• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Open wound on kitty’s upper body/arnica

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hello!

My indoor/outdoor cat has a wound on his upper body. I put some calendula cream on it. Can I give him some arnica? 30 c? He is going to fight me to go out. He is not the kind of cat that lets me keep him indoors. We also have 2 other cats that don’t bother him but he gets grumpy with them when he can’t go out. I’m worried about him getting his wound hurt even more out there. What do you recommend I do? Can’t I give him anything else? Can I put anything on it topically? Thank you for your advice!! @Dr. Barbara @Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Jessica @Dr. Linda @Dr. Sara @Dr.Eli @Dr.Lorrie @Dr. Christina @drabenda

IMG_8089.jpeg

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Wash it well with warm soapy water and do not put anything on it. Creams, ointments, etc. will just seal in bacteria and create an infection. It is not a bruise so Arnica is not appropriate. Use a warm compress on it a couple of times a day if possible. Can't really see but this could be a deeper puncture underneath, so watch carefully for infection. Since we don't know the cause I'd hesitate with homeopathy, since a remedy for a scrape wound is not the same as a bite or puncture. Keep him in for a day if you can, so we can keep track of it. Please post pix tomorrow!

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Wash it well with warm soapy water and do not put anything on it. Creams, ointments, etc. will just seal in bacteria and create an infection. It is not a bruise so Arnica is not appropriate. Use a warm compress on it a couple of times a day if possible. Can't really see but this could be a deeper puncture underneath, so watch carefully for infection. Since we don't know the cause I'd hesitate with homeopathy, since a remedy for a scrape wound is not the same as a bite or puncture. Keep him in for a day if you can, so we can keep track of it. Please post pix tomorrow!
Thank you so much for your prompt response!! I washed it and I’m keeping in in. I will send new photos tomorrow. Have a great night!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Anytime there is a symptom of any sort, it is important to look at the whole individual to decide what needs to be done, then do it. Then re-evaluate the whole animal to know if you are moving in the right direction.

How is his BEAM - behavior, energy level, appetite, mood?
How lame is he on his R front leg? these other symptoms can also help you decide on a homeopathic medicine. Often for puncture type wounds Hypericum is best.

Safer is to use energetic essences - Rescue Remedy or the stronger Stress stopper (JacksonGalaxy solutions), and if you have learned Reiki, Bengston method, Eden Energy or other energy healing approaches they can often heal many acute problems.

Dr. Christina

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hello friends,

He has been licking the wound alot so I think I’m going to need to buy a soft donut to prevent licking. I managed to keep him inside last night. I gave him 3 rounds of rescue remedy and it seems to relax him more and he was purring. How will I know if his wound is getting infected? What are the signs?

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hello friends,

He was licking the wound alot last night so I bought a donut today. I managed to keep him inside last night. I gave him 3 rounds of rescue remedy and it seems to relax him more and he was purring. How will I know if his wound is getting infected? What are the signs?

I also put antiseptic spray on it. I have attached a photo of the spray.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can do in the meantime.

He has been playful, has had energy and an appetite. However, he did not fight me to put his donut on today and he sort of surrendered to lay down instead of continue asking to go out. He never likes having a doughnut on, so he looks a little sad now.

Is there any anything else I can put on topically or give him internally?

How about some vitamin C, micro barley, grass, juice, powder, zinc? Homeopathic medicine?

Just trying to figure out when and if I should take him to the vet?

Thank you so much.

@Dr. Barbara @Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Jessica @Dr. Linda @Dr. Sara @Dr.Eli @Dr.Eli @Dr.Lorrie @drabenda

IMG_8143.png

IMG_8140.jpeg

IMG_8141.jpeg

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
It looks like a hole but it looks more like an ulcerated wound, if this makes sense.

Thank you all so much!

IMG_8149.jpeg

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
His BEAM seems good. The willingness to let you treat him may be just that he is a smart cat, as long as he is active and will play a little indoors.
I would not use that spray. Continue with the compressing, maybe with rescue remedy in the water. Put something that tastes bad near but not IN the wound (soap, hot sauce, diluted peppermint oil, etc). then he may not need the collar.

If getting infected it will be red, swollen, painful and he will have a fever, not be eating as much, may be hiding or grumpy or fearful.

Dr.Christina

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Oh that looks better! Can you tell if there is a puncture that tracks down from there? (Hope not!). Anything you put on it will seal in bacteria, especially if it goes even a bit deep--which is bad. I know, it's so tempting--we want to DO something! But nature knows best. Leave it open to the air (most pathogenic bacteria hate oxygen); compresses will keep it clean. Be careful putting anything aversive on skin, hot sauce could burn it, maybe dab on the fur only. I wouldn't use peppermint since he can't get away from it.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Just trying to figure out when and if I should take him to the vet?
A vet visit and exam is helpful anytime you're worried!

I agree regarding "doing" more stuff rather than letting nature do her dance to help him heal.

In general, a big BEAM drop and signs of inflammation as Dr. Christina described are clues of infection:

IMAGE injury-inflammation.jpg

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hello!

My indoor/outdoor cat has a wound on his upper body. I put some calendula cream on it. Can I give him some arnica? 30 c? He is going to fight me to go out. He is not the kind of cat that lets me keep him indoors. We also have 2 other cats that don’t bother him but he gets grumpy with them when he can’t go out. I’m worried about him getting his wound hurt even more out there. What do you recommend I do? Can’t I give him anything else? Can I put anything on it topically? Thank you for your advice!! @Dr. Barbara @Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Jessica @Dr. Linda @Dr. Sara @Dr.Eli @Dr.Lorrie @Dr. Christina @drabenda

IMG_8089.jpeg

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hello Doctors,

I took my cat in to the vet and it turns out he was attacked by another cat. They had to sedate him to shave and clean the area. The doctor said he will have to have surgery on Wednesday because they need to go in and do an ulceration, irrigate and put drain in for 3 days. He will be sent home with amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium oral suspension, ONSIOR nsaid and buprenorohine for pain. They also have to give him a capstar pill because they found a flea on him. Poor guy.

Aside from rescue remedy, which homeopath medicines do you recommend? Arnica? Staphysagria? If he has nausea or vomiting. I have Nux vomica on hand.

Today’s visit and Wednesday surgery is expensive unfortunately. I was hoping I can get an appointment with Dr. Judy Hermann in regards to homeopathic medicine but I don’t know if I can afford it at this point.

I can continue giving him rescue remedy.

Any advices deeply appreciated. Thank you all so much!!

@DRBARRIE @Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Jessica @Dr. Linda @Dr. Sara @Dr.Eli @Dr.Lorrie @drabenda

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hello Doctors,

I took my cat in to the vet and it turns out he was attacked by another cat. They had to sedate him to shave and clean the area. The doctor said he will have to have surgery on Wednesday because they need to go in and do an ulceration, irrigate and put drain in for 3 days. He will be sent home with amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium oral suspension, ONSIOR nsaid and buprenorohine for pain. They also have to give him a capstar pill because they found a flea on him. Poor guy.

Aside from rescue remedy, which homeopath medicines do you recommend? Arnica? Staphysagria? If he has nausea or vomiting. I have Nux vomica on hand.

Today’s visit and Wednesday surgery is expensive unfortunately. I was hoping I can get an appointment with Dr. Judy Hermann in regards to homeopathic medicine but I don’t know if I can afford it at this point.

I can continue giving him rescue remedy.

Any advices deeply appreciated. Thank you all so much!!

I meant to say laceration, not ulceration. They need to cut and put in tubes to drain for 3-5 days.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
That is certainly the by-the-book, top-of-the-line treatment. If it has abscessed and there is pus, then Silicea is the first-aid remedy I would use, otherwise Ledum for the bite/puncture.

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Thank you all. I had a consultation with Dr. Judy Herman and will be giving him arnica and silocea. I appreciate you all

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hello,

Boochu, my kitty just got out of surgery. The doctor said to give some anti nausea medicine since he is on an empty stomach from all the surgery drugs. I also have nux vomica but I’m not familiar how to use this. Is it okay to just give him this anti nausea medicine the dr gave for this time?

Also, I had a consult with dr Judy Herman for homeopathy and she instructed me to mix the arnica in water for the next 3 days. Do I store the Mixture in the fridge or at room temperature?

Do I have to space the homeopathic medicine from the pharmaceuticals and if so how long in between?

Thank you!!

Thank you!

@Dr. Barbara
@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Jessica @Dr. Linda @Dr. Sara @Dr.Eli @Dr.Lorrie @drabenda

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I also have nux vomica but I’m not familiar how to use this.
Make it up and use it like the Arnica.
Is it okay to just give him this anti nausea medicine the dr gave for this time?
Perhaps first see how he responds to Nux. Then use the meds if you feel that they're then necessary.
Do I store the Mixture in the fridge or at room temperature?
Room temp. is fine.

Good work Anna with helping your kitty through this challenge! ? :snowman:

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Thank you so much for your prompt response. I tell everyone to sign up at HA. You offer so much value!

I don’t know if he is nauseous. The doctor told me to give him cerenia for nausea when we got home after the surgery because he was given all of those surgery meds on an empty stomach. So I decided to give it to him. However, I don’t know if I should give him the last half tomorrow as she said. From what I understand with homeopathic medicine you are not supposed to give that medicine, unless you are certain that they show signs of nausea? This is why I’m not sure if I should just stick with the last half pill of the cerenia tomorrow? Or not give it at all. It’s a little hard for me to tell if I see signs of nausea. He does not have clear signs of drooling and he has an appetite.

Is it important to space out time between homeopathic medicine and pharmaceuticals?

Thank you!

Anna

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks Anna for spreading the word about HA!
stick with the last half pill of the cerenia tomorrow? Or not give it at all. It’s a little hard for me to tell if I see signs of nausea.
If he is happy to eat, perhaps skip the Cerenia.
Is it important to space out time between homeopathic medicine and pharmaceuticals?
Ideally five the pharmaceutical at least 1 hour before homeopathic dosing. That will greatly reduce the risk of the drug "anti-doting" the remedy.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom