• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Senior Male Dog struggling with eating, balance, anxiety, nausea and inconsistent bowels

Snickerson

Registered
  1. Your pet's name Ali dog
  2. Approximate age 13
  3. Sex Male
  4. Neutering status Fixed
  5. Breed Shiba enu and beagle mixed
  6. Approximate weight 28 lbs
  7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) B: tail wagging on and off depending on flare up, E low with flare up other wise good, barking and being watch dog and hungry and playful in kitchen, A: low w flare up but other wise ravenous and ready for more. M: tired and wobbly with flare up otherwise happy and wanting to be with us and his sister who makes everything better. wants to be with the pack.
  8. Diet: Changing every couple days bc he doesn’t want to eat something after a couple of days. Moved away from dry kibble 4 weeks ago w the episode and still trying to find out what will work for him. Tried Raw food and he wouldn't eat it. Lightly cooked food he really likes for a week then stopped with that yesterday. Added back in 1/4 cup of grain free quality kibble for calories bc he needs to gain 5-8 pounds back per his Vet. Tried dehydrated food he ate it for a couple days then got picky and refused it. Recent pattern is he will be gaining vitality and eating great, BEAM high, then after a week BEAM declines, he starts refusing food he loved and then back to rice and wild caught salmon or organic chicken in a can which seems to be the default when all else fails right now. This has happened twice in the last 4 weeks.
  9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication. Was on Galliprant for arthritis once a week for last year after big hikes, then once found multiple masses in stomach, and intestines four weeks ago changed to gabapentin . Taking 1 every 12 hours and sometimes every 8 hours as giving one to help him sleep. Recent vaccinations would be the Lepro vaccine this summer prior to issues. Not sure how close together that was with the recent ER visit as I am just realizing this. Also taking Cerenia for nausea as needed which has been twice for 1-2 days over the last 4 weeks. He took one yesterday and ate this morning but wouldn't eat yesterday's food and had to try the rice and wild caught salmon in can. Had Cerenia today at 11am when he wouldn't eat again and he was eating grass and I suspected nausea. He then continued to eat grass this afternoon, drank water and didn’t ever throw up and still Not hungry for any food this evening.
  10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time. Primary problem was Vomiting 5+ times over 24 hours at the lake 4.5 weeks ago, that led to an ER visit with gastroenteritis . Sprung back for 24 hours w rice and chicken breast at home, then relapsed over 48 hours, Back at ER with fluids overnight 4 weeks ago. BEAM declined, eating less and less, got fluids and stayed overnight. When discharged he was a totally different dog. Not sure if from the drugs or ? Incredibly feeble, wobbly, and BEAM declined. They told us to prepare to transition him as were not sure how much time we would have with him. Overnight he fasted. Next day he sprung back with love, touch, and rice and chicken breasts then we nursed him back with better food choices getting as close to raw as possible and was maintaining his weight, BEAM was improved and high. Then two flares up in the last two weeks, one last sunday over a week ago with vomiting twice which he again fasted and took Cerenia, ate breakfast and then bounced back from and BEAM improved significantly. Now the recent flare up started this past Sunday night with refusing to eat and BEAM declining with wobbles and instability physically and he is just maintaining BEAM. Had Cerenia On Monday and 24 hrs later today at 11am. He ate breakfast (rice and salmon last resort) but would not eat again today. Had diarrhea at times when he ate over the last 2 says and then 1-2 soft but more firm bowel movements today. This evening we got out in nature for a short walk today and he sniffed, ate grass, and wagged tail and popped up to greet other dogs and people. He didn't eat when we got home and is now resting. Tail wagged being out walking and in nature. He had not been out for two days. Big concern is that he has been anxious at night last three nights wanting to go out and sniff, walk around but he is peeing that is clear or light yellow regularly.
  11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? His condition is worse in all of this scenarios when he is in a flare up. He does perk up with walks in nature even in flare up. Heat is really hard on him. Likes being touched but will move away from cuddling at times but wants to be touching his poodle sister or his dad. His condition is he has lost 5lbs and maintaining with flare ups where he won’t eat and struggling to get those pounds back on consistently and BEAM declines and appears uncomfortable with short naps and pacing in at night. The pacing at night is new as of Sunday night.
  12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them). Did an ultrasound of his belly and found multiple masses in his belly affecting his stomach, intestines and liver. Did not do any further testing as told inoperable.
  13. Current and previous treatment: Gabapentin for pain and arthritis and cerenia tablet once a week with flare up with nausea or vomiting. Cbd drops for anxiety every other day, b12 1-2 drops every other day, Vit c 1 =3 drops , celery juice 5-10 drops all liquid. Kind of rotate these out just giving 1-2 lquid drops of 1-2 products each day but always giving the celery juice which is what I started with and got results fast and improved BEAM after the ER.
  14. Other health concerns: he tested positive for having Lyme antibodies almost 2 years ago. We did the round of antibiotics for a month bc we were in an area that became a pandemic on CDC list. Some of the symptoms I am now seeing with the nausea, lack of appetite and decreasing BEAM include head ticks, back legs wobbling, inability to stay sitting up with front legs collapsing and back legs even weaker. And recently pacing at night and wanting to go out side all night long as if anxious. Not doing anything outside but walking. Curious if the ER visit re activated Lyme and what I can do for thees neurological issues.
  15. I just learned this morning that the Airbnb we are staying out and arrived at on Sunday when the issues started sprayed for mosquitos recently. It has been raining ever since we got here. We have wiped off paws coming inside but Ali kept drinking water out of small puddles in the yard. His sister poodle threw up monday morning after we arrived but bounced back by the afternoon..so now I am wondering if the pesticide is still on the property and the rain stirred it up and he Is suffering from ingestion.
  16. I am looking for any tips on how to best support him in each moment. My questions at this time are:
  17. Is the neurological issues Lyme or low blood sugar bc he is not eating or something else and how to support him? or possible run off from pesticide spray? and how to support?
  18. How to best navigate his diet that is sustabinable
  19. How to support him with sleep and rest at night,
  20. How to best support these "flare ups" or recognize if in fact it is a permanent decline..
  21. best nutritional support that will not overwhelm his system
  22. How to best address the neurological issues
  23. Is there an alternative to Gabapentin or is this best for now? and is it ok to take a second one to assist sleep?
  24. What warrants a visit to the Vet at this point?
thank you for reading and thank you so much for your time. I truly appreciate and value this opportunity for feedback.
Avid Ali dog lover.
Shannon Lee

@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Sara @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Jessica @Dr. Lisa @Dr.Eli @Dr.Lorrie @drabenda

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Shannon!

I'm sorry to hear about Ali's challenges.
  1. I am looking for any tips on how to best support him in each moment. My questions at this time are:
Many of my answers for general support would be the same as we discussed. Everything is based on BEAM, energy, balance and happiness. Specific test results, dis-ease names and diagnoses provide useful info but don't guide us to a good quality of life.

1. Is the neurological issues Lyme or low blood sugar bc
Has he had serial blood sugar tests or a fasting sugar level? True neuro. Lyme is pretty rare IMHO.
  1. he is not eating or something else and how to support him?
Try even more and different foods, flavors, textures, etc.
  1. or possible run off from pesticide spray?
It's possible but unlikely unless he had a direct exposure. Does he drink standing water (if so, try to prevent that)?
  1. How to best navigate his diet that is sustabinable
Sustainable in what sense? NoBL vegan bars are great and very environmentally sustainable:

1. How to support him with sleep and rest at night,
What have you tried? @Dr. Jean Hofve may be able to guide you to useful flower essences.
  1. How to best support these "flare ups" or recognize if in fact it is a permanent decline..
The best support is mentioned above (happiness, sniffing, energy, etc.))
  1. best nutritional support that will not overwhelm his system
That will depend on the context of his full case. A vet homeopath who takes his case (typically ~2 hours of info) may be the best to help with appetite, diet (and his other issues). In general, human baby food is palatable and very digestible.
  1. How to best address the neurological issues
  2. Is there an alternative to Gabapentin or is this best for now? and is it ok to take a second one to assist sleep?
Both questions are best answered by focusing on his inner terrain:

1. What warrants a visit to the Vet at this point?
Great question, thanks for asking! A vet visit and exam is always warranted if you are worried. If your local vet is not supportive of your desire to treat more holistically, this article might help:

Snickerson

Registered
We ended up taking him to the vet yesterday. he has lost 2 more pounds and was really warm and felt like he had a fever. Vet gave him sub q fluids with B12, injection of cerenia, and small amount of antibiotic for the fever. She also started him on .5 mg of prednisone. He did eat when we got home last night, which was a win and slept thru the night great. Wouldn't eat what he had last night so back to wild caught salmon and organic beef canned food this am. gave him .25 prednisone bc worried about this gastrointetines and bleeding but just learned about the "loading" theory with it and am reluctantly giving him another 5mg bc feeling desperate. Not bouncing back like he did the last two weeks.

B: standing up and staring at me, bits of tail wagging and coming towards me
E; better but still lethargic, sleeping on my biomat on lowest setting on his own.
A: ate this morning small ant but not interested at lunch gave him entice which he hated and crawled under the bed. he didn't do that from the celery juice :(
M: seems a lil confused, but is barking and being a watchdog between naps and going outside and peeing on his own. No bm/s yet.

MelissaC

VIP Member
Registered
  1. Your pet's name Ali dog
  2. Approximate age 13
  3. Sex Male
  4. Neutering status Fixed
  5. Breed Shiba enu and beagle mixed
  6. Approximate weight 28 lbs
  7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) B: tail wagging on and off depending on flare up, E low with flare up other wise good, barking and being watch dog and hungry and playful in kitchen, A: low w flare up but other wise ravenous and ready for more. M: tired and wobbly with flare up otherwise happy and wanting to be with us and his sister who makes everything better. wants to be with the pack.
  8. Diet: Changing every couple days bc he doesn’t want to eat something after a couple of days. Moved away from dry kibble 4 weeks ago w the episode and still trying to find out what will work for him. Tried Raw food and he wouldn't eat it. Lightly cooked food he really likes for a week then stopped with that yesterday. Added back in 1/4 cup of grain free quality kibble for calories bc he needs to gain 5-8 pounds back per his Vet. Tried dehydrated food he ate it for a couple days then got picky and refused it. Recent pattern is he will be gaining vitality and eating great, BEAM high, then after a week BEAM declines, he starts refusing food he loved and then back to rice and wild caught salmon or organic chicken in a can which seems to be the default when all else fails right now. This has happened twice in the last 4 weeks.
  9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication. Was on Galliprant for arthritis once a week for last year after big hikes, then once found multiple masses in stomach, and intestines four weeks ago changed to gabapentin . Taking 1 every 12 hours and sometimes every 8 hours as giving one to help him sleep. Recent vaccinations would be the Lepro vaccine this summer prior to issues. Not sure how close together that was with the recent ER visit as I am just realizing this. Also taking Cerenia for nausea as needed which has been twice for 1-2 days over the last 4 weeks. He took one yesterday and ate this morning but wouldn't eat yesterday's food and had to try the rice and wild caught salmon in can. Had Cerenia today at 11am when he wouldn't eat again and he was eating grass and I suspected nausea. He then continued to eat grass this afternoon, drank water and didn’t ever throw up and still Not hungry for any food this evening.
  10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time. Primary problem was Vomiting 5+ times over 24 hours at the lake 4.5 weeks ago, that led to an ER visit with gastroenteritis . Sprung back for 24 hours w rice and chicken breast at home, then relapsed over 48 hours, Back at ER with fluids overnight 4 weeks ago. BEAM declined, eating less and less, got fluids and stayed overnight. When discharged he was a totally different dog. Not sure if from the drugs or ? Incredibly feeble, wobbly, and BEAM declined. They told us to prepare to transition him as were not sure how much time we would have with him. Overnight he fasted. Next day he sprung back with love, touch, and rice and chicken breasts then we nursed him back with better food choices getting as close to raw as possible and was maintaining his weight, BEAM was improved and high. Then two flares up in the last two weeks, one last sunday over a week ago with vomiting twice which he again fasted and took Cerenia, ate breakfast and then bounced back from and BEAM improved significantly. Now the recent flare up started this past Sunday night with refusing to eat and BEAM declining with wobbles and instability physically and he is just maintaining BEAM. Had Cerenia On Monday and 24 hrs later today at 11am. He ate breakfast (rice and salmon last resort) but would not eat again today. Had diarrhea at times when he ate over the last 2 says and then 1-2 soft but more firm bowel movements today. This evening we got out in nature for a short walk today and he sniffed, ate grass, and wagged tail and popped up to greet other dogs and people. He didn't eat when we got home and is now resting. Tail wagged being out walking and in nature. He had not been out for two days. Big concern is that he has been anxious at night last three nights wanting to go out and sniff, walk around but he is peeing that is clear or light yellow regularly.
  11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? His condition is worse in all of this scenarios when he is in a flare up. He does perk up with walks in nature even in flare up. Heat is really hard on him. Likes being touched but will move away from cuddling at times but wants to be touching his poodle sister or his dad. His condition is he has lost 5lbs and maintaining with flare ups where he won’t eat and struggling to get those pounds back on consistently and BEAM declines and appears uncomfortable with short naps and pacing in at night. The pacing at night is new as of Sunday night.
  12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them). Did an ultrasound of his belly and found multiple masses in his belly affecting his stomach, intestines and liver. Did not do any further testing as told inoperable.
  13. Current and previous treatment: Gabapentin for pain and arthritis and cerenia tablet once a week with flare up with nausea or vomiting. Cbd drops for anxiety every other day, b12 1-2 drops every other day, Vit c 1 =3 drops , celery juice 5-10 drops all liquid. Kind of rotate these out just giving 1-2 lquid drops of 1-2 products each day but always giving the celery juice which is what I started with and got results fast and improved BEAM after the ER.
  14. Other health concerns: he tested positive for having Lyme antibodies almost 2 years ago. We did the round of antibiotics for a month bc we were in an area that became a pandemic on CDC list. Some of the symptoms I am now seeing with the nausea, lack of appetite and decreasing BEAM include head ticks, back legs wobbling, inability to stay sitting up with front legs collapsing and back legs even weaker. And recently pacing at night and wanting to go out side all night long as if anxious. Not doing anything outside but walking. Curious if the ER visit re activated Lyme and what I can do for thees neurological issues.
  15. I just learned this morning that the Airbnb we are staying out and arrived at on Sunday when the issues started sprayed for mosquitos recently. It has been raining ever since we got here. We have wiped off paws coming inside but Ali kept drinking water out of small puddles in the yard. His sister poodle threw up monday morning after we arrived but bounced back by the afternoon..so now I am wondering if the pesticide is still on the property and the rain stirred it up and he Is suffering from ingestion.
  16. I am looking for any tips on how to best support him in each moment. My questions at this time are:
  17. Is the neurological issues Lyme or low blood sugar bc he is not eating or something else and how to support him? or possible run off from pesticide spray? and how to support?
  18. How to best navigate his diet that is sustabinable
  19. How to support him with sleep and rest at night,
  20. How to best support these "flare ups" or recognize if in fact it is a permanent decline..
  21. best nutritional support that will not overwhelm his system
  22. How to best address the neurological issues
  23. Is there an alternative to Gabapentin or is this best for now? and is it ok to take a second one to assist sleep?
  24. What warrants a visit to the Vet at this point?
thank you for reading and thank you so much for your time. I truly appreciate and value this opportunity for feedback.
Avid Ali dog lover.
Shannon Lee

@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Sara @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Jessica @Dr. Lisa @Dr.Eli @Dr.Lorrie @drabenda
Hi, I’m sorry to hear about Ali,

These are just some thoughts I had after reading your post…

Some of what you describe sounds like a vestibular event, repeated vomiting, wobbling or inability to walk or stand.

Cerenia can have a hangover period and can contribute to balance issues.

I think allowing puppers who are older and/or ill to fast is a helpful practice. Not for days on end, but every couple days try and skip a meal might help. The other thing that can be helpful is to cook and purée the food. Breaking it down for him helps ease up on his digestion.

If he has these masses and seems to be in discomfort, looking into stronger daily pain management may be helpful to him. Whatever would make him the most comfortable. If he doesn’t respond to those it may be the clarity you need to know where he stands.

It’s never easy when they are I’ll, but he’s lucky to have you on his side.

Take care,

Melissa

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for your wonderful post Missy! I appreciate it.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hi Missy! Well that is a complicated situation for sure! A couple comments:
  • Gabapentin by itself is not usually enough for pain, so definitely consider something more effective.
  • Consider flower essences like scleranthus for balance, or Quiet Night (jacksongalaxy.com) for the nighttime restlessness. (You could use both simultaneously in this case.)
  • Meat baby food is a great idea (thanks Dr. Jeff!) and if he likes it, it can be smeared on the top of other food to get him started.
  • Agree that skipping a meal here and there is a good idea; but it seems like he is taking care of this himself, so let him do that.
  • Other possible help for neurologic issues (it's about seizures but 2, 3, and 4 especially could apply here too): Seizures and Epilepsy | Little Big Cat - Dr. Jean Hofve. #6 (Boswellia) is a great pain-killer too.
  • A "keto" type diet (very low carb) can help with cancer if that's what the masses are. However if he's losing weight then some carbs (like white rice) are appropriate.
  • Consider some type of stomach protectant for the nausea, like marshmallow root, between meals. It can be made into a syrup and syringed to him (if he doesn't object too strongly). It's a little sweet so he may volunteer to take it.
Please keep us posted!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
He is so blessed to have you searching for options.

You have gotten a lot of options to think about from Drs Jeff and Jean.

I would encourage you to have a holistic vet (even virtual), so do read the article on selecting a vet.

Offering different foods every few meals can help provide better nutrition (each food has different protein, vitamin and mineral profiles) and may help the appetite. Maybe a little activity, or focused massage before feeding.

Keep yourself inspired (and nuture your health) by listening to our webinars (and also at All Paws Pet Talk TV) by Bernie Siegel, Grandmother Nancy, isla fishburn, Cathy malkin, ken Cohen, ellies barn and so many more.

Happy dance with Ali dog; laugh together; remember past (and visualize them in the future) fun times.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom