• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Safe shampoo to use on cat with "stud tail"

RuthR

VIP Member
Registered
My 13 ¾ old male Maine Coon cat is neutered, but he has “stud tail”. He has had it for about 1 ½ years. There is an area of seborrhea on the top of his tail about two inches from the base where the fur is very greasy and sticky. It is very painful for him if I try to comb it. I don't know if this is caused by his hyperthyroid, or something else. Is there a shampoo that is made of all natural ingredients and no chemicals that would be safe to wash his tail? Or any other suggestions for cleaning his tail?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Ruth!

Has he received a remedy recently (this kind of surface issue can be secondary to the detox which the remedy initiates)?
Is there a shampoo that is made of all natural ingredients and no chemicals that would be safe to wash his tail? Or any other suggestions for cleaning his tail?
Yes! Many mild lavender or aloe vera shampoos are great for soothing skin. Even Dr. Bronner's lavender soap can work well. Also, here's one from an HA! trusted brand that is labeled for dogs but is also good for cats:

They may also give HA! members a discount so check out our brand page for the discounts that are visible when you are logged in.

Lastly, benzoyl peroxide products can be super helpful for follicular flushing in stud tail:

jenbridwell

VIP Member
HA! Faculty
Corn starch is great for stud tail and overall greasieness- just sprinkle generously, let sit for 5-10 min and brush out- it helps dematting, too.

RuthR

VIP Member
Registered
Jen, this is amazing! It is so easy and works incredibly well. For me, since Teddy is a Maine Coon cat and has long fur, it was a multi-step process – work some corn starch into the sticky area on his tail, wait a couple of minutes, and then comb it out (and keep repeating the process). But his tail looks and feels so much better, and this is by far the best method I have tried, because I don't have to wash his tail and get him all wet. I can't thank you enough for sharing your knowledge!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom