• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

DSLD/ESPA

cecilia

VIP Member
Registered
I have two older horses with issues.  One is a Thoroughbred gelding (Rory), 25 years old, who has DSLD/ESPA, a genetic degenerative connective tissue disorder.  He is an ex-hunter/jumper, tore his left hind suspensory when in competition (twice) 2009-2010, has had surgery (twice) to repair, stem cell treatments and stable rest - this happened when he was with his previous guardians.  His posture has changed dramatically compensating for dropped hind fetlocks.  Seems he has developed calcifications, lesions, and scar tissue along his back and hips.  He had sciatica.  He cannot extend his hind legs and "hike" to pee, has urinary incontinence, and salacious bladder.  He is on Previcox, 57 mg., daily.  I also give him fresh cilantro daily, along with herbs and supplements, mixed into moistened timothy hay pellets.  He is on a dry lot, although has been on pasture in the past.  I do many therapies to make him more comfortable, but they are simply treating the clinical signs.  What more can be done for Rory?

My other horse is an Anglo-Arabian mare (Natchez-Trace), 24 years old, who also has dropped hind fetlocks, but her fetlocks are swollen and hardened.  Seems to have SI joint issues as well.  I do not know if she has DSLD/ESPA or Cushing's, or insulin resistance (IR).  I am having blood drawn tomorrow to rule out Cushing's and/or IR.  She resides in the same paddock as my gelding so she receives the same herbs and supplements.  What more can I do for Natchez?

I muscle-test weekly for herbs/supplements as to efficacy and safety for both horses.  Has anyone had any experience with these issues?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome Cecilia!

I'm not even close to being an equine expert, but I do know one thing for 110% certainty.

As living beings with vital forces, your horses symptoms of internal imbalance will improve (and even resolve) by increasing their vitality.

The cilantro and herbs are a great start towards incorporating more fresh foods in their diet (which will increase their vitality)!

For example, as you can hear on last night's Empower Hour, Robin helped her kitty's body cure pancreatitis symptoms (in a confirmed case of pancreatitis) just by increasing vitality with massage, petting, loving, etc.

Is there anything that either horse just loves, loves, loves (and can do)?

In addition, their healing abilities can be stimulated with homeopathy.

The HMDM protocol that we teach you will be greatly augmented by individualization using homeopathy.

You might want to take a look at some of the posts in the homeopathy folder for more info.

And of course, post any other questions.

Dr. Jeff

cecilia

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you, Dr. Jeff, for your quick and supportive response to my post.

Yes, their vitality is improved with regular energy work by me, which both horses love (CranioSacral, TTouch and TTouch wrapping, Reiki, Body Code and Emotion Code sessions, LLL therapy, LifeWave patching), and sports taping, all of which is done with love.  Or, just grooming them often is enjoyed immensely.  Touch applied along with unconditional love works miracles.

Rory actually has received homeopathic therapies.  I look forward to learning more from this site and applying it to my horses.

Thanks again,

Cecilia

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom