• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Comparing labs for kidney disease in my cat Bella (2023 vs 2024). GOOD NEWS!!

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
:cat2:Happy Dance today! Bella and I were dancing to "Celebration" from Kool and the Gang ?! I wanted to share the reason I am so grateful ? and happy....Bella's lab results from our vet visit yesterday, 1/23/24. Please see attached. To help put things in perspective, I'll share a little chart I created. Note that in August at vet I was informed Bella had developed anemia and hypercalcemia along with previous early stage kidney disease already. FYI at yesterday's visit, the dr had a good look inside Bella's mouth and saw no evidence of sores or lesions (she never had them yet but just sharing) as well as her teeth looked great, no redness along the gums. Also, note the recent results will reflect what Bella's picture looks like after having had an appt with Dr. Judy Herman (homeopathic vet) for the 1st time last month on 12/12 & by mid December I had transitioned Bella back to a raw food diet after having been following a nutritional vet's recommendations for home cooked low protein higher carb diet. Bella has eaten a raw food diet all of her life until I was informed Bella had early stage renal disease. Now, with feeding Bella predominantly beef raw food (Primal brand) per Dr. Herman's recommendation, I add Aventi kidney complete and Standard Process rena food, as well as the usual Purina Calming Care, omega 3 oils from Nordic Natural, and Sustenance Herbs Joint Works for arthritis.

Test8/4/231/23/24
Urine specific gravity1.0191.019
T42.22.2
RBC5.78.0
WBC9.510.9
Protein6.47.4
Urea Nitrogen2943
Albumin3.84.3
Creatinine2.92.4
SDMA19.715
BUN/Creatinine ratio1018
Phosphorus6.33.8
Calcium11.110.3
Potassium4.24.5

Now the fun part since I feel more relaxed with the good news and thanks to my HA members, you have helped me build my confidence that I can see positive results by taking charge and making informed decisions rather than taking what one dr says as gospel. The world is my oyster as far as what I can do to help support Bella along her journey. Over the weekend I finally reviewed the entire section in the Resources area of HA on urinary issues, focusing on kidneys. I now have some questions:

1. In your humble opinion dear doctors and members, are there any vitamins or supplements you would recommend? I saw or heard the following mentioned in your resources: B vitamins (Bella does pee a lot) - I do have Bragg nutritional yeast flakes which my kitties have always loved, there are B vitamins in this, what do you think?, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Aminavast (amino acid blend), fermented foods, CoQ10, mitochondrial support, Rx Renal, probiotics (azodyl) and prebiotics (I'd like to take a step up from Purina Calming Care if I can do better than this product for Bella, it had been recommended by my vet last year), normosol, uva ursi (i saw this on Dr Lisa Fox webinar, I have used this as a detox per my own naturopathic dr - I may have some left in a bottle), vetriscience renal essentials, calcitriol and something I recall Dr. Jean recommended about standard process spleen dessicated.

2. My house could stand to get new carpet installed this year, but I am concerned about stressing Bella's kidneys due to any chemicals that may be emitted. Thoughts?

3. Now that I made the right choice by choosing the very compassionate vet I did yesterday (he will be cleaning Bella's sister Maya's teeth next week as she needs a dental), I will next transition to the holistic vet on staff there, Dr. Coger! Excited to continue to explore ways to support Bella, such as acupuncture, maybe have the house vet come in and choose some chinese herbs down the road, not now, since Bella is taking a remedy from Dr. Herman, light therapy. I'll continue to give her reiki and EFT, and use my assisi loop and copaiba EO's in diffuser with room to roam and leave.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT!!!

Attachments

• Bella Geleta Copy of Urine Test Results 1 24 24.pdf
    187.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Bella Geleta Copy of Thyroid blood work 1 24 24.pdf
    173.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Bella Geleta Copy of Blood work results 1 24 24.pdf
    216.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Bella Geleta copy of blood work results 3 1 24 24.pdf
    232 KB · Views: 0

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yay Daysha! :snowman:Go Bella!! ?

Thanks so much for sharing your blood test trending report.
are there any vitamins or supplements you would recommend?
Hmm, there are many possibilities however as you know dear Daysha, our focus is on energetic actions vs. the physiologic effect of supplements.

I think you have most of the important areas covered. Possibly tho consider rotational probiotics like Azodyl (which is a probiotic specifically for kidney support) and Felix's Flora (a species appropriate probiotic from Adored Beast).

And maybe add the kidney supporting amino acids in AminAvast and nutritional support of Standard Process Renafood.

My house could stand to get new carpet installed this year, but I am concerned about stressing Bella's kidneys due to any chemicals
Be careful to investigate the chemical treatment both of the carpet and any glue or padding used for it.
THANK YOU
You're welcome! And thank you for sharing the good news.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Ya know, were it I thinking of new carpet, I probably just wouldn't. There are many ways in which this might be disturbing - not just the new chemicals, but the new environment, smells, textures - the possibilities to upset the kids' world view, possibly challenging them, using energy better spent being totally comfortable and familiar so that the animals can focus - on a deep physical as well as emotional level - on healing their insides.
I'll bet not many of our really tuned-in, multiple animal caretakers would even dream about replacing carpet. I could be wrong - but then, I've got mainly laminate. For brilliant, healthy big dogs, it might be fine to change, but for elderly, (can you say "spoiled"?) somewhat compromised kitties it might be a bit much to process. Oh, and bravo, bigly, on all you have accomplished for Bella....

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
Yay Daysha! :snowman:Go Bella!! ?

Thanks so much for sharing your blood test trending report.

Hmm, there are many possibilities however as you know dear Daysha, our focus is on energetic actions vs. the physiologic effect of supplements.

I think you have most of the important areas covered. Possibly tho consider rotational probiotics like Azodyl (which is a probiotic specifically for kidney support) and Felix's Flora (a species appropriate probiotic from Adored Beast).

And maybe add the kidney supporting amino acids in AminAvast and nutritional support of Standard Process Renafood.

Be careful to investigate the chemical treatment both of the carpet and any glue or padding used for it.

You're welcome! And thank you for sharing the good news.
@Dr. Jeff thank you! I also forgot to ask opinions about weight loss, which Bella has been trending in the direction of losing weight. I realize part muscle mass loss and old age but I'd imagine the kidneys are a factor here too. I am already giving her the max amount for cats at her weight (according to Primal feeding graph), but is there anything in your experience I could be doing different?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
is there anything in your experience I could be doing different?
If she is eating well, perhaps feed her more!

Use lots of freeze-dried hearts for treats and in a snuffle mat.

Also, look for foods with branched chain amino acids (BCAAs), eggs and Myos:

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
If she is eating well, perhaps feed her more!

Use lots of freeze-dried hearts for treats and in a snuffle mat.

Also, look for foods with branched chain amino acids (BCAAs), eggs and Myos:

@Dr. Jeff oh yes, she always has LOVED to eat! Thanks for all of the suggestions in this post. ?‍♀️

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Daysha!

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
Tagging @Dr. Jean Hofve in case she didn't see this earlier post of mine with recent values for Bella! Would love to hear your feedback. By the way, Bella enjoyed a raw chicken neck tonight, a new treat for her. She was gnawing away. I didn't let her chew up the whole thing though. I wasn't sure cats can eat the whole chicken neck for fear she might choke.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Thanks Daysha, it's looking good! BUN up to 36 is normal--for cats who eat kibble! Raw diet increases the upper level by a good 10 points. Stress/dehydration (like going to the vet!) could certainly push it far higher. Creatinine is normal. SDMA is next to normal (not a very good test anyway). The urine is dilute (again, compared to cats who eat kibble) but with a high-moisture diet there is no reason for her to ultra-concentrate. Bottom line: I do not see kidney disease here. Well done!!

BTW a whole chicken neck is probably a bit much... one or two vertebrae is a good after-dinner snack!

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
Thanks Daysha, it's looking good! BUN up to 36 is normal--for cats who eat kibble! Raw diet increases the upper level by a good 10 points. Stress/dehydration (like going to the vet!) could certainly push it far higher. Creatinine is normal. SDMA is next to normal (not a very good test anyway). The urine is dilute (again, compared to cats who eat kibble) but with a high-moisture diet there is no reason for her to ultra-concentrate. Bottom line: I do not see kidney disease here. Well done!!

BTW a whole chicken neck is probably a bit much... one or two vertebrae is a good after-dinner snack!
@Dr. Jean Hofve thank you! And it is safe for Bella to swallow the bones from a segment of a chicken neck? I had a great appointment today with Dr. Judy Herman/Homeopath who is also very pleased with Bella's current results. :)

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I'd say yes, on the bones. These are tiny and relatively soft, and should yield to her molars - and if not, quite, they are small enough in diameter to pass through the intestines, and softened further by the digestive enzymes.

Great job, you two:)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom