• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

How to help pancreatitis in 14 yr old cat?

RochelleB

Community Member
Registered
Charlie is a ~14 year old male, neutered cat. I got him as an ~8 years old foster cat and his history is unknown. He was found as a very sick stray on the streets. He appears to be at least partially a ragdoll and weighs a little under 9 lbs.

BEAM: Charlie loves people and can’t get enough lap time. He welcomes all guests and I usually ask anyone working in my home if they mind having a helper, as Charlie will be by their side. He has always been a little on the lower energy side and sleeps a ton. He loves food typically, but recently his appetite is very poor. His mood is typically happy and demanding, but at the moment he is mostly listless and down. I’m particularly disturbed by his trembling on and off that started several weeks ago, as I wonder if it’s due to pain.

Diet: Due to his current illness, I am feeding him almost anything he will eat, but it’s all canned food or baby food. Prior to his illness, he was on Royal Canin Renal D for CKD, but I was transitioning him to a raw diet. I believe I pushed his body over the edge with the raw food transition (how I don’t know) so have gone back to canned foods for now. I’m concerned about feeding raw until I know how to transition him safely. Any input is appreciated. The original transition was to a small amount of raw chicken thigh, then added a small amount of liver, then added some supplements all while also giving him much of his original food. I never fully transitioned him before he got sick.

Problem: Now - Chronic Pancreatitis that has flared. Past several years - allergies/chronic rhinitis and constipation. I have been hoping to get Charlie off some of his medication for a while and wanted to start with a raw diet. Three weeks into the food transition he became very ill. He stopped eating, was clearly in pain, frequented the litter box and then I saw blood in his urine. This was just before Thanksgiving. I took him to the vet thinking a blockage, but no issues were found. They had started him on Orbax in case of infection, but I stopped that a couple days in. They did find the following: fPL2 = 11.9. He was referred to an internist for an ultrasound and she definitively diagnosed chronic pancreatitis based on identified nodules and inflammation. She could not rule out cancer without a biopsy. He was started on a conventional treatment protocol of Cerenia, 100ml fluids daily, buprenex, mirtazapine, famotidine, and in the last week, increased his steroids to 5mg prednisolone daily. I also added .1ml CBD oil 1xdaily. Larger meals seem to make him worse, also some foods trigger him going to the litter box I’m assuming to poop, but with no production.

It’s been a couple weeks and he seemed to have turned a corner in the last few days, but then this morning he seemed to slip backwards and again wasn’t eating well (I’m hand feeding him), he seemed to not feel well, and was trembling until I gave him bup. I had stopped mirtazapine as he seemed a little better but may need to restart if eating doesn’t improve. He continues to go to the litter box without pooping but not as much as he was when he originally got sick. I have not seen any blood in his urine beyond the one time.

Note: he normally takes Zyrtec 5mg/daily, 2.5 mg prednisolone daily, 2 puffs Flovent 2x daily and Miralax daily for allergies/rhinitis and constipation. Supplementation of potassium also 1x daily. My original goal before he got sick was to reduce or eliminate pred, Zyrtec and hopefully stop Miralax.

The internist that did the ultrasound will most likely suggest an aspiration of Charlie’s pancreas to determine if it’s cancer since he is still struggling. Another procedure/test isn’t what I’m hoping for as it’s so hard on him. I’m looking for alternative ideas in treatment, or diet ideas, or any other suggestions to make him more comfortable and to help him heal. Ultimately, I really hope to get his whole body back into balance. I’ve done quite a bit of research and much of the information is for treating dogs. I’ve also found some conflicting information about cats, i.e. what the best diet is and if fat content really matters. Both vets Charlie sees support the idea that fat isn’t an issue for cats, but I still wonder? I’ve also found information on Holistic Actions which has been very educational, but I would be uncomfortable moving forward with much of it without professional guidance (like from you all) due to Charlie’s other issues and complexity (CKD, allergies, sinus issues, GI issues). Also, which steps do you take first, what’s most important? Should I give him chicken again but cook it for now? I don’t want to inadvertently make him worse as I did with the food transition and I'm new to holistic approaches. I also understand that if this is cancer, treatments may yield little results.

Test results are attached.

Attachments

• Charlie Bloodwork 20221122 - Pancreatitis.pdf
    693.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Charlie Ultrasound results 200221123 - Pancreatitis.pdf
    631.8 KB · Views: 0

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I believe I pushed his body over the edge with the raw food transition (how I don’t know) so have
Hi Rochelle-

I'm super sorry to hear about Charlie's health challenges.

Thanks for making your first post.

I think we already discussed some of your questions during our HMDM call, so please let me know if the below is at all helpful
gone back to canned foods for now
Was there any kind of food that he used to love? Have you tried fermented raw goat's milk?

Perhaps mix a 1/4 tsp of Small Batch raw food in with the canned food you're feeding. Will he eat off a spoon (more hygienic if you use any raw mixed in the canned)?
he seemed to have turned a corner in the last few days, but then this morning he seemed to slip backwards and again wasn’t eating well
His dynamic (changeable) equilibrium will normally have good days and less good/bad days but over time the balance will tip in favorof good days and a great life (again).
he normally takes Zyrtec 5mg/daily, 2.5 mg prednisolone daily, 2 puffs Flovent 2x daily and Miralax daily for allergies/rhinitis and constipation.
As his balance improves, there should be less and less reason for your vet to need to use any artificial drugs.
Also, which steps do you take first, what’s most important?
Love, love, and more love... Focusing on what he loves to do and eat (which brings him "cellular joy"), loving him up (with petting, stimulating purring, playing, etc.).
I also understand that if this is cancer, treatments may yield little results.
The results will be optimal, regardless of diagnosis! It's helpful to not work against his body (with antis) and to make the shift from the fixed mindset that results from symptoms, dis-eases and diagnoses to the re-growth mindset (his body is designed to re-grow and re-balance).

I look forward to speaking again soon.

RochelleB

Community Member
Registered
Thank you for your response Dr. Jeff.

Charlie is having a better day today and willing to eat several foods. BEAM overall is much better. I've given him a couple small pieces of raw chicken thigh with his food. Should it be lower fat meat, like chicken breast for now since his pancreas is struggling? He has been interested in the raw goat's milk and I will give him a small amount daily. Any thoughts on how much for such a sensitive kitty?

I will look into special ordering Small Batch raw food as no one carries raw food for cats where I live. Also, it has bone in it and my understanding is that cats with CKD should not have raw with bones due to phosphorus? Is that true, or is the assumption that the calcium:phosphorus ratio in something like Small Batch makes it safe for CKD cats?

As Charlie begins to feel a little better, would you recommend to just focus on diet first? Of course, that's behind love, love, love, play, snuggles and fav foods (which is often everything when he feels well). :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Should it be lower fat meat, like chicken breast for now since his pancreas is struggling?
Lower fat is indeed easier for his pancreas to handle.
He has been interested in the raw goat's milk and I will give him a small amount daily. Any thoughts on how much for such a sensitive kitty?
As often as he wants (but no more than 1/4 cup at a time).
As Charlie begins to feel a little better, would you recommend to just focus on diet first? Of course, that's behind love, love, love, play, snuggles
Diet + extra love + snuggles + play all at once!

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
What I have learned from Dr. Judy Morgan on Pancreatitis has been so helpful. She has recipes for short term acute Pancreatitis on her website and says only feed for 2 weeks...fish and pumpkin. Rabbit is also very low fat and I love Viva Raw. Our Cat had acute Pancreatitis 3 x and we nearly lost him at 3 years old. I thought I was feeding good food. We finally got a truly Holistic Vet that used Kan Spleen Support and Acupuncture to balance him. she said his Pancrease was shutting down because his Spleen was not being supported enough. He did a 180 turnaround after 1 treatment and a few days...he has never had that again in 5 years. Highly recommend Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs...saved our Cats life! Wishing you the best. Please keep us updated on what worked and how Charlie is feeling. Sending love and healing.

RochelleB

Community Member
Registered
Thank you so much @LaurenHW . That is wonderful to hear and I've been scouring Dr. Morgan's site, but didn't find the fish and pumpkin recipe. I apologize I didn't respond to your message. Somehow I thought I'd be notified if someone responded to my post. I will check my settings for sure!

It's been a huge struggle. I have not been able to find a holistic vet in my area and Charlie has been up and down with his current treatment. It's been extremely difficult to try to piece together treatment on my own as Charlie is a fairly complex case and I do not have experience in holistic medicine. I am thankful to have a phone consult with Dr. Jeff next week if I can keep Charlie going. I have been able to get him to eat some raw rabbit daily and a little goat's milk, but also baby food and whatever else he will eat to be honest, including canned foods. His internal medicine doctor has suggested a feeding tube, but I've been holding off as it seems so aggressive if he's eating even a little, but it's getting pretty dire.

I did find a local acupuncturist. Is this someone you can go to independent of a holistic vet, i.e. the acupuncturist can determine what is needed?

Does anyone have thoughts on a feeding tube? It would help me make sure he is getting enough food, but the food would be all canned as I can't imagine you can get raw food through the tube. It also doesn't solve the root problem.

What have others done when resources for holistic care aren't locally available? Do you try to piece together a treatment on your own? I can take him a few hours away for care assuming the one vet would take him, but Charlie gets extremely stressed on trips to the vet and often gets sick for a day or two after. I'm thinking several hours in a car might push him over the edge. I'm trying to balance quality of life and getting him the care he needs.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Most importantly - find a holistic vet. I know you said you could not. This may help. If you did not already, go to holisticactions.com/select and go to EVERY website for acupuncture, general holistic and even chiropractic?
Where do you live?
If you do not find anything, homeopathic vets can work can work with you remotely as you will be doing with Dr. Jeff next week.

I agree that hours in the car could really stress him, so remote help may be your best bet.

It is possible a human acupuncturist could help and for many conditions I would say go for it, but with even a short car ride stressor and more serious illness, I think the remote homeopath, Dr. Jeff, would be better.

Before doing a feeding tube, revisit every food he likes. Keep on the raw goats milk if her will (almost a total nutrition). Do not worry if something is good for pancreas. Do not worry about balancing diet. Right now feed anything. Anitra Frazier's book would be a great help to you right now and listen to her webinar. Make high calcium chicken broth from her recipe - she says it has helped so many cats.

Dr. Christina

For you - work on all the ways we talk in the webinars on keeping a positive frame of mind and focus on every little thing that brings him joy.
Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Rochelle-

I'm sorry to hear about your continuing challenge with getting Charlie to eat.
Does anyone have thoughts on a feeding tube? It would help me make sure he is getting enough food, but the food would be all canned as I can't imagine you can get raw food through the tube. It also doesn't solve the root problem.
Feeding tubes are a useful conventional answer to getting calories into him. But you are correct that they do not address the underlying problem.

As Dr. Christina replied, please do not worry what food he is currently eating. That's amazing that he'll eat the raw rabbit! Perhaps also try the rabbit (or other flavor) Wyong Dream Treats:

When my own kitty stopped eating (he did not have a bite to eat for a week) from chronic pancreatitis many years ago, it was super smelly fishes like lox (cured salmon) that got him started again.

Have you tried Hills a/d or baby food spread on his gums? Just getting a taste like this can get his juices going.
What have others done when resources for holistic care aren't locally available?
That's why HA! is here to support everyone no matter where they are in the world.

Are you around today for a quick call?

RochelleB

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Christina thanks for the suggestions. I will keep looking and will scour holistactions site too. I live outside Greenville, SC.

I've read Anitra's book - it was fabulous. Worth revisiting and I'll listen to the webinar (if I haven't already :)). I have to admit, I have read and researched so much that going back to the best sources would be good. I'm so glad to hear you say don't worry about what is good for the pancreas. I had some luck with A/D but because of the fat content I've been trying so hard to get him to eat anything else. I'll also look at making the broth.

@Dr. Jeff - CHarlie has been getting A/D and baby food for a couple weeks now, but just recently tried to move away from A/D as I mention above. I will go back to that. He will lick some off my finger.

I am absolutely around for a call today and that would be AMAZING!

Thanks all so very much.

RochelleB

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Christina thanks for the suggestions. I will keep looking and will scour holistactions site too. I live outside Greenville, SC.

I've read Anitra's book - it was fabulous. Worth revisiting and I'll listen to the webinar (if I haven't already :)). I have to admit, I have read and researched so much that going back to the best sources would be good. I'm so glad to hear you say don't worry about what is good for the pancreas. I had some luck with A/D but because of the fat content I've been trying so hard to get him to eat anything else. I'll also look at making the broth.

@Dr. Jeff - CHarlie has been getting A/D and baby food for a couple weeks now, but just recently tried to move away from A/D as I mention above. I will go back to that. He will lick some off my finger.

I am absolutely around for a call today and that would be AMAZING!

Thanks all so very much.

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Find Holistic Vets

drpitcairn.com (homeopathy)

theavh.org (homeopathic professional association)

ahvma.org (holistic medical association)

vbma.org/ (veterinary botanical professional association)

RochelleB

Community Member
Registered
Thank you for all the resources. Very helpful. Believe it or not the only vet listed in my area on these lists retired this past summer. I think I may be restricted to phone consults which I know must be very challenging for veterinarians. I'm so glad Dr. Jeff has agreed to speak with me. My gosh if a holistic veterinarian were inclined to move to Greenville, it's an open market!

@Dr. Christina I've reread portions of Anitra's book again and am making the chicken broth. I will listen to the webinar this evening. I also plan to really sit down and comb through that book again. Seems like there is so much good information in it. Knowing it's a well thought of book helps, as I've read numerous books in the last few months on animal care.

I did get Charlie to eat some rotisserie chicken this afternoon. He seems interested, eats a little, then it's as if it makes him sick so he walks away and won't eat anymore. I will take it though. Lots of little snacks, but I just hope I'm getting enough in him.

Any thoughts from anyone on how much I need to get him to eat to keep him off a feeding tube? I think if he ended up with hepatic lipidosis on top of everything else, he'd be in really big trouble.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom