• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Question about giving aloe vera juice for chronic constipation in cat

RuthR

VIP Member
Registered
My 14-year old Maine Coon cat, Teddy, struggles with chronic constipation. His diet is now some some raw and some lightly cooked ground chicken and chicken hearts plus a little bit of ground burger. I have read that a little bit of aloe vera juice can help. I have two questions:

How much aloe vera juice would I give to him, and how often?

Can this be the liquid squeezed from my aloe vera plant, or do I need to purchase some organic aloe vera juice?

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Thanks for trying some holistic approaches for Teddy.

How is Teddy over all? How is his BEAM? Other problems?

You can squeeze from the aloe plant, just need the gel only. (@Dr. Jean Hofve has more on using the plant). You can get the juice. However, many cats do not like Aloe on a regular basis. And this will not cure the problem, only possibly help.

Feeding chunks of meat rather then ground can sometimes help. Are you giving a calcium supplement? Probiotics? Digestive enzymes?

What have you tried so far?

Do search this forum for constipation for a few posts.
And go to the main page to the resource library and click on digestive - there are some links there to constipation and a great interview with Dr. Jean Hofve.

Have you worked with a homeopathic or good Chinese Medicine veterinarian? constipation, in most cats, is caused by an underlying energy imbalance that, if not rebalanced, will merely get worse over time. This is really the most important thing you can do to prevent future illness.

Day by day, do the happiness protocol, exercise and all sorts of fun with Teddy.
Dr. Chambreau

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Ruth!
How much aloe vera juice would I give to him, and how often?
That will depend on how easy it is to get him to take it. I typically start kitties with just a tbsp. 1-2x a day.
Can this be the liquid squeezed from my aloe vera plant, or do I need to purchase some organic aloe vera juice
I typically use the juice for myself, cats and dogs.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom