• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Medication needed for blood draw

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I took Blossom for a blood draw today and vet visit to look at miscellaneous things. When time for the blood draw it could not be done. Since I got Blossom in Sept of 2022, she has always allowed blood draw and she has had many many due to questionable conditions needing retesting, now resolved. The vet I took her to today saw her a year ago. She has had blood draws from that same place a few times with the vet techs, very experienced. She would not allow it today. I noticed how nervous Blossom was today versus other times. She was between my legs while I was seated and possible trembling a bit, not noticeably, but I could feel it. They sent me home with Trazadone to give the night before and the day of for net thursday. When she was in the shelter in 2022 she was on that and she came home with me on that drug and I weaned her off. During that time if you recall I kept posting how slow moving she was, maybe even depressed. I do not think it will work. Yet I have NOT had ANY luck with homeopathy prescribed by Dr. Judy (I did not have Dr. Todd until later)on this when I was trying to get Blossom to not freak out in the car. Anyway the vet clinic said if Traz doesn't work they can give Ace. So what, now when i get her a nail trim and blood I have to pre medicate? Homeopathy works "maybe" and that is a big "maybe" over time and I do not have time to "hope" something might work after trying months of it in 2022 and early 2023. Since Blossom was on this I have read things that SSRI's destroy the mitochondria...serotonin is NOT your friend--at least with humans. Thus, I do believe Blossom was walking so slow because of this drug. I know she would only take it for one day but i have tried homeopathy with several providers and it does not work. I will say that some remedies seem to work for acute conditions as I have used myself as for pain or acute injuries. But I have NEVER seen it work to make any change to a dog's basic constitution or personality. My question is why is she so suddenly uncooperative with the blood draws, they called it the pitbull flip or something like that she kept doing--what pitbulls do.... So is this a case of once again homeopathy actually harming my dog? Just like it harmed my dog JJ in early 2022. I really can't buy this anymore. I had a dog who was a "bit nervous" at the vet but nothing like this. Again in 2023 she was constantly getting blood drawn, got her nails done rather easily and now nothing. Why else would she suddenly be so hyper? I am not giving her any more remedies because nobody ever agrees. Maybe there is a safer sedative to give her than to destroy her mitochondria with an SSRI?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
why is she so suddenly uncooperative with the blood draws,
Great question Lil! The true answer, but one that you may not like, is that she is acting in a wayy that her body and brain tell her to act.

This is a result of her history, our thoughts and behaviors, environmental influences, including the phase of the moon, etc.
So is this a case of once again homeopathy actually harming my dog?
Nope. Homeopathy doesn't harm. It stimulates the body in a way that we may not like and which can be a challenge.

From all of your past posts about Blossom I suspect this is just part of her journey.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Well, I think she was better off before ;-) The doctor did say she looked healthier, coat was good and he did not complain about her weight. However, this is a setback and in my mind I do not see this as a good outcome. Her vet records from the shelter also indicate she was cooperative. I feel it is not a defensible argument to continue homeopathy with her when the result is so damaging. Hope nobody is offended but it is almost like a cult. How could a change like this be rationalized. I disagree 1000 percent. I have given this modality chance after chance with belief and hope. Thinking ahead, I will have to give this dog periodic rabies vaccines due to her nature. UNlike previous dogs who had titers, I never vaccinated because they did not react like this. I do feel guilty giving Blossom this as I still feel guilty telling JJ to open his mouth and he did to take something that ultimately hurt him, for those who don't know it suppressed his symptoms which were benign, blew them up and at the end they emerged potentiated like an ugly old lion and killed him. I was listening to another well known homeopath say that a death from suppressed symptoms is traumatic and horrible (paraphrased) which JJ's was.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Remember we take everything into account, not just one symptom. this was good: The doctor did say she looked healthier, coat was good and he did not complain about her weight.

She would not allow it today. I noticed how nervous Blossom was today versus other times. She was between my legs while I was seated and possible trembling a bit, not noticeably, but I could feel it.

I would ask an animal intuitive what was going on as we all have days when life is a challenge. Some dogs are sensitive to the moon cycles, or toxins in the air, or are hearing some fighting dogs miles away. Maybe something challenging was happening in the veterinary clinic that day. Maybe she was having a clearing reaction from the remedy. My approach when a dog is unusually emotional in the waiting room is to cancel the appointment and re-schedule. That is what I would recommend now. Have some really happy days at home, then just visit the waiting room. If Blossom is happy and fine, maybe they could just put her up on a table for a minute. Lots of treats and praise. Then leave. You may need to do that several times. Since there is no rush for the blood, you may be able to avoid drugs.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom