• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Premix for raw food for cats

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Hello @Dr. Jean Hofve, @Dr. jeff and @Dr. Christina,

We have a five-month-old kitten and she's been on raw but mostly on rabbit/pork and sometimes chicken...(she turned away from beef, venison, turkey, and bison) and we buy these as meat blends with 80% meat 10% organs and 10% bones. We have tried putting her on SmallBatch and VivaRaw raw blends with veggies but she did not like them much. We are considering venturing into making homemade raw blends with different proteins (i.e., beef, turkey...etc.) at home and with premix powder to make the meals more balanced.

Do you have any recommendations on premix? I found this one and am curious to know your thoughts: My Natural Cat Plus Chicken Liver - Feline Instincts

Here's a link to its brochure: https://felineinstincts.com/wp-cont...Cat-Brochure-with-CLP-and-calcium-lactate.pdf and a tutorial video:

Any other recommendations on premix powder would be super helpful. Thank you for your time.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
This is a good supplement and will work. Not crazy about some of the inaccurate claims they make on their website but the product is fine and one of the ONLY truly complete supplements for meat. BalanceIt is also good. Haven't found anything else I really trust.

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
This is a good supplement and will work. Not crazy about some of the inaccurate claims they make on their website but the product is fine and one of the ONLY truly complete supplements for meat. BalanceIt is also good. Haven't found anything else I really trust.
Thank you so much, Dr. Jean! The recipe calls for salmon oil. I have Moxxors on hand, how much of it would you suggest I add to the mix? Thank you again!

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Thank you so much, Dr. Jean! The recipe calls for salmon oil. I have Moxxors on hand, how much of it would you suggest I add to the mix? Thank you again!
It depends on how many days’ worth of food you are making at once… I generally recommend 1/2 to 1 capsule per cat per day. It’s much more bioavailabie than other Omega 3 oils so it doesn’t take much.

Last edited:

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
It depends on how many days’ worth of food you are making at once… I generally recommend 1/2 to 1 capsule per cat per day. It’s much more bioavailabie than other Omega 3 oils so it doesn’t take much.
Hi Dr. Jean - Here's the instructions I found - I found it odd that, for 2 pounds of raw meat, only 2 salmon oil capsules (2000 mg) is called for. What are your thoughts? Thank you so much.

Shake premix well. Mix the following ingredients in a large bowl and stir well as you add each item.
-Add 1 + 1/2 (337ml) cups filtered water
-Use 2/3 cup (70gr) My Natural Cat premix
-Add 2 Salmon Oil Capsules (2000 mg) or 1 stroke of the salmon oil pump.
-Add 2 pounds of raw meat (900grams)
-Stir completely.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom