• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

2 y/o M Bunny — In pain after UTI treatment

LaurenM

Community Member
Registered
Hello, @Dr. Jeff, @Dr. Christina, @Dr. Sara & others—Could I get your help with this?

I can't understand what pain my bunny's experiencing and how urgent it is. Thanks!

1. Your pet's name — Juniper

2. Approximate age — 2

3. Sex — M

4. Neutering status — Not neutered

5. Breed — Rex Bunny

6. Approximate weight — 2lbs

7. What's their BEAM —
behavior—
grinding teeth loudly when sitting, started licking his lips and other things after medication (see below), has started hunching over and closing his eyes a bit, seems like he's going to the bathroom slightly less? Not having to change his litter as often, though his poop looks fine currently
energy—low energy
appetite—fine
mood—seems depressed

8. Diet — Oxbow timothy hay, Oxbow adult rabbit pellets, normally a bowl of romaine lettuce, couple dehydrated fruit pieces every day or two (he also eats cardboard when he should probably just be chewing it ?)

9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication — off of for 2-3 weeks:

SMZ/TMP Suspension 48mg/mL
Meloxicam Oral Suspension - 1.5mg/mL l4.5
Bene-Bac Pet Gel 15g

10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time — UTI—signs started after a move mid-February (I cleaned w/ very natural products). Grinding teeth. Hunching. He's now licking his lips a lot and licking other things in his cage, which he didn't do until he was on his medicines.

11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? — Haven't noticed any difference. He can get up and hop around and some days he's very active. But sits a lot more lately.

12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them.) — attached his emergency vet visit notes. UTI previously. Xrays taken too from fainting and falling, no sign of bone injury

13. Current and previous treatment. — medication noted above. Currently none

14. Other health concerns. — Not sure if I've been giving too much Romaine. I recently stopped and have been focusing on timothy hay and he eats his pellets.
He had tar-colored stool when taking his pain medication. Called the vets and they said to stop it and didn't seem too concerned.

Had cecotropes that went away after a bit. Came back after giving him bigger sizes of Romaine. Stopped that and they stopped, too.

When Sides of his legs are slightly matted/sticky from licking or chewing? That's been present for a bit but emergency vets didn't really say much about it.

Attachments

• Juniper Emergency Vet Details.pdf
    827.2 KB · Views: 4

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Lauren!

I'm sorry to hear about Juniper's health challenges.

Yes, if he seems to be in pain, then a vet ER visit is a good idea.

@Dr. Christina, does Dr. Jen see bunnies?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Lauren!

I hope that Juniper does well.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Lauren, would you be interested in working with a homeopathic vet virtually?

till then, offer healing intentions several times a day, keep your thoughts positive, do some laughter yoga and maybe put some rescue remedy or Stress Stopper (on his fur (dilute 4 drops in 1 oz water)

Dr. Christina

LaurenM

Community Member
Registered
Hi, guys! Dr. Christina, sorry I didn't see your message sooner.

I took him to the ER and he ended up having GI Stasis pretty badly. They got it turned around, and now I have him on a diet of hay and lettuce and little bits of fruit. No more pellets, which seemed to bother him the most. He's doing MUCH better and is back to his happy self! Thank you both!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yay!:snowman:😍

I'm super glad that Juniper is doing better.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom