• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Help For My Cat Who Has a Diagnosis of Feline Interstitial Cystitis (aka FUS and FLUTD)

PaulineW

VIP Member
Registered
Good morning, I'm new to HA and I am hoping to find some assistance for my five-year-old cat. He was diagnosed about a year-and-a-half ago with FIC.
My first concern is that based on some of the readings I've done, he doesn't have most of the symptoms affiliated with FIC.
After the numerous urinating and defeating on beds and furniture , I added litter boxes, used unscented litter, etc. I then took him to the vet and found out that he was dehydrated and constipated. We right away changed to an all wet canned diet and added water to his food. He was prescribed wet can food C/D Hills prescription diet. Urine tests were done, no blood, no crystals. I believe our vet has said that he may have an inflamed lining of the bladder.
He was an indoor cat, and is now an outdoor cat to help with reducing accidents in the home. We are about to do a second round of laser therapy for him. The first round was maybe six months ago.
He no longer wants to eat the prescribed food.

His symptoms from the starts included twitching of the skin, looking bothered or upset , running away when he defecates. He does not seem to strain at all while urinating. At first he would not cover his urine when using outside. He now does it. He's always hungry. He catches squirrels and other Critters, and eats them. He just started again going in the house and I saw the writing on the wall based on this Behavior. He was staying inside the house when he could be playing outside. And he looks for me to sleep on me a whole bunch more when I guess he's not feeling well.

I wish to help him in other ways than medication and laser therapy. I am just unsure what I can do as I am unsure of the cause.

Thank you to anyone who may have some input.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome to HA! Pauline, and thanks for making your first post.

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty's interstitial cystitis. :(

You're right that his symptoms aren't classic for FIC. That's why the latest name is "Pandora Syndrome".

Great work to have switched to canned food with added water.

There are definitely ways to help his symptoms without drugs or laser.

Will he eat any fresh (real) food like chicken, any red meat, fish, etc?

The reason I ask is that the fresh food has a higher vitality and energy level, thereby giving his body the fuel it needs to heal.

There are many other energy raising strategies to help him that you will find on the forum, member area, and blog. We will gladly help you apply them so ask on any questions here, during a webinar, or on one of our free HMDM calls.

PaulineW

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you dr. Jeff for responding so quickly. I have been eyeballing raw diets for my cats, but got overwhelmed with what it may entail with adding supplements. I will definitely have to see what information resources and guidance ha provides. Is a fresh diet the same as a raw diet?

I cooked Rockfish last night and gave him some raw pieces he ate the first few but not all of them. My husband brought back fresh deer liver heart kidney. I offered that to him but he did not want it. I'm not surprised as usually he eats Critters, but leaves a lot of the organs.
I look forward to a phone call on December 14th. In the meantime I will do more research on your website and will definitely ask questions when needed.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're very welcome, Pauline. ?

Yes, providing a balanced raw diet can seem like a challenge. Fortunately, there is one very easy way to do this and that is by feeding a variety of foods. Balancing the diet becomes an issue when the same food is fed day in and out.

All the various meals become balanced over time. Just like with our diet.

All you need to do is use a raw diet balancing supplement like Feline Instincts, the Earth Animal raw diet supplement, etc.

You'll find lots more diet suggestions and other specifics in the Holistic Fun-damentals course, Sue Howell's Empower Hour! webinar, etc.

PaulineW

VIP Member
Registered
Good morning, I have tried feeding Yeti, my cat, raw foods. He is not greatly interested in them. But he definitely is with cooked Fresh Foods. I was hoping to transition him to a better canned food, and hopefully work up to raw food. I thought I read that I could add liquids to freeze dried food. Is that correct? Which freeze-dried food would you recommend in this case? I looked up Ziwi but it doesn't seem like it would work very well to add liquid to it as it's more like jerky.
I understand that once he is on a proper diet, he won't need the extra liquid. But in the meantime I feel that I need to continue in adding liquid to his diet. Or should I just use cornucopia canned food? Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic that Yeti will eat cooked fresh foods!:snowman:

Over time you will be able to cook them less and less. This will increase their vitality, energy and nutritional availability.

Yes, you can add water to the freeze-dried food. You can use any that are available locally and are meat-based from a reliable source like Wysong, Dr. Harvey's, Vital Essentials, etc.

Most kitties love the Wysong Dream Treats:

Yes, adding liquid to the diet, even if you use Cornucopia, is a great idea.

Answer's Goat's Milk is another great way to add liquid and nutrition.:catfood:

PaulineW

VIP Member
Registered
Would you recommend cornucopia canned food for my 16 yo male cat with kidney disease, hyperthyroidism (on meds)?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
For commercial processed food, Cornucopia's very good.

However, fresh food has more vitality and can speed healing.

PaulineW

VIP Member
Registered
Good afternoon,
Another lengthy post....
Well even after completing the laser treatment, Yeti is still peeing in the house (once on couch and today on the carpet behind chair). We were all in the living room having a bite. Yeti was with us, including the two dogs....showing no stress. He walked by the Xmas tree, and behind the chair I was sitting in. I thought he was coming to visit me, but no.... He peed in that corner, ran off and pooped in the kitchen.
We've seen him pee outside just fine....even covering it.
Changing his diet and making him healthier I know takes time, but this is worrisome and frustrating at the same time.
He did not seem anxious at all.... Isn't pandora syndrome based on anxiety?
What other changes can I make to give him better BEAM?
He has free access to the outside (kitty door), fed three times a day, diet is evolving as I am moving to a fresh diet, 4 litter boxes throughout the house (I have 2 cats, three floors), plenty of indoor space to hide and sleep peacefully, and we give him attention whenever he is around.
I am even more worried because in January we are renovating the main floor, and moving (next door) to my in-laws house. I was hoping this episode was over but I am afraid it is not.
Pauline

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom