• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat with Broken and Loose Tooth and Shattered Jaw

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
My senior cat came in from outside and I noticed his tooth was sticking out his mouth. Seems it came out from the root, but is stuck on the gum (see attached photos). He also seems to be limping from his left back foot. Not sure what happened to him, but I did see a racoon in my backyard a bit before this happened. I didn't hear a fight at all, but I was also in a meeting so may not have been listening closely.

I gave him some arnica and made an urgent care appointment for two hours from now. After full assessment I may go to the emergency room, but want to get my head in straight.

He's okay with his tooth, but also pawing at it sometimes. Is this something I can pull out? It really is just stuck on some gum tissue.

Also, he isn't up to date with his rabies, but he's also 16.5 and was up to date until a few years ago. The raccoon was not acting weird and I know I have a family that has a second home in the tree bordering my yard so nothing amiss. But because of the time of day (though it's overcast and will start getting dark soon) if I mention the raccoon it may get blown out of proportion, but I also don't want to do a disservice to my guy. Any thoughts on that piece?

Lastly, I haven't assessed his leg much yet, but there does seem to be discomfort and some blood that's already drying. Tiny bit of fresh blood which makes me think maybe it happened earlier and he took this long to make it home. Any input on assessing? Obviously if I can avoid urgent care and all the traditional meds being pushed on me that'd be great. And I also want to do right by him.

Thank you for any input.
@Dr. Jeff
@Dr. Jean Hofve
@Dr. Christina

IMG20231106152316.jpg

IMG_20231106_153402.jpg

IMG20231106152333.jpg

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
Hi BEAM isn't great. Lethargic, definitely seems uncomfortable. Haven't offered food, but doubt he'd want because of the tooth. Not wanting my attention so much, but also not trying to get away from me. He's walking around a bit between two places to get comfortable, but they are close to each other. Smells very faintly of a skunk, but only when I kiss his head so can't be fresh.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear about your kitty July. :confused:
He's okay with his tooth, but also pawing at it sometimes. Is this something I can pull out?
Yes. If it's loose enough it may just come right out.
Any thoughts on that piece?
Has he had a rabies titer? The lifelong rabies shots may still be protective (as it can be for people as well).
Any input on assessing?
You may want to have a vet assess him for any possible internal trauma. The bloody paw and tooth may be signs of a more severe external injury.

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
I'm sorry to hear about your kitty July. :confused:
Thank you.
Yes. If it's loose enough it may just come right out.
Upon closer investigation it looks attached to some gum ball. Guessing it could lead to bleeding if I try to mess with it.
Has he had a rabies titer? The lifelong rabies shots may still be protective (as it can be for people as well).
He hasn't. No vets around here really accept it and the one who does it charges so damn much I just stopped giving him the shot. Is titers something I can do now or does that take too long?
You may want to have a vet assess him for any possible internal trauma. The bloody paw and tooth may be signs of a more severe external injury.
I have an urgent care appointment I'm heading to soon.

How often should I give him arnica for the pain? I've been doing Bengston Method on him and he does seem a little more mobile, but could also just be more annoyed with me so leaving my area.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Many emergency rooms do not even ask about vaccines.
You have probably already gone - give us a report.
continue the Bengston method and you do not need to be in the room.
Flower essences like rescue remedy or stress stopper (JacksonGalaxy.com) used liberally - pet with it, put on sleeping area, a few diluted drops for you an him at the same time.
Dr. Christina

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
Vet won't give him a real exam without opioids. Is there one that is better or do I just leave? I completely forgot to bring flower essence. Swelling has decreased a bit, but now I can see a potential puncture.

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
His regularish vet is squeezing him in tomorrow morning to deal with the tooth properly. They will want to give him all sorts of stuff too. I get so lost on what is the least bad thing.
@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jeff

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
How often should I give him arnica for the pain?
As often as you think he needs it.

Consider succussing the cup of Arnica you make prior to each dose.

Please let us know what your vet says tomorrow.

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff. They will definitely push antibiotics, pain med, and other. Would you be willing to give me your opinion on any "safer" pain medicines if they take the same stance as the emergency vet? Also, antibiotics if he was bit by a raccoon? My brain says no, but my gut is unsure. Is doing titers at this point recommended or a rabies shot? Rabies shot is not my first choice under normal circumstances and even further down the list when he's struggling. At this point I would say he definitely has a bite though (which I am treating with hydrogen peroxide). Cannot confirm what species, only guessing about the raccoon based on the times of seeing one in my city yard and then my cat coming home banged up.

His tooth is still hanging, but seems to have stopped bleeding. Emergency vet did confirm the whole tooth and root are out. I extremely watered down some of his usual raw, but ground food to see if he wanted to eat. After some coaxing he did start eating some.

He is able to put more weight on the leg and some swelling has come down, but it's still clearly very painful.

Any guidance going into the lions den so to speak (traditional vet) tomorrow would be great. This vet historically has given me a hard time for my natural methods, but she can do the dental work sooner than anyone else I called. And most of the vets around here are like that to a degree anyway.

Thank you,

July

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
any "safer" pain medicines if they take the same stance as the emergency vet?
The pain meds are not dangerous per se. Frequent and high potency dosing can reduce the need for the pain meds.

antibiotics if he was bit by a raccoon?
That is indeed the typical conventional answer.
Is doing titers at this point recommended or a rabies shot?
The vet may be required by law to give the shot.

Arnica, Arnica, Arnica...

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
Update:

They did X-rays on his foot and chest as well as his mouth. They removed the tooth, but didn't really clean it up. They said his jaw is partially shattered so they need to remove the bone fragments and clean everything up at a later date. He has two compound fractures in his foot which is why I saw punctures. They gave him buprenorphine and told me to give him more at home, but I didn't take any. They also sent me home with clavamox and told me to start tonight, but I have yet to. @Dr. Christina, @Dr. Jean Hofve, @Dr. Jeff would any of you advise for understand the circumstances?

They think he was hit by a car. I didn't mention the raccoon. Also, turns out he's only a couple months overdue on his rabies so it was never even brought up.

They suggested I keep him in a small dog cage for two weeks minimum while his breaks heal. He's in a splint, but she suggested consulting an orthopedic surgeon.

I'll continue with arnica, stress stopper and Bengston Method. Beyond that I am thoroughly lost on what approach to take.

Guidance would be greatly appreciated, especially in regards to the antibiotics (I recall being guided on here for three or so days for oral surgery), and best approach on his long term healing of his broken metatarsal bones.

Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm so glad you brought him to the vet July! Yes, it sounded like he may have been HBC (hit by a car).
would any of you advise
It sounds like you're doing great!

Keep him in the crate and continue frequent Arnica doses. Maybe also consider some Symphytum ("Boneset") 6c doses.

I'll continue with arnica, stress stopper and Bengston Method. Beyond that I am thoroughly lost on what approach to take.
What you're doing is great!! Just keep it going...

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
Thanks, @Dr. Jeff,
I'm so glad you brought him to the vet July! Yes, it sounded like he may have been HBC (hit by a car).
The vet who saw him yesterday wants to re-splint tomorrow which means more sedation because the swelling has gone up.

It sounds like you're doing great!

Keep him in the crate and continue frequent Arnica doses. Maybe also consider some Symphytum ("Boneset") 6c doses.
Do I need to space the two apart? I have been giving him one tsp of arnica water pretty frequently, mostly every hour more or less depending on my availability.
What you're doing is great!! Just keep it going...
Thanks. I still haven't given him any antibiotics. Unsure if that's a good move considering all he's been through, but also know doing so will have long term effects. Thoughts?

Thank you,

July

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Do I need to space the two apart? I have been giving him one tsp of arnica water pretty frequently
Ideally, yes. Maybe give the Symphytum before bed to optimize bone healing.

1 Q-tip on the gums is an easier and effective dose.
Unsure if that's a good move considering all he's been through, but also know doing so will have long term effects. Thoughts?
One thing we know for sure is that anti-biotics will damage his microbiome, long-term and even permanently, in some individuals.

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
Ideally, yes. Maybe give the Symphytum before bed to optimize bone healing.

1 Q-tip on the gums is an easier and effective dose.

One thing we know for sure is that anti-biotics will damage his microbiome, long-term and even permanently, in some individuals.
That is all very helpful. Thank you!

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
Update:

Yesterday he went in the potentially have the sling redone because his toes were swelling more. If he needed it I was open to it, but I was not super happy with the sedation and extra drugs if it was just a question of maybe. The vet on staff wasn't the vet who had seen him the day before so she wasn't sure. We talked for a while and decided not to resling and she told me to monitor his temperature and if there was warmth in the toes indicating there was blood flow, as his toes are so swollen. There was a little bit of blood I think from some pressure while she was examining him. I took him home and had some crazy Bengston Method sessions where my hand vibrated for more than 10 minutes after.

He's been getting arnica fairly regularly and bone set twice a day. Bengston Method at least one short session a day. And Stress Stopper thorough the day. Trying to space all of those things though since they are all energy. I've also been giving him some CBD oil directly in his mouth a few times a day. He hasn't had pharmaceutical pain medicine since he was at the vet the first day and he hasn't had any antibiotics at all.

My Lumasoothe 2 arrived this afternoon. After speaking with the owner of the company for a little while wondering if it could penetrate through the sling I have it on his toes going up as opposed to through the sling as I write. I'm very excited to see how this does. I will also use it on his jaw, my dog's tummy (why I bought it), and my injuries from when I've thrown myself in the middle of a dog fight. So far it seems pretty easy to use, but maybe not the easiest to hold perfectly still for 15 minutes. Lol

Lastly, his appetite is okay, but not great. Certainly decreased. I've been giving him canned food to get him to eat (started with baby food meat but he doesn't like that as much), but he likely isn't even getting half the calories he was getting prior to the incident, which is what the vet said she wanted at a minimum. Any input on this would be great. I think he wants the food, but his mouth doesn't feel great so he stops and then falls asleep. But maybe he also just doesn't want it. I imagine he is in pain even with all the arnica.

Oh, one last thing, he hasn't pooped. The vet said to put a 1/4 tsp of miralax in his food to soften it so it will come out easier. That's definitely not natural enough for me. Does someone have an alternative product to use? Would celery juice help? Something else?

Thanks,
July

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
July, who is your homeopathic vet?
And is there a chiropractor or holistic PT person near you? (Check our article if you are not sure). Gentle massage by you (remember several speakers mention very very slow stroking) can help move the lymph and blood and stimulate healing.

If he is not straining and his abdomen does not feel larger (you do regular physical exams yourself, right?) than usual, the lack of stool could just be from eating so much less.

Keep trying any kind of liquid food if he can drink. Or hand feed tiny pieces of anything you have learned over the years is a super treat for him. Powdered PDG (predigest) from Wysong is a powder (way too big a jar - will last forever or donate to shelter when done) that gives complete nutrition in a small amount - mix with anything.

Stay positive, realize that any negative effects from most treatments can be handled by a basically healthy cat and certainly over the following months with all the holistic treatments. Right now he just needs to be put back together.

Keep tuned in to what he wants and stop when he says to. Offer a lot, do not force a lot. Keep track of all symptoms - fur quality, eye brightness, BEAM, odors, pains, etc. Small improvements are to be super celebrated.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Christina

JulyS

VIP Member
Registered
Thanks @Dr. Christina and @Dr. Jeff. His paw has started pussing a little and the toes keep swelling. His temperature is still normal and I can feel heat on the beans, but he didn't want to eat as much last night or today. Vet says I should take him to the emergency vet to have them flesh and debride.
Here's my question, how do you know when the line between antibiotics as a preventative vs when it is needed? Because his open wounds are hidden under the bandage I both can't treat them or see them. Not sure if this puss is from the open wound from one of the breaks or if it's a new wound caused by the tightness of the bandage on the still swelling toes.

IMG_20231113_102520.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
how do you know when the line between antibiotics as a preventative vs when it is needed?
Great question July! The current epidemic of antimicrobial resistant infections is from overuse of anti-biotics.

IMHO, we should only use antimicrobials when they are indicated by a culture of the potentially infected area.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
It may be a good idea to go to your regular vet tomorrow and have the splint taken off so you & they can examine it to see what is actually happening under the bandaging.

A great invention would be transparent bandaging material for just this situation.

Even if antibiotics are prescribed, you can decide to go with them or not.

Do you have a virtual holistic vet or a local one? (Apologies if I asked already).

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom