• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Acute Illness 13 year old Cocker Spaniel

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
??Perfect!

JennieC

VIP Member
Registered
??Perfect!
Update on Romeo
I started him on the 6c pellet and now am up to giving it to him about every 6 to 7 hours. and stopped the gabapentin. He was a completely different dog when he took this!!!!!! He was coming to me, walking around the house following us, he rode in the car and actually was looking outside with his 2 front feet on the middle arm rest which he hasn't done for quite some time!! he would just lay in the back! However ,today he has slept almost the entire day. I thought maybe it was him just recovering as its only been since Monday when he had the teeth removed. How long do you continue to give the arnica? And does this sound normal for him to literally be sleeping all day. Thank you so much!!!!!

JennieC

VIP Member
Registered
Update on Romeo
I started him on the 6c pellet and now am up to giving it to him about every 6 to 7 hours. and stopped the gabapentin. He was a completely different dog when he took this!!!!!! He was coming to me, walking around the house following us, he rode in the car and actually was looking outside with his 2 front feet on the middle arm rest which he hasn't done for quite some time!! he would just lay in the back! However ,today he has slept almost the entire day. I thought maybe it was him just recovering as its only been since Monday when he had the teeth removed. How long do you continue to give the arnica? And does this sound normal for him to literally be sleeping all day. Thank you so much!!!!!
[/QUOTE
Romeo just woke up,, sorry this is literally 10 minutes after my last post. He has a little bleeding from left side of his mouth. He just walked into the room and his hind end fell over sideways so he laid down.( he hadn't done this since starting the arnica) He is still having some body jerks and leg tremors as well. I don't know what to expect from all of this as I haven't owned a dog for 26 years. :( he ate well this morning and I am going to see if he will eat again. Will have to get a diet change as at this point I'm feeding him whatever he will eat which is honest kitchen dry kibble soaked in water mixed with some of the dehydrated honest kitchen turkey and some minced vegetables in it. I also give him some wild blueberries and banana if he will eat it. thank you

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic Jennie!

Yes, lots of sleeping after a big stress is restorative and important for him to do.

Focus now on getting him lots of fresh air, gentle walks, and consider weaning the Phos dosing first to 3 times/day for 2 days then twice a day for 3 days.

How many times are you succussing for each dose?

You may also want to only use Arnica if he seems uncomfortable/restless/depressed, etc.

JennieC

VIP Member
Registered
Fantastic Jennie!

Yes, lots of sleeping after a big stress is restorative and important for him to do.

Focus now on getting him lots of fresh air, gentle walks, and consider weaning the Phos dosing first to 3 times/day for 2 days then twice a day for 3 days.

How many times are you succussing for each dose?

You may also want to only use Arnica if he seems uncomfortable/restless/depressed, etc.
Hi again
Im not sure what Phos is? I am only giving him arnica when needed which is about 3 times a day right now. I am wondering if diffusing Oregano oil is not good for dogs. I diffuse it in my room at night during sleep and he will sleep in there sometimes. He is pawing at his nose which is still runny. I thought he was pawing at his mouth but it seems to be his nose and he will rub his face on the ground as well as lick his nose a lot. He started doing this before the illness with his teeth and it seems it started when I was giving him a small amount of Ester C. ( From Anthony William Pet Show he said they can have small amounts of C). Im beginning to wonder if I caused all this by giving him that and the oregano oil causing a bacterial flare up? :( Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Phos is short for Phosphorus which is a homeopathic medicine.

From other messages, I mistakenly thought you were already giving it-sorry,
Definitely not Jennie (no problem with vit C). :dogrun:

Last edited:

JennieC

VIP Member
Registered
Hello,, I have been giving Romeo arnica at 9 am and 9 pm. I tried going to once a day and all he would do is sleep,, he wouldn't get up,, he wouldn't eat. How long is it ok to give this or should he be off by now I'm wondering. :) after he has it he is so much better. he will eat, go for walks even though he still has initial "fear", follow me around as usual but will lay down and sleep quite a bit. Thank you so much :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'd redose Arnica, but using 30c.

One or two doses should be enough to let him reestablish internal balance (equilibrium) so his symptoms go away and don't keep returning.

Have you been in touch with the vet who did the procedure?

If not, you might want to call them and see if they think that Romeo should be rechecked.

JennieC

VIP Member
Registered
I have not talked to the vet. I will call them tomorrow? So I will give him 5 pellets of the 6 c then in the morning.. Then, when would I give another 30 c for the 2nd dose if needed? Thank you?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Jennie-

5 pellets of 6c aren't equivalent to 30c.

The "c" indicates the specific potency of the medicine. You might be thinking about the dose.

You can pick up 30c pellets in your local health food store.

Add one pellet to 1 cup of water and succuss the cup 10x prior to each dose.

Succussions are agitations of the cup (or jar), so you can bang it down on the counter or against your hand prior to each dose.

There's a short video about succussions in another post if you search for the word.

There's also more info about using Arnica here:

www.holisticactions.com/arnica

Please let us know what your vet recheck and exam reveals.

JennieC

VIP Member
Registered
update on Romeo
I gave him the arnica as suggested above thank you so much. I Believe it helped him. Took him to the vet and they did a UA which showed nothing. They did not do any bloodworm again as they said it was fine before the surgery. Romeo has been better except only wants to sleep, follow me around sometimes which he has always done (not as much now), and still acts a little confused when its time to go for a walk. However once we are outside and walking he is completely happy and wants to run. its like he is a different dog outside of this house. I was giving him some Primal Raw chunks along with his food. the only thing he wants is honest kitchen Kibble. Last night I had to basically hand feed him the Primal kitchen. Through the night and today his stomach is gurgling, he won't touch the Primal raw and will only eat the kibble. His stomach was doing this for a while before he got really sick. So his BEAM is pretty low. Behavior is different (almost like he is depressed), low energy, low appetite. Still very thirsty and I notice he drips a lot of water out of his mouth when he drinks. after watching the info on rabies miasm I'm pretty sure he had that When we got him 3 years ago.:( Is Fiji water a good water for dogs? I am thinking I will get some Culturelle to try and see if that helps. Maybe try a fourth of one at first? that is something that I can get today.

JennieC

VIP Member
Registered
update on Romeo
I gave him the arnica as suggested above thank you so much. I Believe it helped him. Took him to the vet and they did a UA which showed nothing. They did not do any bloodworm again as they said it was fine before the surgery. Romeo has been better except only wants to sleep, follow me around sometimes which he has always done (not as much now), and still acts a little confused when its time to go for a walk. However once we are outside and walking he is completely happy and wants to run. its like he is a different dog outside of this house. I was giving him some Primal Raw chunks along with his food. the only thing he wants is honest kitchen Kibble. Last night I had to basically hand feed him the Primal kitchen. Through the night and today his stomach is gurgling, he won't touch the Primal raw and will only eat the kibble. His stomach was doing this for a while before he got really sick. So his BEAM is pretty low. Behavior is different (almost like he is depressed), low energy, low appetite. Still very thirsty and I notice he drips a lot of water out of his mouth when he drinks. after watching the info on rabies miasm I'm pretty sure he had that When we got him 3 years ago.:( Is Fiji water a good water for dogs? I am thinking I will get some Culturelle to try and see if that helps. Maybe try a fourth of one at first? that is something that I can get today.
So looking back at my first post here, I just realized it seems as if not much has changed. :(.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes (I agree that not much has changed).

Here's what you could do:

1. Consult an internist for definitive diagnosis of any physical abnormalities that could be affecting his BEAM

2. Add a trained and experienced homeopath to Romeo's vet care team

The internist would be the best way to get a definite answer about what might be going on physiologically. Probably not for treatment.

However, a homeopath could use that information plus Romeo's specific symptoms for underlying treatment of his internal imbalance.

Deep-acting and curative homeopathy should help Romeo quickly.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Jennie-

If you were trying to post tonight, your message is blank.

JennieC

VIP Member
Registered
Update on Romeo.
He had a visit to a homeopathic vet and she took some blood and exam, also a thyroid function test. I told her of his issues and she gave him a treat of cBd Oil and glucosamine chondroitin. She also made up a remedy of 3 different things. This was not good for him. When he took it he would start twitching and falling and tremors even more. she said it could be vaccinosis at the initial visit, but that he has heart disease and his liver enzymes (BUN, TBIL and AMY)were elevated. she said that could be due to the fact that I am slowly giving him raw food as well. She said at a follow up call do not give him more of the homeopathy remedy. She also practices Chinese medicine and said he needs cool foods. He is still on Half Honest Kitchen Kibble (turkey now) and Primal Raw Turkey and sardine. She said also some older dogs cannot handle all raw so I am not switching him raw completely yet. He occasionally has twitches and tremors, also will shake his jaw like he is cold. He also very occasionally just falls over to the side with his back legs only. Is having a little bit of a hard time climbing the stairs well. Im not sure if it is weakness in the back legs or arthritis. After he eats, his eyes get bloodshot red and he pants like he is hot. He is also getting like he was before where he was hungry ALL the time. When I spoke with her yesterday she said that this could be a liver problem, however wants him to take Famotidine for a week twice a day. She believes he is also having gastric distress. she said after the week if this continues then we could start him on milk thistle. She also said his thyroid levels were normal and when I got the results in the mail it said the sample was moderate to severely lipemic. She also says she does not know what causes these tremors tics etc. She also did not believe other testing was needed and she did feel the very swollen, hard gland in his neck, most likely a lymph node. When we get him out of the house and walk he loves it. he wants to run..hes back to liking the car rides. Back to wanting to eat all the time and being more open to what he eats now. He is back to eating his wild blueberries every night. Any suggestions on what else I could do for him? I don't really care for the famoitidine suggestion, would rather give him celery juice but don't know if that helps the liver and stomach for dogs like it does me!! thanks so much.

MelissaC

VIP Member
Registered
Are we able to post videos here? I wonder if we saw what Romeo was doing if it might help us help you better. Reading back through the thread, I felt like a lot of what you were describing were severe pain signals. Also, does any one know how long it may take the body to clear an infection from such severe dental disease? This is my first time posting on the forum, and some may disagree with me, but with a 13 year old pup you may want to use the most effective option in the short term, and move in a more natural direction as he heals. It sounds like Romeo has been through quite an ordeal and I was so grateful to read he is doing better. Take care! Melissa C

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome Melissa!

Yes to posting videos, pictures, lab results, etc.).

Great question Melissa about clearing of bacteria.

As we just discussed on Zoom, "it depends... on the context".

For example, a functional immune system is able to eliminate any foreign invader in the blood within hours to days.

However, had Romeo's teeth and source for infection not been treated, bacterial shed can last for years.

This is part of why routine dental care and feeding raw bones is so important.

The best offense against any health challenge is a good defense with proactive preventive care like feeding fresh foods, raws bones and working with the body to build and preserve Vitality.

S

scrapgenie

my cocker spaniel pug mix displayed with loss of balance, lack of strength in the back legs and panting he was not diagnosed with any specific ailment but did respond to hypericum. Hypericum is also very good for dental pain so would this be an option for Jennies pup?

JennieC

VIP Member
Registered
I have had Romeo on the same mix of food. He took famotidine for a week and I added in goats milk, still taking a little probiotic and am still using raw honey. I also add in some Atlantic sea dulse. He was so much better. Not much twitching or weakness in the legs. However, when I took him off the famotidine the eyes started getting goopy again, and he seemed a little less energetic. He is also pulling fur from his right leg where the iv was for his dental. (Its not frequent, but once in a while) He does not have any mouth pain at all, that I know of, as he crunches away on dog treats however, Romeo does NOT bark. He does not make noise, he only has barked probably 10 times in the 3 years that we've had him, and its a very weak howl when he does. Also I gave him some of the old honest kitchen food he had with turkey,, and for about a day afterward he did not feel the greatest and wouldn't eat,, so I'm assuming that food is not for him. For some reason it has Beans in it (also coconut, parsley, pumpkin, parsnip) Im struggling on what to feed him, as the vet said sometimes they cannot handle raw food. Is continuing to give him goats milk ok? (I did this on my own, not from a suggestion from the vet). Does this sound like a histamine response? also is there something I can give him to chew,,,,he has never really chewed anything since we've had him. occasionally he would chew on a softer chew stick but nothing else. Thanks for any input.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom