• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Worms in the wound of my chicken

VirginieV

Community Member
Registered
Dears,

My chicken Grisette has a skin cancer on her legs.
This causes wounds that do not heal and crusts.
I clean them twice a day and protect them very well so that she can go outside and enjoy the best life she can.
This morning I found 2 worms in one of her wound :( I am scared it's a bad sign.
I cleaned it very well and desinfected it with iso-betadine. I didn't know what to use best. I didn't see more than 2.
I also called my regular vet but he is in consultation and will call me back asap.

Any idea what I could do? I know it can go very fast.

Thanks for your help and support

Virginie

HA! Support

Administrator
All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Virginie.

This is Kim from Support. I am NOT a vet but until one responds, I want you to feel a little more at ease. Were the worms small and like rice? If so, they could have been maggots. Some flies will lay their eggs on wounds because the larvae will feed there. In some cases, the maggots will even clean the wound (although I'm not advocating in any way for this - it can get out of hand...). I had a flock of sheep for 20+ years and sometimes I would have to deal with this. If you see more, simply pick them off and try to rest easy until you hear from @Dr. Christina or @Dr. Jeff
((((HUGS))) for you and your chicken! She's lucky to have such an attentive mom!

VirginieV

Community Member
Registered
Hi Kim
Oooh thank you for your answer and hugs! Both did good! To both Grisette and myself.
Yes they were maggots! My goodness I was not expecting that and panicked a little bit I must say… ??
I checked and cleaned the wound 3 times and I don’t see any more of them ????
Really thank you for your answer. It already reassured me and helped a lot.
I am in Belgium so I am aware there is a time difference with you guys, I really appreciate you answered and know that I can’t expect answers directly ??
So grateful I got to know HA! ?

HA! Support

Administrator
All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Virginie.
I'm happy to hear that you haven't seen any more on Grisette, and I'm glad I offered some reassurance!
Kim

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much Kim for diagnosing the problem and posting the great ideas of not panicking and just picking out the maggots?
?

beccak

All-Access Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hi Virginie!
You are doing a wonderful job with/for Grisette! Chickens are so special. I have 11, 10 hens and 1 Roo.
I use fly eliminators to help control my fly/maggot population. I still get some flies, but not near as many. Fewer flies might help prevent future occurrences. I also suspect cooler weather is on the way and that should completely clear the flies.
I like this group. I'm confident if you do a forum word search using wound and maggot, you will find some results. I'm not sure what kind of advice will be offered ;)
Lastly, I would probably use some sort of fly spray/deterrent around her wound.
Good luck, feel free to share a picture of Grisette, I would love to see her!
Becca

VirginieV

Community Member
Registered
Last but not least, my dear Grisette and her friend, Lambic :)
No more maggots since then. Thanks again for your support. It was impressive for me so indeed I panicked a bit ;)Grisette & Lambic.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
They're both beautiful!

Thanks for sharing this pic Virginie!!

Monique

All-Access Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hi Virginie.

This is Kim from Support. I am NOT a vet but until one responds, I want you to feel a little more at ease. Were the worms small and like rice? If so, they could have been maggots. Some flies will lay their eggs on wounds because the larvae will feed there. In some cases, the maggots will even clean the wound (although I'm not advocating in any way for this - it can get out of hand...). I had a flock of sheep for 20+ years and sometimes I would have to deal with this. If you see more, simply pick them off and try to rest easy until you hear from @Dr. Christina or @Dr. Jeff
((((HUGS))) for you and your chicken! She's lucky to have such an attentive mom!
Dears,

My chicken Grisette has a skin cancer on her legs.
This causes wounds that do not heal and crusts.
I clean them twice a day and protect them very well so that she can go outside and enjoy the best life she can.
This morning I found 2 worms in one of her wound :( I am scared it's a bad sign.
I cleaned it very well and desinfected it with iso-betadine. I didn't know what to use best. I didn't see more than 2.
I also called my regular vet but he is in consultation and will call me back asap.

Any idea what I could do? I know it can go very fast.

Thanks for your help and support

Virginie

Virginie ? I agree with Kim's suggestions ? and I too will leave the support part to the amazing professionals in this forum. What I can offer is my humble experience.
A mosquito net around Grisette's house could help to keep the flies from bothering her and laying more eggs.

I also have a story that made me shift my perceptions around my own horror of imagining maggots in my cat's wound. When my vets abandoned me with my cat Tao with a hole in his throat, I was overwhelmed in both not knowing how to take care of the wound and second I feared maggots taking up residence in my cat's neck. So I called my friend in the UK, a very well known surgeon, for help. (I didn't know HA at the time). This is what he replied to me when I asked him, how to bandage up my cat's neck in order to avoid flies leaving their eggs in my cat Tao's wound. He said: do you know that behind closed doors, even in our hospital we use maggots to clean wounds? They are amazing, as they only eat away the cancerous parts, leaving the healthy parts nice and clean. He then asked me: do you want to be sociably acceptable or do you want to allow nature to do what it does well as well as keep your cat loving you without having to fight with him in order to put a bandage around his neck?
You have faced so many challenges my dear and you are doing an amazing job! Your lovely Grisette is lucky to have you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing Monique!

beccak

All-Access Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Virginie!! Grisette and Lambic are stunningly gorgeous! They are out on a picnic ❤️❤️❤️

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Indeed, lovely! I SO miss my hens; they're not, strictly speaking, allowed here, but I could probably get away with a few. Love their names, too:)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom