a phone call homeopathic vet if no one is near - www.holisticactions.com/selecthttp://www.holisticactions.com/select
You are doing great.

Dr. Christina
Thank you!!!!! And, you read my mind. Dr. Jeff gave me a recommendation for a holistic vet, but he doesn't have availability until mid-September, so I was going to ask for another recommendation. Thank you for the link :)

So...the last 15 hours have been odd:
After yesterday's morning feeding where she basically told us that she had had enough of the feedings, that she just couldn't take it anymore, we stopped.

Last night, I did some surrogate brain heart adrenal balancing for her, I did the happy dance. She didn't eat on her own, and we didn't want her to go to bed with an empty stomach, so we gave her small dosage of tube feeding and water. I stopped when she gnashed her teeth, so it wasn't much at all, but it was something. This morning, her vet's office called to say our primary vet was going to fit her in-between his other appointments for the day. We jumped on it because we wanted to see where things were with her. AND...she ate during the nighttime hours! WOW!
We got her ready for the ride to the vet. My husband, holding her, sat in back, but he lost control of her and she hid behind the back seat---which was the first time we'd ever thought there was enough room back there. We pried her out, finally, and...well, I call it God's hand, divine intervention for her...she somehow got her tube caught on something and out it came, and off came her collar. After I got over the shock, I realized that it was a sign. No more tube feeding.
At the vet, she was, of course, anxious and finding ways to hide, but she was semi-cooperative and semi-scrappy...which is who she is. The vet came back with the bloodwork and urinalysis, and was so excited to tell us that though the liver enzymes were still elevated, they were much improved; and, no more UTI. So, no more antibiotics. We decided to have her stay on the cerenia for now, so the nausea is reduced and she has the desire to eat.
Which she did, when we got back. She has been eating a little here, a little there, but it is consistent. She had a large bowel movement, urinated, and is sleeping and following me around. I did another happy dance (I hope it works for her when she doesn't participate because she did not want to cooperate last night), and she ate more...so I guess I answered my question.
All this to say that, though she is not out of the woods, she seems to have forged a path out.
This may be an "up" and there may be a "down," but I am hopeful that this is an upward trajectory.
Mindset is #1 :)
Many thanks!
Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
The vet came back with the bloodwork and urinalysis, and was so excited to tell us that though the liver enzymes were still elevated, they were much improved; and, no more UTI. So, no more antibiotics.
Yay!

Wonderful work Christina!! Go Cappuccine!!?:cat:⚡⚡⚡

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Who is the holistic vet Dr. Jeff suggested?

You are doing a great job!! Keep it up!!

Dr. Christina

ChristinaP

Registered
Thank you!!!!! And, you read my mind. Dr. Jeff gave me a recommendation for a holistic vet, but he doesn't have availability until mid-September, so I was going to ask for another recommendation. Thank you for the link :)

So...the last 15 hours have been odd:
After yesterday's morning feeding where she basically told us that she had had enough of the feedings, that she just couldn't take it anymore, we stopped.

Last night, I did some surrogate brain heart adrenal balancing for her, I did the happy dance. She didn't eat on her own, and we didn't want her to go to bed with an empty stomach, so we gave her small dosage of tube feeding and water. I stopped when she gnashed her teeth, so it wasn't much at all, but it was something. This morning, her vet's office called to say our primary vet was going to fit her in-between his other appointments for the day. We jumped on it because we wanted to see where things were with her. AND...she ate during the nighttime hours! WOW!
We got her ready for the ride to the vet. My husband, holding her, sat in back, but he lost control of her and she hid behind the back seat---which was the first time we'd ever thought there was enough room back there. We pried her out, finally, and...well, I call it God's hand, divine intervention for her...she somehow got her tube caught on something and out it came, and off came her collar. After I got over the shock, I realized that it was a sign. No more tube feeding.
At the vet, she was, of course, anxious and finding ways to hide, but she was semi-cooperative and semi-scrappy...which is who she is. The vet came back with the bloodwork and urinalysis, and was so excited to tell us that though the liver enzymes were still elevated, they were much improved; and, no more UTI. So, no more antibiotics. We decided to have her stay on the cerenia for now, so the nausea is reduced and she has the desire to eat.
Which she did, when we got back. She has been eating a little here, a little there, but it is consistent. She had a large bowel movement, urinated, and is sleeping and following me around. I did another happy dance (I hope it works for her when she doesn't participate because she did not want to cooperate last night), and she ate more...so I guess I answered my question.
All this to say that, though she is not out of the woods, she seems to have forged a path out.
This may be an "up" and there may be a "down," but I am hopeful that this is an upward trajectory.
Mindset is #1 :)
Many thanks!
Christina
Well, looks as if today is a "down" day. She has barely eaten. We have been giving her water, but not nearly as much as she received in the tube. I am concerned that her liver is overworked trying to get the medications out of her system. Is there anything that I can do about that when she is not eating? Thank you.

ChristinaP

Registered
Who is the holistic vet Dr. Jeff suggested?

You are doing a great job!! Keep it up!!

Dr. Christina
Dr. Todd Cooney. The reiki master and animal intuitive suggested finding an animal homeopath that might be able to get her starting on something for liver clearance, but again, I feel as if it is a race against time. There has been a rollercoaster of emotions. I try to keep a clear head, but it is so hard and discouraging when one day she is doing well, and the next she is not.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Your emotions are really critical. You saw her improve when you did the surrogate work, so continue that.

It is fine to have ups and downs. Usually happens.

Sit for a moment in quiet and ask yourself, "How does worrying right now affect the quality of life right now for each one of us?" would it be better to miserably worry until she either gets better or choses to transition, or can I stay in the moment regardless of the outcome?"

We have all been there. It is a constant learning for all of us. You are not alone.

Check if Dr. Cooney has a cancellation list to work you in sooner. he is great.

Dr.Christina

ChristinaP

Registered
Yes, you are right. It feels so desperate, though, and I know you understand that. Cats can go off the cliff in a matter of days. I will do more surrogate work and on myself, as well. I will check with Dr. Cooney, but is there another homeopathic vet you could recommend, just in case? Do you know Charles Loops in North Carolina?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thank you! Judith Herman?
Yes!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom