• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Heartworm Positive Pup

ElisabethM

Registered
Hello, I rescued a young hound in the Spring from a swamp in a rural area of the south where I was camping. He is a miracle and the h*ll he went through not describable.
Info:
Name: Brave aka Bravie
Male unneutered [no surgery until hw-]
Mix - Pointer / hound / treewalker / blue tick
Needs to gain more weight, currently around 60lbs, ideal / goal is high 60's
Behavior: happy, gentle, sweet, loving, caring; he is attentive, immediate to learning and learned sit and down in less than a minute
Energy: Spritely; zoomies - he's VERY fast.
Appetite: AWESOME!
Mood: Happy, bored, loving, affectionate, friendly, playful, he adjusts to his environment
Nutrition: He consumes human grade food except for one brand of wet food sometimes, The Honest Kitchen mixes- fish, chicken, turkey whichever is on sale, sometimes grain free sometimes not, beef and oat clusters- this caused diarrhea as a meal and use as treat which does not, OC raw turkey hearts, canned chicken drained, soft carrots, dried banana, some greens, cooked chicken or turkey, a scoop of pumpkin here and there, organic blueberries, sardines in water no salt, raw or hard boiled egg, goat milk, kefir, yogurt, cottage cheese - I limit dairy to treat and topper to put on weight, Tender and True canned organic chicken liver pate or turkey and brown rice. I think that's it. He will also have an Andy&Audy dental chew.
Vaccination history/exposure to toxins, other medication: He had no microchip when found and was [is] heartworm positive. I did some titers which showed no vaccination history; hence the reason for this thread. The hw is being treated on the slow kill method as that is what was recommended by vets [conventional] where he was found and whom had treated hw often; they said they'd seen problems with the shots with some breeds. Bravie was underweight - nearly emaciated when found, missing chunks of hair, had an alligator bite and has numerous scars. He did NOT have fleas and vets and I surmised his skin / body gave off something that repelled them as some dogs do; a likely adaptation to his situation. He was living under a palm tree with snakes around, and insects hovered over him it was ;
awful
In terms of toxins / other medications - he was on doxycycline for one month June 2023; and now gets milbemycin oxime once a month. The microfilariae checks have been negative and snap test for hw positive. The last snap was done in early Dec and last microfilariae in the summer; need to redo. He had a round of the regular dewormers in April when found.
I have organic black walnut extract I got for him but haven't used as I want to work with a holistic vet but can't find one that is taking patients where we live.
The primary problem or question is him clearing the heartworm, he is asymptomatic and there is no cough, heart and lungs thankfully. I asked for a vaccine waiver from our vet until he is hw negative, we are in a state that accepts them, and she has never treated heartworm [this is new vet at home up north] and was unsure. Should we wait on vaccines etc? I have done some study on this and have my thoughts and need info, support, guidance from those in the holistic veterinary field. I know Dr Lankenau cleared a dog with hw using a holistic approach and published that case. CASE REPORT — USING HERBS TO TREAT HEARTWORM IN A DOG | IVC Journal. We called her and she was not taking new patients.

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome Elisabeth and thanks so much for saving, caring for, and loving Bravie!
Should we wait on vaccines etc?
IMHO, yes. His immune system needs to be fully functional to kill the worms. Vaccination may worsen his ability to heal.

For now perhaps focus on the vitality and balance strengthening actions in the HA! 101 course. If you haven't taken the course yet, that's a great place to start.

The goal is to focus on strengthening his vital force using the Terrain Optimizing Protocol.

Perhaps also support him herbally with a product like:

In addition to as much fresh food and heart, happiness, snuffle mat, time outside (no vigorous play for now), etc.

Now would also be a great time to read the HA! resources about HW and parasites, and perhaps look at Dr. Falconers e-book on HW and to find a virtual vet homeopath.

For more info:

ElisabethM

Registered
Welcome Elisabeth and thanks so much for saving, caring for, and loving Bravie!

IMHO, yes. His immune system needs to be fully functional to kill the worms. Vaccination may worsen his ability to heal.

For now perhaps focus on the vitality and balance strengthening actions in the HA! 101 course. If you haven't taken the course yet, that's a great place to start.

The goal is to focus on strengthening his vital force using the Terrain Optimizing Protocol.

Perhaps also support him herbally with a product like:

In addition to as much fresh food and heart, happiness, snuffle mat, time outside (no vigorous play for now), etc.

Now would also be a great time to read the HA! resources about HW and parasites, and perhaps look at Dr. Falconers e-book on HW and to find a virtual vet homeopath.

For more info:

Great, thank you Dr Jeff.. **

Bravie saved himself and I try my best to follow his lead! He is the source of his own strength .

Ok will jump into the HA! course

Yes have read Dr Falconers site and info, thank you for pointing to that

We are in VT and can get to NH/MA/CT, do you know anyone that can take him on as a patient to assist us in using herbs for the hw?

I have seen the HWF product and read reviews, some saying it helped others saying no and have been on the fence. . . the licorice is something I had a bad experience with myself- I was drinking licorice tea daily and it drained potassium- terrifying experience. Any other supportive things you have seen or can suggest?

Will do the readings you listed on HA

Grateful, Elisabeth

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Elisabeth!
do you know anyone that can take him on as a patient to assist us in using herbs for the hw?
Maybe try Dr. Judy Herman in ME:

ElisabethM

Registered
Great, thank you Dr Jeff.. **

Bravie saved himself and I try my best to follow his lead! He is the source of his own strength .

Ok will jump into the HA! course

Yes have read Dr Falconers site and info, thank you for pointing to that

We are in VT and can get to NH/MA/CT, do you know anyone that can take him on as a patient to assist us in using herbs for the hw?

I have seen the HWF product and read reviews, some saying it helped others saying no and have been on the fence. . . the licorice is something I had a bad experience with myself- I was drinking licorice tea daily and it drained potassium- terrifying experience. Any other supportive things you have seen or can suggest?

Will do the readings you listed on HA

Grateful, Elisabeth
I forgot to ask, I was late in giving the milbemycin oxime one month by about three weeks . . . ! I am nervous about this; I have read it takes the microfilariae four to six months to mature, then that there is an additional tweo weeks of leeway when late with preventives ... confusing . . . I am thinking I will give this next month a week early
I am in line with Falconer in terms of hw approaches; and hope hope hope to find a holistic vet and soon
Bravie was in southern Fl in the hottest wettest climate; I noticed other strays there and hope to return to get them; they all looked like him, in this small town, running for their lives [despair face]
[[Can we cull the humans that do this / contribute to this that is fine with me; remove the behaviour from the gene pool]]

ElisabethM

Registered
I forgot to ask, I was late in giving the milbemycin oxime one month by about three weeks . . . ! I am nervous about this; I have read it takes the microfilariae four to six months to mature, then that there is an additional tweo weeks of leeway when late with preventives ... confusing . . . I am thinking I will give this next month a week early
I am in line with Falconer in terms of hw approaches; and hope hope hope to find a holistic vet and soon
Bravie was in southern Fl in the hottest wettest climate; I noticed other strays there and hope to return to get them; they all looked like him, in this small town, running for their lives [despair face]
[[Can we cull the humans that do this / contribute to this that is fine with me; remove the behaviour from the gene pool]]

Also, the store is out of turkey hearts and will get lamb or beef; are any of these better than the others . . . ? I know they are each uniquely beneficial; just learning of any knowledge out there

ElisabethM

Registered

I realized Falconer never used herbs to treat hw, he used homeopathic remedies. . . .

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
are any of these better than the others
Great question Elisabeth!

Yes and no would be my reply to whether all the freeze-dried hearts are better than another.

As sources of cellular energy, the different meats should be very similar.

However, the sources are not all equally compassionate regarding care of their animals.

It's best if you stay away from any factory farmed animal.

ElisabethM

Registered
Great question Elisabeth!

Yes and no would be my reply to whether all the freeze-dried hearts are better than another.

As sources of cellular energy, the different meats should be very similar.

However, the sources are not all equally compassionate regarding care of their animals.

It's best if you stay away from any factory farmed animal.
Yes definitely
But I don't see that delineated on any of the products, from OC Raw or others
These are freeze fried hearts, not fresh. I would do fresh but am constantly traveling and no access to cooking often. I could give raw I suppose, he doesn't eat kibble and a raw heart once day may be fine; but hard to find just one raw heart; I don't have a way to keep things frozen...
He needs a sanctuary or other rescuer, but hard to find; I travel constantly and we are in the car 99 percent of the time. I reached out to formal rescues but did not hear back; frustratingly. I have done five or six on the ground rescues and always hand off to an established rescue; he is still with me for this reason.

Last edited:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom