• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Piper the Great Dane

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
Yesterday I noticed a small amount of blood in the water bowl in my kitchen that four dogs share. I looked closer and found this on Pipers gum above her front teeth. She is a 9 1/2 year old Dane that lost her eyes as a puppy from congenital glaucoma and over the last few years has suffered from Pemphigus but is doing well otherwise. She has been a client of Dr Jeff’s all her life and I will be making an appt with him but wanted to post here first. She is eating her raw diet well and acting normal. I was shocked when I saw this. Thank you for any ideas.

IMG_1109.jpeg

IMG_1108.jpeg

IMG_0855.jpeg

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Piper enjoying the water - how lovely. she has thrived with your help.
Since you are working with Dr. Jeff, it is not as important to know what the mass is. Most important is that her quality of life is still great.

Now is your time to focus on all the webinars on happiness, your state of mind, not worrying, continuing to keep discovering what gives Piper the most fun.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Judy!

Great pics!

The gum pics look like an area of abraded gingival hyperplasia (swollen gums) or an epulis-type mass as Dr. Christina indicated.

It may have been there awhile, but just got abraded by whatever she was gnawing on.

If it's not bothering her, perhaps just take a look at it and monitor over the next few weeks (pics every few days or once/wk. will help).

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
Since you are working with Dr. Jeff, it is not as important to know what the mass is. Most important is that her quality of life is still great.

Now is your time to focus on all the webinars on happiness, your state of mind, not worrying, continuing to keep discovering what gives Piper the most fun.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Christina
Thank you.
Hey Judy!

Great pics!

The gum pics look like an area of abraded gingival hyperplasia (swollen gums) or an epulis-type mass as Dr. Christina indicated.

It may have been there awhile, but just got abraded by whatever she was gnawing on.

If it's not bothering her, perhaps just take a look at it and monitor over the next few weeks (pics every few days or once/wk. will help).
Thanks

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
This is almost one week later. It is draining blood out of the bottom. Same size. She is still acting normal and eating well. Have appt w Dr Jeff on Monday. Thanks

IMG_1183.jpeg

IMG_1182.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, it looks like it is changing and still ulcerating.

Would it be possible to get her in to Dr. Robb today or tomorrow?

I'd also suggest that we have a full virtual recheck after you get to see a local vet Monday would be for an HMDM call when I am not in the office.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great!

There are still a few times on Friday 7/5 when we can recheck, go over Dr. Robb's findings and review the bloodwork.

Please ask the office to send over the exam notes in addition to the test results.

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
Great!

There are still a few times on Friday 7/5 when we can recheck, go over Dr. Robb's findings and review the bloodwork.

Please ask the office to send over the exam notes in addition to the test results.
Will do

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
Great!

So Dr Robb said melanoma and doesn’t look good. He is sending you his findings. I’m sad for her .

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
He did not but said he could remove surgically w laser and will send an estimate but said he feels we are at the end of the line with Piper. I didn’t realize it was already behind her teeth and he is afraid it is aggresively growing. He said he would take an xray under sedation to see if it had gotten into bone?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Is she eating normally? Pawing at her mouth?

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
She is eating normally but after she eats she rubs her face on rug in the hall. Then she goes and drinks some water.

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
I’m trying to get a picture which is hard by myself but behind her teeth the tumor/mass is the same size . She is still eating well

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I look forward to speaking with you later during our HMDM call, Judy.

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
I started the Hekla on Saturday and bleeding is less. I’m thinking that’s a positive result. I wanted to see if it helped before starting Yunna Baiyao. Still acting fine.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes! Perhaps just keep dosing with the Hekla for now.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom