• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Longevity - Oldest dog at 31 years

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Taken from a DVM 360 report.

Notice that a lot of what we suggest may have been in Bobi's life. Roamed a lot in the forest and had a home to snuggle up in when he wanted to. Local meats and fish were served at the party to Bobi, so I'm guessing he ate that way his whole life.

Guinness World Records' oldest dog Bobi, a purebred Rafeiro do Alentejo, celebrated his 31st birthday at home in the Portuguese village of Conqueiros, where he has lived for his entire life.1 Costa, Bobi’s owner, threw him a traditional Portuguese party with over 100 attendees.

During the ceremony, local meats and fish were served to attendees and Bobi. Then, a dance troupe came to perform, including a routine featuring Bobi. According to Costa, his owner, Bobi is one of several old-age dogs he has owned, including Bobbi’s mother who lived to be age 18. For Costa, who is only 7 years older than Bobi, his dog serves as a living reminder of the past.

“Bobi is special because looking at him is like remembering the people who were part of our family and unfortunately are no longer here, like my father, my brother, or my grandparents who have already left this world,” Costa said.1 “Bobi represents those generations.”

Bobi has roamed the surrounding forest near his house for his entire life but recently, due to his old age, Bobi stays closer to home in his own yard. His eyesight has begun to worsen and he sleeps a lot, especially after a meal.

Bobi’s birthday was officially confirmed by the Veterinary Medical Service of the Municipality of Leiria in 1992 and verified by Sindicato Nacional dos Médicos Veterinários (National Union of Veterinarians). He was then recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records in February 2023.2

Reference

1. World’s oldest dog celebrates 31st birthday. Associated Press. Published May 15, 2023. Accessed May 19, 2023. World's oldest dog celebrates 31st birthday
  2. Atwal S. Oldest dog EVER record broken by 30-year-old Bobi from Portugal. Guinness World Records. Published February 2, 2023. Accessed May 19, 2023. Oldest dog EVER record broken by 30-year-old Bobi from Portugal

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Yeah, I liked this, too: good nutrition, he said, and love and activity. I seek these qualities in our lives.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom