• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Looking for Caprovet Substitute for Torn Canine CCL

HA! Support

Administrator
VIP Member
Registered
Posting on behalf of RobinT:

My pup was limping, holding his right hind just slightly off the ground Monday and I got xrays with a vet today. He says it's much inflammation around a torn CCL and surgery is recommended to repair torn knee ligament. Basically, it may appear to get better on its own but eventually arthritic lameness will set in without surgery.

Are there any holistic substitutes for the NSAID caprovet (inflammation/ pain) which has awful liver, kidney side effects? Any advice besides a 2nd opinion? I know to restrict his movement while healing.

@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Kim, thanks for posting on behalf of Robin.

The short answer is yes, there are many natural and holistic options rather than using an anti-!

However, the full answer is that there may be an even more holistic approach. It depends on the context of the lameness, e.g. age, size, sex, weight, diet, history, etc.

I'd advise a different (not strictly 2nd) opinion. Perhaps with one of the great virtual vet homeopaths Dr. Todd Cooney, Judy Herman, Adriana Sagrera (Kim should be able to direct you or search the forum or Google), etc.

Or go to the select article to find a local vet:

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
For Robin: Your vet may be exaggerating a bit on the necessity for surgery in order to effect a long-term resolution. My integrative vet is one of the cutting-edge, so to speak, vets who routinely supervise healing with a variety of modalities including crate rest, super-adequate nutrition, careful limitation on movement, and custom braces to address individual cases. I would shop around, and, as Dr. Jeff suggested, look for alternative vets and homeopaths. Healing methods for these tears has developed a LOT in the last ten years or so. And the typical surgery is by no means free of sequelae, with arthritis developing in the altered joint throughout the dog's life. If you like, you may check out my vet's website - she's on the west coast, but would consult by phone or Zoom and has contacts all over the country: finndvm.com, and you may use my name. I have experience with my own dogs and others close to me, of both surgical and noninvasive methods, and there is no way I would blindly approve a surgery without careful consideration of alternatives.

RobinT

Registered
Thank you for confirming that there is a holistic approach to even CCL tears! I found a holistic vet in suburbs of Chicago, Dr. Elisa Katz. I was seeking a vaccine exemption and tips on avoiding constipation on raw food diet. However, she was booked out a month and I still have the initial consult on the 15th.

Meanwhile, I want to give him a natural equivalent of caprovet NSAID for pain and inflammation. Anyone know of a good one? Also, I would like a custom brace before the 15th. And I am open to contacting your vet and the other 2 vets who do zoom consults.

Thank you again Dr Jeff & Ginny!

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Custom braces are just that: custom. An evaluation and a cast must be made for proper fit and function. See Orthopet for an example; they work with the vet.

I am not a homeopath, but I can think of useful remedies in the meantime. Also, as I mentioned, crate rest and superadequate nutrition - look into collagen protein, lots of bone broth - and energy medicine such as all the hands-on stuff in our webinars. A laser would also be helpful, but don't rush in and buy a cheap imitation. Check out Vetrolaser for info. Mostly, be calm, and don't let your dog be an idiot, but allow a bit of movement for maintaining strength and sanity.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I would not get a brace since your appointment is only a week away. As Ginny said they need to be custom fitted and it may not be needed.

This would be a great time for you to begin learning energy healing that you can offer as the knee heals - and it can heal without surgery. Just sitting with your pup and intending for healing, seeing no pain is a beginning. Be sure to watch Dr. Bernie Siegel's webinar, as well as the many other energy webinars we have covered or will in the future, including many of the following. Any of these can be learned for people and used with the animals - Reiki, HTA (healing touch for animals), EFT (emotion freedom technique), Bengston Method, Eden energy medicine, Tellington TTouch, Acupressure, Chi Gong, Tui Na, Tong Ren, WEBB, Prayer; Hands on intention; Prayer; Theta healing, Scalar Wave; Emotion code.

Dr. Katz is a good choice for your veterinarian as she is trained in many modalities, including homeopathy. You do not need to also consult with other veterinarians at this point - she how you resonate with Dr. Katz.

Please study the 101 class to see this lameness in context, to maybe take steps to improve vitality which will help healing and give you tools to evaluate progress.

A great book for understanding how animals become ill and heal, along with perspectives on each body system is Don Hamilton's Homeopathic Care of Cats and Dogs.

Dr. Christina

RobinT

Registered
I would not get a brace since your appointment is only a week away. As Ginny said they need to be custom fitted and it may not be needed.

This would be a great time for you to begin learning energy healing that you can offer as the knee heals - and it can heal without surgery. Just sitting with your pup and intending for healing, seeing no pain is a beginning. Be sure to watch Dr. Bernie Siegel's webinar, as well as the many other energy webinars we have covered or will in the future, including many of the following. Any of these can be learned for people and used with the animals - Reiki, HTA (healing touch for animals), EFT (emotion freedom technique), Bengston Method, Eden energy medicine, Tellington TTouch, Acupressure, Chi Gong, Tui Na, Tong Ren, WEBB, Prayer; Hands on intention; Prayer; Theta healing, Scalar Wave; Emotion code.

Dr. Katz is a good choice for your veterinarian as she is trained in many modalities, including homeopathy. You do not need to also consult with other veterinarians at this point - she how you resonate with Dr. Katz.

Please study the 101 class to see this lameness in context, to maybe take steps to improve vitality which will help healing and give you tools to evaluate progress.

A great book for understanding how animals become ill and heal, along with perspectives on each body system is Don Hamilton's Homeopathic Care of Cats and Dogs.

Dr. Christina
Wow! Thanku Dr. Christina This is more than I hoped for. I do reiki on him but I'm only Level I. I will follow up on all these resources!

RobinT

Registered
Custom braces are just that: custom. An evaluation and a cast must be made for proper fit and function. See Orthopet for an example; they work with the vet.

I am not a homeopath, but I can think of useful remedies in the meantime. Also, as I mentioned, crate rest and superadequate nutrition - look into collagen protein, lots of bone broth - and energy medicine such as all the hands-on stuff in our webinars. A laser would also be helpful, but don't rush in and buy a cheap imitation. Check out Vetrolaser for info. Mostly, be calm, and don't let your dog be an idiot, but allow a bit of movement for maintaining strength and sanity.
Awesome nutrition suggestions Ginny! I can certainly do this!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom