• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Is aconite the same as aconitum

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I am picking up my new dog tomorrow and was considering aconite. I went to the store and all they had was Aconitum. Is this the same thing? Can it be used for stress. Recall she is "shut down." I also was going to use other things in addition, rescue remedy, adaptil and maybe use aconite when we get home.... Everytime I listen to it mentioned here on this forum you say aconite. I have never been able to find aconite. Sorry for my ignorance but don't want to use the wrong thing.....

aruna

Cat mom
Administrator
All-Access Member
@LilF it looks like aconitum is just the latin name for aconite (Aconitum napellus) - I say it's the same. But I'm no doctor, so you can wait for one of them to chime in ;)

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
yes, Aconite is the same as Aconitum. Always, before giving a remedy, see if it is needed. She may perk up when she sees you and not act nervous, anxious or fearful. Then aconite is not needed. If she does, then definitely give it. I would use rescue remedy for sure as it can help with car issues as well.

You must be so excited to have her coming to you. She is a lucky pup.
Dr. Christina

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@LilF it looks like aconitum is just the latin name for aconite (Aconitum napellus) - I say it's the same. But I'm no doctor, so you can wait for one of them to chime in ;)
Thanks Aruna. I did purchase it and may need it tomorrow.... Thank you again

LilF

Community Member
Registered
yes, Aconite is the same as Aconitum. Always, before giving a remedy, see if it is needed. She may perk up when she sees you and not act nervous, anxious or fearful. Then aconite is not needed. If she does, then definitely give it. I would use rescue remedy for sure as it can help with car issues as well.

You must be so excited to have her coming to you. She is a lucky pup.
Dr. Christina
@Dr. Christina UNBELIEVABLE day yesterday.... It went FABULOUS.... Short story.... This dog has been shut down for a month. The transport said she was trembling the whole way (4 hrs connect point then the dog drove with me another 4 loose in the back seat.). So she gets out of the van and tail between legs.She looks at me twice like "so you're my mom now?" After the handler walked her around a bit he handed the leash to me. She walked around. I put her in my car. She stopped trembling. She kept nudging my arm resting on the center console for some under the chin petting. (The handler said it may take a year to get her to come out of her fear). I thought I would have trouble collaring her----no problem. She gets home, explores the yard, the house and she just "read my heart" from the first glance. I talked to her even before I got her. When I thought she was euthed I put flowers in my graveyard. I kept telling her to hold on in the shelter. She "blossomed" beyond my wildest imagination. On the way home I used rescue remedy---did not work that well. I then used Adaptil--worked better as she was trying to get in the front seat.. I also used Through a Dogs Ear CD (I did not have time to get Lisa Specter). What worked best was Whole Tones recording for pets.

She has been on Trazadone but don't want to give her anymore. I hope it can be discontinued without weaning. I don't think she needs it. I wanted to know what else I could use. Dr. Christina, we talked about the Jackson Galaxy Rehoming which I do not have at home (I have the Trauma remedy right now) and whether I should use 4 drops of the Jackson remedy on food or not? Maybe I can go back to the rescue remedy for home. I need to put her on serious detox which will be another post. One last thing... I followed my gut on getting this dog in spite of people warning me (not people here), but I saw glimmers in her behavior report and felt she was just scared and love would open her up. She has a memorable gotcha day story....

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom