• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

How to Help Hip dysplasia in a Young Dog

AmelieH

Community Member
Registered
Hello @Dr. Jeff! My dog Bonny is 2.5 years old (female), a flat coated retriever (66 lbs, not sterilized, vaccinated as puppy). She has never wanted to go for long walks and doesn't have much energy. Sometimes she even refuses to go for a walk completely. Recently a new vet said he thinks my dog may have hip dysplasia. 😢
Now I have two questions: Should I have my dog x-rayed?
What can I do to make her feel better?
Thank you!
Amelie

Welcome to Holistic Actions, Amelie.

I would recommend an X-ray just to see what the base line currently is. Do NOT let your conventional veterinarian do more tests unless you really think them necessary, or check back here.

Take the 101 course to understand the value of symptoms like BEAM and these early clues (good for you to pursue them already). You will learn that they are all clues of an underlying energetic pattern imbalance, not merely a "hip problem". You will learn about feeding a fresh diet, avoiding toxins, learning energetic healing yourself (like acupressure for pain or flower essences for energy levels, etc), and the importance, right now, to begin working with a homeopathic or chinese medicine or chiropractic veterinarian (read the article on Finding and Working with a Holistic Veterinarian).

And download the Healthy dog Journal, too.

that's a great place to start!

Dr. Christina

Hi Amelie!

I'm sorry to hear that Bonny is sometimes refusing to walk. Being outside, playing, going for walks and hikes are typically a flat coated retriever's favorite things.

Should I have my dog x-rayed?
Yes. The diagnosis of hip dysplasia can not be made definitively without them.

Since she has been low energy and not wanting longer walks for most of her life, I wonder if any vet has done blood, stool or urine tests?

This information would be great to have in order to to rule out any metabolic conditions.

Most pet insurance plans will cover most of the cost for this kind of testing. If you don't already have a policy, you may want to look into pet insurance companies.

Dr. Kruse is a pet insurance expert and his webinar for HA! about insurance is in your member area and may be a helpful one for you to review. Here's the web site he recommended for investigating insurance:

What can I do to make her feel better?

Great question! There's lots of things. As Dr. Christina mentioned, start with the HA! 101 course.

If Bonny is not already eating a fresh food diet, it's time to start introducing some fresh foods. Many of the foods in your refrigerator would work.

Fresh (ideally raw) meats, fruits, veggies.

Also, identify and start to focus on doing more of the things that make Bonny the happiest. This will help her body operate optimally:

Also, this general joint supplement may help:

Lastly, it would be a great time to add a vet homeopath to Bonny's vet care team. Dr. Judy Herman is wonderful and has lots of experience with flat coated retrievers:

Hi Dr. Jeff and Dr. Christina!

Thank you very much, I will have Bonny x-rayed. The vet said he probably didn't need to anesthetize.

Blood tests or stool tests have never been done. Should this be done?

So far, Bonny gets canned meat and fresh vegetables and fruit as snacks.

I don't know much about raw feeding. But then I would buy ready-made food frozen. Is that okay? Or should it be completely fresh.

I also considered enrolling Bonny in physical therapy. Is this recommended?

We live in Germany.

My current vet is not homeopathic, but he is open-minded and he has a good relationship with Bonny.

Thank you,
Amelie

ready-made food frozen. Is that okay?
Yes, that's great!
Is this recommended?
Physical therapy, and especially core strengthening work, would also be wonderful for Bonny.

There are several forum discussions and Holistic Actions! webinars about PT and how to help dysplasia and other mobility challenges. You can find them by searching both the forum and within your member area.

Back
Top Bottom