• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Teddy - cat - is Liqui-Tinic okay to give for anemia

RuthR

VIP Member
Registered
My 13 1/2 year old male neutered Maine Coon cat just had complete blood work done. It was great to hear that his T4 level is down to 2.3, but the vet also said he is anemic (that might explain why he has had low energy for quite a while). She is recommending that I give him Liqui-Tinic. However, when I looked it up and saw the list of ingredients, I wasn't so sure.

The vitamins it contains are: Niacinamide 80 mg, Iron 48 mg, Pantothenic Acid 44 mg, Thiamine 28 mg, Pyridoxine 13 mg, Riboflavin 8 mg, Vitamin B12 400 mcg.

However, the other ingredients are: Purified Water, Dried Animal Digest (from swine), Polysorbate 80, Caramel Color, Ferric Amonium Citrate, Citric Acid, Niacin, Methylparaben (preservative), Propylparaben (preservative), Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Poultry Liver Flavor, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate (artificial preservative), Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Sodium Saccharin, Anethole, Vitamin B12.

I read that caramel color can be a carcinogen. Also, the dried animal digest is from swine; I just read an article by Dr. Joseph Mercola that said swine in the U.S. and Canada have been receiving MRNA vaccines since 2018. Some of the other ingredients also seem questionable to me.

Is there something else comparable to the Liqui-Tinic, but without the undesirable ingredients, that I can give him for his anemia? Or, is the Liqui-Tinic safe to give to him?

@Dr. Jeff
@Dr. Christina
@Dr. Jean Hofve

Attachments

• Bloodwork on 06-29-2023.pdf
    45.9 KB · Views: 2

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Liver! And heart, thymus, kidney, other organ meats and supplements of them.

However, the recent bloodwork shows blood count = 34 where below 29 is anemic in this lab. So this test is normal.

Perhaps Dr. Stern saw a drop from the previous blood count.

RuthR

VIP Member
Registered
Thanks, Dr. Jeff! Here is the explanation of why the vet said Teddy is anemic: his total protein is 7.8 (normal is 5.2-8.8) and his albumin is 4.0 (normal is 2.5=3.9). His hematocrit is 34 (normal is 29-48). So, because his total protein and albumin were both on the high side and his hematocrit was on the lower end, she considers that to be anemic.

He is getting some raw organic chicken hearts every day, but he will only eat so much of them. I had given him some beef liver, but I had to cook it because he wouldn't eat it raw - does raw versus cooked make a difference?

You mentioned supplements of organ meats - are there any specific supplements you can suggest?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Ruth!

does raw versus cooked make a difference?

Yes, cooked vs. raw makes a difference, but the most important thing is feeding foods he loves to eat! Maybe lightly pan seared.
You mentioned supplements of organ meats - are there any specific supplements you can suggest?
My cats love the RenaGO (kidney, heart and liver):

Also consider:

Grass Fed Beef Bone and Marrow - Ancestral Supplements (and fresh bone broth).

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hi Ruth, well no, he is not anemic, which is defined as a low hematocrit (his is normal). Protein is also totally normal. I suspect albumen may be high due to dehydration or stress, which is easy to assess but perhaps she didn't mention it. But if he were, my favorite supplement for that is Standard Process Dessicated Spleen. Spleen is loaded with the groceries the body needs to make more red blood cells. It also tastes yummy, according to my cats.

RuthR

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you, Dr. Jeff and Dr. Jean!

Yes, some of Teddy's numbers were off because he had very bad respiratory issues and had some time where he wasn't eating or drinking a couple of days before his blood work was done. He did have dehydration and stress, but we were able to get him through it.

However, he has been going through another episode of extreme respiratory issues. It seems like his sinuses are full of mucus, and if he can't sneeze it out, then he can't breathe through his nose. Yesterday was full of ups and downs where he ate well most of the day, but by the end of the day his breathing was so bad that he didn't want to eat again. I used a nebulizer with colloidal silver in it and held it near his nose for about four minutes, but it didn't help as much as I thought it would.

I have a recipe for people with breathing difficulty. Would this would be safe to use for Teddy as a nebulizer treatment?

Recipe for nebulizer Treatment:
1 pint warmed distilled water with 4.5 g sea salt (sodium chloride) dissolved in it 3/4 tsp. of 12% Food Grade H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide). Put together, shake, refrigerate.

Put approximately 5cc of solution into a nebulizer for each Tx. Do a Tx every hour if having trouble breathing. Continue until feeling better (usually within several hours). Then continue every 4-6 hrs as needed.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear about Teddy's continued respiratory challenges. :confused:
Would this would be safe to use for Teddy as a nebulizer
Yes, it looks fine to me.

Have you tried this respiratory tonic?

You might also want to try diffusing a super healing essential oil blend called Solvarome:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom