• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

My feral’s broken tooth is sticking out of her mouth

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hello,

I discovered yesterday my feral’s tooth is hanging out of her mouth. I can’t open her mouth to see it but I took a close up video that I have attached. She has an appetite and is eating normally. I’m starting to only give soft food or baby food today. Unfortunately, I don’t have the financial means to take her to a vet. I have arnica and I do have some antibiotic (still in box), but I am saving it for a dire emergency between all my cats. The vet doesn’t give this out easily. I don’t as any bleeding. She seems happy for me to pet her. I can’t tell if she’s in pain or what the gum looks like. I have no idea how this happened. Any advice on what to do?

Thank you! 🙏🏼

@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Jeff

IMG_5815.jpeg

IMG_5816.jpeg

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hello,

I discovered yesterday my feral’s tooth is hanging out of her mouth. I can’t open her mouth to see it but I took a close up video that I have attached. She has an appetite and is eating normally. I’m starting to only give soft food or baby food today. Unfortunately, I don’t have the financial means to take her to a vet. I have arnica and I do have some antibiotic (still in box), but I am saving it for a dire emergency between all my cats. The vet doesn’t give this out easily. I don’t as any bleeding. She seems happy for me to pet her. I can’t tell if she’s in pain or what the gum looks like. I have no idea how this happened. Any advice on what to do?

Thank you! 🙏🏼

IMG_5815.jpeg

IMG_5816.jpeg
Should I give her two 30c arnica In a little churu treat or baby food?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Anna!
Any advice on what to do?
Yes! Take 3 deep breaths and treat her normally.

This happens all the time and unless it is bothering her (she'd stop eating and/or paw at her mouth) then just leave it alone.

Perhaps just feed her some big chunks of raw meat to help the tooth fall out.

Sure, you can give the Arnica (especially if it makes you feel better)!

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Oh, Dr. Jeff! Thank you so much for your message. I can sleep better tonight! I will give her some raw chicken tomorrow! Thank you!! And yes, she seems okay to me. She lets me pet her and she talks to me, and has an appetite. I gave her only 1 30 C pellet of arnica. Maybe I will give her one more.. many blessings to you @Dr. Jeff

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I love that she lets you pet her. Not all ferals are like that. You may want to learn one of the many energy healing approaches (most can be done without touching for ferals who are not so friendly) that we discuss at HA.

And I totally agree with Dr. Jeff - it looks painful, but she is not showing pain!! We just need to let them tell us what they need. Ah...maybe you could take an animal communication course.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're very welcome Anna!

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I agree, leave it alone. It may be coming out from the socket by itself, or it could be broken, but chances are it will come off by itself. If it's broken and the root gets infected (you'd know by her behavior) then action may be needed. Arnica is a good idea.

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hello,

I keep trying to upload a 6 second video but not certain we can post videos here because it doesn’t seem to be working on my end. Can you view it?

Thank you all for your messages. Today is the second day I’ve tried giving her raw chunk of meat in hopes she can get the took out but it’s still there and she is struggling to chew on it. Should I try again tomorrow and continue tryin or at this point give her soft food for comfort?

I will give her some arnica in case she is in pain.

I will keep monitoring her behavior to watch for infection. I do have an unopened bottle of antibiotic from the vet that I’m saving for emergency for any of the cats.

Thank you all for your advice!

Speed - 1.00 « - + » x
View attachment IMG_5875.MOV

IMG_5882.jpeg

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I would keep giving soft food to make sure she's getting enough nutrition, but if she's willing to even try meat chunks, that seems like a positive sign that it isn't terribly bothersome.

aruna

Cat mom
Administrator
VIP Member
@AnnaH & @Dr. Jeff - the video is uploaded now in Anna's post above (we had a limit on the size of the file that can be uploaded, fixed that)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom