• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Shedding a virus - from homevet.com

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
What exactly does this mean? I have a 4 year old cat who was exposed to the feline leukemia virus (by his mom) and does shedding it mean that is good or bad? How can one tell if the virus is indeed active or in remission. I have given him for 3 nights (2) 30cc pulsatilla pellets. Is there any other advice for how to bring this into remission? I do not want to have him tested as he is stressed enough from his mother’s death.

I am still so confused as to how she contracted the virus in the first place since she was an indoor only cat and not exposed to other animals.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Annette said:
What exactly does this mean?

How can one tell if the virus is indeed active or in remission.

Is there any other adivse for how to bring this into remission?

I am still so confused as to how she contracted the virus in the first place since she was an indoor only cat and not exposed to other animals.

I’m so sorry for the loss of your mama cat.

1-It means that the virus may be present in saliva, urine, stool, etc. and therefore other animals could be at risk.

2-Usually based on active symptoms of disease, e,g, cancer, anemias, high white count, liver, kidney, or other organ problems, fluid in the chest or belly, etc.

3-The best way to treat a leukemia positive cat is to strengthen the immune system. This is done by optimal diet (fresh/real food and meat-based), good hygiene with plenty of exercise and proper weight, and constitutional homeopathic prescribing over the life of your cat. I would advise contacting an experienced vet homeopath for proper treatment.

4-Probably at birth.

Dr. Jeff

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I really appreciate the information you have given me to help with Whitey’s “maybe” active leukemia. So far, he seems pretty good. I do use Dr.Pitcairn’s book as sort of an adivsory. Unfortuantely, due to my husband’s medical condition (he recently started dialysis), we really do not have the extra money for me to go to a holistic vet. So, I shall do the best I can. I feed him only food from the health food store (endorsed by Andrew Weil, M.D.) food, I give him Healthy Powder sprinkled on his dry food and only bottled water.

I also do use the homeopathic pellets when I see changes in his mood/health. So far, the pulsatilla has worked, as he became extremely clingy after his mom died.

Again, thank you for your help and kind words. If there is anything else you feel might help, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Good morning,

I have noticed that my cat, Whitey, is not eating a lot these last couple of days. I intend to buy some raw liver today and force him (if necessary) to have some. I think what I need to know and what worries me is…with his active leukemia state, IS there a chance for remission of the virus? I am sure without seeing him, this is a silly question, but I guess I am looking for some hope. The “regular” vet said not really, but I refuse to believe that. I am so incredibly worried about him. Thanks.

Annette

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Annette said:
.with his active leukemia state, IS there a chance for remission of the virus?

The answer depends on what you mean by “active”. If he already has severe anemia or advanced lymphosarcoma (cancer) associated with the virus the prognosis is generally not good (no matter what you do).

That being said, I don’t however typically associate the word remission with feline leukemia because in my opinion, it is not typically a virulent or rapidly progressing disease like “cancer”.

As I have mentioned elsewhere (see What Can I Do if My Cat Has a Serious Viral Infection? ), excellent nutrition, appropriate supplementation and homeopathy can often help cats that are FeLV positive live long and happy lives.

Dr. Jeff

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom