• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Blossom car riding anxiety may be over

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Tomorrow September 8th is the day Blossom was found tied to a tree in NYC, spending a month in the shelter. It was the end of her old life and although she went through a bad period of severe stress and trembling, it was the beginning of her new journey with me, but she did not know that she would get to the other side--not euthanasia but a whole new life where she would be loved and leave the old life behind. When I got her the next day she panicked in the car and for almost a year I tried to get her to like the car, tolerate the car and I think we are there. It was baptism by fire the day I had to get her to the hospital, an hour away. She was used to only riding 5 minutes then getting out to walk at a park and then continue to the vets for another 8 minutes.She has always liked to just "be" in the car to rest but no riding, panicking. I got her to that hospital twice since the weekend and Lord willin and the crick didn't rise, we got there. On the way home she didn't make a peep, lying down near the gearshift listening to the CD I put in. She twists and hula dances towards the car wanting to go in lately and today for the first time I took her for errands like I did with my other dogs. She hard barks but it wasn't the panic I used to see. She does like the window open to stick her head out but she enjoys it. Getting to the hospital was a defining moment. I would say she wants to just go in the car now to just sleep, just like my JJ who died last year. He was happiest in the car. Blossom also made another step, since I got her she NEVER drank water. On saturday, she drank a lot, that is when the bleeding she had started from her uterus but she did drink WATER. I don't typically look at the positive side of bad happenings. But this labor day with no AC which broke during the hottest spell of the season, my vet went off the grid for the weekend -- so he was not around, and Blossom having pyometra on a holiday---it was the BEST holiday ever. She drank and learned to like the car and leave the past behind of why she panicked. We are still suffering with no AC but she achieved so much out of a bad situation. With all her bleeding, she sought comfort too. She wanted to sleep in my room but it had carpeting and I had no diapers. I remembered the Bernie Siegel interview when he said paraphrased--some people worry about poop and pee on their carpets, so what. I remembered that and Blossom was so happy when she felt so crappy to be allowed to sleep in my room. I wish I had learned that lesson with JJ who had nocturia and he had to sleep downstairs on his bed by himself.Always do better with each one but the one that came before that taught the lesson---does one ever forgive themself? My JJ needed what Blossom got. And Bernie was right---blood on the carpet---So what. When I made Blossom sleep downstairs the first night of bleeding she wimpered int he morning looking upstairs. When I let her in my room, she was sleeping peacefully right next to me, happy and safe. So on the 8th when she was found tied to a tree, a year later she is safe and happy.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Tomorrow September 8th is the day Blossom was found tied to a tree in NYC, spending a month in the shelter. It was the end of her old life and although she went through a bad period of severe stress and trembling, it was the beginning of her new journey with me
YAY! :snowman: ??

Good work Lil. Your journey with the blossoming Miss. Blossom has been amazing!!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
thanks for posting blossom's progress. This can help many others make their decisions and learn that there is no one correct way to be with our animals.

Persistance and patience certainly are paying off for a lucky dog.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Lil, I've been thinking about Blossom and want to say what a heartwarming journey you and Blossom have been on! It's truly remarkable to witness the transformation and resilience of our furry companions, and your story beautifully illustrates the power of patience, acceptance, and embracing the present moment.

Blossom's journey from a place of fear and anxiety in the car to a place of comfort and even enjoyment is a testament to the healing abilities of time, trust, and love. It's a reminder that sometimes, the path to balance and happiness involves facing our fears and anxieties head-on, allowing them to be part of our experience rather than resisting them.

Your willingness to adapt and learn from your past experiences with your other dogs, like JJ, shows a deep sense of compassion and growth. Forgiving oneself can be a challenging process, but it's important to recognize that each pet is unique, and we do the best we can with the knowledge we have at the time.

The lesson you learned from Bernie Siegel's wisdom about not sweating the small stuff, like a little blood on the carpet, is a valuable one. It's a reminder that love, comfort, and safety often matter more than material concerns.

Blossom's journey from being tied to a tree in NYC to a loving and safe home with you is a beautiful reminder that even in the face of adversity, there is hope and the potential for a brighter future. Thank you for sharing this heartwarming story of resilience, growth, and the power of acceptance. Wishing you and Blossom many more happy and safe years together! ??

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Thank you all and Dr. Jeff for giving me a good start on the experiential processing of her growth and the struggles. Going in the car opens up a whole new life for her. Today she went and she hard barks and I answer her with more barking. She seems to like it as if to say "I'm going to get in the last word" and she did. I do NOT need to feed her treats in the car either anymore. Today we went to 3 places. She is also eating better, not bleeding and seems happy again. This dog has a deep connection with me. She listens to me, she stays by my side--if we are walking and I drop the leash, she looks to make sure I am still there. She stays in the yard and doesn't react to dogs except of the other dog is out of control. I took her to my vets office yesterday to give a toy to the office manager's dog, but everyone loves Blossom there and Blossom loves to go in and say hello and let everyone pet her. My biggest fear was having to take her to a hospital and not have her trained to go in the car yet. THAT HAPPENED. One of my dogs died in 2016 because he would not go in the car. I wasn't going to let that happen again. She was wild but then calmed down... I never went beyond the wild part in her "training". I had no choice this time or I just got tougher ready to accept whatever happens happens on the way there, but she wasn't going to die at home paralyzed by fear. I wear earplugs to minimize the effect of her high pitched barking on my hearing.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom