• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Need strategies for bilious vomiting

LilF

Community Member
Registered
What are people doing for bilious vomiting. I am concerned about the long term damage to Gabby's stomach and esophagus. I am confused because for people with GERD issues they suggest not eating after 4PM but with dogs I am reading they should eat a small meal before bed. WHY? the food leaves the stomach in a few hours doesn't it so how does that help to feed at night? I have read that eating near bed also makes the sphincter weaker or looser. When does the GI system "rest" if she is eating too often. The body detoxes at night and did not want the body processing food instead of detoxing. Gabby seems ok during the day without eating for many hours. Why is THAT but after a night of sleeping she is more prone to it in the morning.
Isn't there some stomach protectant that is natural I can give her. Do not want to use Prilosec or Reglan. My "integrative vet" who does acupunture doesn't want to "stress herself" doing medical things for her dog patients. Not many choices out here anymore for integrative medical management. The acupuncturist told me to give Gabby a cracker before bed...this doesn't seem like it would resolve the symptom. I am frustrated and try to feed her in the morning before she pukes lately. Once the bile is in the stomach does feeding help or will she just throw up the food too?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Lil-

In 35+ years, I have not seen a dog get long-term damage from bilious vomiting syndrome.

This syndrome (which just means a group of symptoms) is common, and is actually considered to be "normal" by many. However, this symptom is common, but it is not normal.

It is one of the early warning signs (EWS) of internal imbalance.

As you'll see in the article, that just means that there is a mild energetic and physical imbalance which is a clue to Gabby's internal health.

Physiologically, the cause of this symptom is bile release into the stomach and the early am release of a stomach hormone call ghrelin (it's the one that causes the grrr sound you may hear when hungry).

A totally empty stomach is often associated with this syndrome, which is why feeding before bed, or early in the am, seems to work.

However, feeding before bed to stop this symptom is palliative (the band-aid syndrome) and does not address the underlying imbalance.

You're absolutely right that frequent feeding doesn't allow digestive functions to rest, and can lower the cellular energy needed to maintain normal function and balance.

However, since symptoms are usually seen as the enemy, and not friends that are clues to internal health, covering up symptoms is the norm.

Vitalize Alimend is an awe-some protectant for the stomach and may help reduce this, or any vomiting, symptom.

Organic aloe vera juice is another wonderful choice to soothe the stomach and has the added benefit of being an immune stimulant.

Treating the underlying imbalance using homeopathy, based on all of her symptoms, is the best (IMHO) way to help Gabby heal deeply.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Hi Lil-

In 35+ years, I have not seen a dog get long-term damage from bilious vomiting syndrome.

This syndrome (which just means a group of symptoms) is common, and is actually considered to be "normal" by many. However, this symptom is common, but it is not normal.

It is one of the early warning signs (EWS) of internal imbalance.

As you'll see in the article, that just means that there is a mild energetic and physical imbalance which is a clue to Gabby's internal health.

Physiologically, the cause of this symptom is bile release into the stomach and the early am release of a stomach hormone call ghrelin (it's the one that causes the grrr sound you may hear when hungry).

A totally empty stomach is often associated with this syndrome, which is why feeding before bed, or early in the am, seems to work.

However, feeding before bed to stop this symptom is palliative (the band-aid syndrome) and does not address the underlying imbalance.

You're absolutely right that frequent feeding doesn't allow digestive functions to rest, and can lower the cellular energy needed to maintain normal function and balance.

However, since symptoms are usually seen as the enemy, and not friends that are clues to internal health, covering up symptoms is the norm.

Vitalize Alimend is an awe-some protectant for the stomach and may help reduce this, or any vomiting, symptom.

Organic aloe vera juice is another wonderful choice to soothe the stomach and has the added benefit of being an immune stimulant.

Treating the underlying imbalance using homeopathy, based on all of her symptoms, is the best (IMHO) way to help Gabby heal deeply.
Dr Jeff, thanks for reminding me about the cogent solutions product. I did order yesterday. Back in 2014 I used it on a dog who was always vomiting a few hours after eating. I used this product when it was Alicaid. I also used nux vomica but it took a while. Well for the past several years, along with diet he is symptom free, balanced I guess I am learning. So I had completely forgotten about this product so maybe it will help Gabby too. Thank you ! Gabby seems to be vomiting every morning now. I did also start her on Seacure.
Been feeding her the rest of her dinner at about 10PM but does not seem to be working. The hard part is that I have to coordinate with her thyroid pill regimen supposed to be on empty stomach which is now more difficult. Last night I gave the thyroid an hour after the small meal and she regurgitated a little bit. There is a food sensitivity test I want to give her (Nutriscan) and also do some bloodwork but how can I fast her for those tests when she just pukes without food in her stomach? I know that mastic gum helps people with helico bacter and reflux... would that help and is it safe for dogs? Again, I started to try and give her the nux vomica and Gastruccomeel mixture twice a day but probably need more guidance. Thank you for the articles and info. "Information calms me!"

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Lil and wonderful that you are calmed by information. That's awe-some (and you're in the right place for lots of cool info)!

Ask Ariel has some other products that be useful (and one does contain mastic gum):

Yes, you may want to get further 1:1 guidance.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom