• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Green Gook out of eye

LilF

Community Member
Registered
So I know I am in the right church (HA!) but maybe the wrong pew on this as far as folders goes... What is the green discharge from the eye. Has been going on for a few weeks. I have started to use the Pink Eye formula of Similasan (homeopathic)I always have good luck with it for myself and the dogs. But my JJ (14 year old Shar Pei mix) is still getting the discharge after a number of days using it. Is there another formula that works better for this? Does green discharge mean infection? Can I use colloidal silver, a drop or so in the eye? I think that would address infection and thought I recall it can be used. I do not go to drugs when something else can be tried. Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great questions Lil!

Physiologically, the green discharge is evidence of inflammation +/- bacteria/viruses. Your vet can check this to be sure, but most commonly this is a sign of "conjunctivitis" (inflammation of the conjunctiva).

So yes, because this is going on for awhile, a vet visit to rule out other causes of discharge (like KCS or dry eye) is warranted in the next few days.

Energetically tho, the eye discharge (or really any discharge) is a clue that his doing its' job.

Frequent (~4x a day) hot compresses held on the eye followed by a lubricating HA (hyaluronic) drop or other lubricating eye drop like Genteal or Systane is super supportive.

As with any other symptom, the first question tho is...

Yes, a colloidal silver eye drop could be helpful!IMAGE inflammation signs.jpg

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Ok Thank you Dr. Jeff. Will follow up on the compresses and I have also been more diligent putting the Similasin in his eye a few times a day today. It seemed like it did not collect so much. Thank you!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Great questions Lil!

Physiologically, the green discharge is evidence of inflammation +/- bacteria/viruses. Your vet can check this to be sure, but most commonly this is a sign of "conjunctivitis" (inflammation of the conjunctiva).

So yes, because this is going on for awhile, a vet visit to rule out other causes of discharge (like KCS or dry eye) is warranted in the next few days.

Energetically tho, the eye discharge (or really any discharge) is a clue that his doing its' job.

Frequent (~4x a day) hot compresses held on the eye followed by a lubricating HA (hyaluronic) drop or other lubricating eye drop like Genteal or Systane is super supportive.

As with any other symptom, the first question tho is...

Yes, a colloidal silver eye drop could be helpful!IMAGE inflammation signs.jpg
I have to revisit this post from a while ago... I did have JJ's eyes tested for dry eye with the schirmer test and it was normal. Yet the green sticky stuff in the eye continues.It looks like the eye has plenty of fluid, like it has too much. But I did read an article by Dr. Judy Morgan on this topic and like you, she recommends Genteal . So this is recommended for dry eye but JJ does not have dry eye. I don't know if the vet checked for conjunctivitis (how do you do that? he did not mention anything about that ). He did not think he had an infection (that was the opinion of two vets) So should I try the Genteal anyway? I have to wipe his eye many times a day. I do not know if he has discomfort. I know with dry eye there can be discomfort but the vet said he did not have it. I don't want to lubricate his eye if it looks like his eye is tearing already in addition to the green sticky mucous. Poor boy, he seems like he feels better when I remove the discharge from the lower lid and corner of his eyes. He is eating better than before and is also getting vitamin and mineral supplement from Dr. Dobias. The homeopath knows about all his issues but his eye is not clearing up.....He is 15 with many other issues (kidney, irregular heartbeat, higher liver values, cognition, spondylosis but he is holding his own and has actually improved on some parameters lately with interventions. Thank you

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great news Lil that JJ has sufficient tear production!

I don't know if the vet checked for conjunctivitis (how do you do that? he did not mention anything about that ). He did not think he had an infection (that was the opinion of two vets) So should I try the Genteal anyway?
Fantastic question about conjunctivitis! The "diagnosis" is actually just a description of what the vet sees (usually redness and swelling of the conjunctival tissues around the eye).

This actually applies to most diagnoses (that they are descriptions).

Yes, do the hot compresses followed by Genteal regardless of the Schirmer's tear test result. The rationale is that these two things (the heat and lubrication) help support healing by the eyes.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Good to know the" how" I think he will like the compresses. I purchased a product called Refresh gel today.... I read the ingredients on some of the others that I did not like, as in Polyethylene Glycol, sorbitol and others I cannot spell. I hope the Refresh is ok to use. The ingredients seemed more friendly to me. I just wish there was a homeopathic that would work but I have tried the Similasan brand and it did not seem to help long term. Hoping a new strategy will work.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I have to revisit this post from a while ago... I did have JJ's eyes tested for dry eye with the schirmer test and it was normal. Yet the green sticky stuff in the eye continues.It looks like the eye has plenty of fluid, like it has too much. But I did read an article by Dr. Judy Morgan on this topic and like you, she recommends Genteal . So this is recommended for dry eye but JJ does not have dry eye. I don't know if the vet checked for conjunctivitis (how do you do that? he did not mention anything about that ). He did not think he had an infection (that was the opinion of two vets) So should I try the Genteal anyway? I have to wipe his eye many times a day. I do not know if he has discomfort. I know with dry eye there can be discomfort but the vet said he did not have it. I don't want to lubricate his eye if it looks like his eye is tearing already in addition to the green sticky mucous. Poor boy, he seems like he feels better when I remove the discharge from the lower lid and corner of his eyes. He is eating better than before and is also getting vitamin and mineral supplement from Dr. Dobias. The homeopath knows about all his issues but his eye is not clearing up.....He is 15 with many other issues (kidney, irregular heartbeat, higher liver values, cognition, spondylosis but he is holding his own and has actually improved on some parameters lately with interventions. Thank you

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I was hoping to get an opinion on the following..... I would like to give JJ's eyes a good cleaning with some saline solution but where can I purchase saline without all the preservatives. I know you can make it but I would be fearful I would mess it up and hurt him :-(...... My contact lens solution is saline but I don't know if it can be used with a dog. I would rather use a drug store saline if one is available. One of my homeopaths suggested to make a black tea preparation to use for the compresses. I would like to do that but what if some drips on his face and he licks it with the caffeine in it?? I guess I think of everything that could go wrong.... He seems to feel so much better once his eyes are cleaned up which I do several times a day... Oh one more thing, I read in Dr. Pitcairn's book about using Pulsatilla for such discharges. I suggested it to the homeopath and she agreed and made him some . I have used it now for a week or two and no real difference. I know these things take time though. Thank you as this saga continues :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
My contact lens solution is saline but I don't know if it can be used with a dog. I would rather use a drug store saline if one is available.
Yes and yes. Your contact lens solution is fine to use for him. I also like Genteal and Systane but believe they have preservatives. You will probably find only single use (and more expensive) eye solutions that don't have preservatives.
black tea preparation to use for the compresses. I would like to do that but what if some drips on his face and he licks it with the caffeine in it??
That's OK.

I know these things take time though.
Yes, tincture of time/patience and perseverance are important parts of natural healing. Regarding the Puls, BEAM often improves before physical symptoms so it can be a good gauge of response.

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
@LilF - Hey Lil, sorry to hear about your dog's eyes! I'm always very sad to hear that anybody, animal or human, has eye issues, cuz I have some pretty messed up eyes (corneal dystrophy + blepharitis). I'm wondering if, since you're wiping JJs eyes anyway, I wonder if hypochlorous acid (HCIO) would help at all. HCIO is produced by our white blood cells and is apparently non-toxic. It's anti-microbial and I find it very soothing when my eyes are bothering me for any reason (and it doesn't sting whatsoever, which I'm very sensitive to and avoid like the plague). Dr. Google says HCIO is safe for pets (and it appears to be in eye products for pets), but we can get @Dr. Jeff to chime in. I know you're taking care of JJ systemically, so for topical relief, I wonder if HCIO on a cotton pad would give JJ any relief. It helps clear away any bacteria that might be lining the eyelids, which can cause inflammation of the eyelid (ie, blepharitis).

For my eyes, I use a brand called Avenova (it's saline + HCIO 0.01%, nothing else, and I buy it through Amazon because it ships directly from the manufacturer, NovaBay Pharmaceuticals--double check the shipper if you go that route). Avenova's directions are to use twice daily for 2 weeks, then once daily for maintenance. Again, this is to treat human blepharitis and dry eye, and I know that JJ does NOT have dry eyes, but I wonder if the anti-microbial properties of the HCIO would help at all.

I also use warm compresses on occasion (careful that they're not too hot, which I know is subjective. It just has to be warm enough to help the natural oils flow better and produce better tears. It's been explained to me like this: because the tiny oil glands that line the eye--Meibomian glands--can get clogged, a warm compress melts the clogged oil and gets them flowing again, much like warming a stick of butter). For me, Avenova helped more than warm compresses (and is easier to do, thus better compliance with the Avenova).

From the looks of it, there are pet products for the eyes with HCIO in them, but they have a lot of other stuff in them. Just found this on an online vet Q&A thing about HCIO: "Hydrochlorous acid eyewash has antimircobial properties and is similar to saline in pH. It is safe to use on dogs." Again, let's see what Dr. Jeff says (or any professional, since I obvi am not an expert, just someone with crappy eyes who loves this product and doesn't endorse things lightly, especially with my very sensitive eyes. And, no, I don't get a dime from the company.). :D

Good luck with JJ!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing your great reply Danielle.

I too have chronic blepharitis and find the negative ion therapy from an ionbox to be super soothing (and healing).

If you buy one from the company, you can find a 10% discount on the Trusted Brands page after you log in.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I have an ionbox, so that may help JJ's eyes??? Who knew!! I have used the compresses on JJ's eyes and he seems to like it. Seems to pull out the yuck and keep his eyes clearer for a while longer. Also loosens the hardened stuff on his lashes. I would like to try the Avenova too. I do still have the Similasan Dry eye--they do have the single vials with no preservatives that I also purchased. I did not know that single vials are due to no preservatives till Dr Jeff mentioned it. Danielle, I do believe JJ has dry eye as Dr. Jeff explained that he probably has reflex watering. That makes total sense. I worked with someone who said she had dry eye with tears CONSTANTLY running down her face.... I never understood that until right now. The vet was measuring the fluid and saying he did not have dry eye. I think he does have dry eye and for months I did nothing thinking he did not have dry eye. I guess it is an oxymoron kind of symptomology. Well looks like I have more options to try here. I do know a bit about the blocked gland---my doctor used to tell me to use baby shampoo on my eyelids to unblock the gland. I found that simply warm water compresses did the job. JJ is a good boy for such applications. He seems to be soothed by me holding the warm rag on his eyes and petting his ears and side of his face (a double bonus for him) so we get some of that happy therapy in too. Thank you Dr. Jeff and Danielle for your suggestions and explanations. Going to try the ionbox in his space tomorrow to start.

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
@LilF - Yeah, ironically you can have dry eye and yet have ample tear production. If the tear-film stability is low (the tear evaporates too quickly) then it doesn't matter how many tears the eye creates if the moisture doesn't stick around long enough to sufficiently lubricate (lubrication consisting of the tear itself plus meibomian lipids--your compresses will help keep those in working order--and ocular mucins and proteins). It's a balance of quantity and quality.

That's great that the compresses help and give JJ relief and you both some quality time. I've never tried baby shampoo on my eyes (my Dad does), cuz I don't like the idea of soap + sensitive eyes, but the Avenova serves the same purpose (remove oil buildup and bacteria). And then the compresses help keep the lipids moving.

I do hope JJ gets better soon, but from the sounds of it, he's very comfortable with what you're currently doing, which is great. :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thank you Dr. Jeff and Danielle for your suggestions and explanations. Going to try the ionbox in his space tomorrow to start.
You're welcome Lil, and definitely keep us posted about whether he likes the negative ion airflow.

Great explanation Danielle about tears and KCS! Thanks for sharing it with us. ?❤️

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@LilF - Hey Lil, sorry to hear about your dog's eyes! I'm always very sad to hear that anybody, animal or human, has eye issues, cuz I have some pretty messed up eyes (corneal dystrophy + blepharitis). I'm wondering if, since you're wiping JJs eyes anyway, I wonder if hypochlorous acid (HCIO) would help at all. HCIO is produced by our white blood cells and is apparently non-toxic. It's anti-microbial and I find it very soothing when my eyes are bothering me for any reason (and it doesn't sting whatsoever, which I'm very sensitive to and avoid like the plague). Dr. Google says HCIO is safe for pets (and it appears to be in eye products for pets), but we can get @Dr. Jeff to chime in. I know you're taking care of JJ systemically, so for topical relief, I wonder if HCIO on a cotton pad would give JJ any relief. It helps clear away any bacteria that might be lining the eyelids, which can cause inflammation of the eyelid (ie, blepharitis).

For my eyes, I use a brand called Avenova (it's saline + HCIO 0.01%, nothing else, and I buy it through Amazon because it ships directly from the manufacturer, NovaBay Pharmaceuticals--double check the shipper if you go that route). Avenova's directions are to use twice daily for 2 weeks, then once daily for maintenance. Again, this is to treat human blepharitis and dry eye, and I know that JJ does NOT have dry eyes, but I wonder if the anti-microbial properties of the HCIO would help at all.

I also use warm compresses on occasion (careful that they're not too hot, which I know is subjective. It just has to be warm enough to help the natural oils flow better and produce better tears. It's been explained to me like this: because the tiny oil glands that line the eye--Meibomian glands--can get clogged, a warm compress melts the clogged oil and gets them flowing again, much like warming a stick of butter). For me, Avenova helped more than warm compresses (and is easier to do, thus better compliance with the Avenova).

From the looks of it, there are pet products for the eyes with HCIO in them, but they have a lot of other stuff in them. Just found this on an online vet Q&A thing about HCIO: "Hydrochlorous acid eyewash has antimircobial properties and is similar to saline in pH. It is safe to use on dogs." Again, let's see what Dr. Jeff says (or any professional, since I obvi am not an expert, just someone with crappy eyes who loves this product and doesn't endorse things lightly, especially with my very sensitive eyes. And, no, I don't get a dime from the company.). :D

Good luck with JJ!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@DanielleDL you mentioned getting the Avenova from Amazon as it is shipped directly from the manufacturer? Is there another source other than Amazon.... Long story.... once I was spoofed thinking something was coming direct and the packaging etc... was different so I did not use it. I don't like ordering anything from Amazon that is ingested even though several of my vets have mentioned other things for other problems I can get from amazon---do THEY use amazon???? Just don't trust them for things other than hammers, dvd's or "things"... you get my point :))) Even if I have to pay more, it's fine... I would like to try this product you mention. As an aside, yes, my eye doctor mentioned to use baby shampoo on my own eye for blocked gland but then I read the ingredients and did not use it on myself....thought "baby" shampoo would be safer but it did not meet my standards. Thanks again for your great post on this topic

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
@LilF - Absolutely! You don't have to go through Amazon, and I totally understand your worries since I feel I've been scammed as well in the past (typically from third-party shippers, but, again, I TOTALLY get it and don't blame you for wanting to order direct. When in doubt, I do the same). You can order directly from the company: Avenova® . And, yeah, I hear ya on the baby shampoo. I tried to convince my dad to use something else, but he's pretty old school and baby shampoo is cheap. His life, his choice. :D

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
And, so there's no confusion, here's a direct link to the product I'm referring to: Avenova OTC - you spray it on a cotton pad (like an eye makeup remover pad) and gently wipe the eye along the lid line.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@DanielleDL Thank you soooo much..... they say we mirror our animals and vice versa---well, guess who has little crusties on HER eyelashes lately? Bizarre.... truth, My Gabby had a thyroid tumor and I had mine removed... My JJ has irregular heartbeat and so do I. Maybe I need a full body scan to see what other problems I might have that I am/have treated my dogs for. I am horrified at the truth to this. I just hope I don't start LOOKING like a shar pei--mine have forehead wrinkles....As far as your dad still using the baby shampoo. I know a lot of people stuck in their ways in spite of something better or safer. They feel "it works so why change." I guess if I go deep in the woods on this.... I would call it losing neuroplasticity....(I think JJ has this and getting worse!!) I am always willing to look at and evaluate everything. I will let you know how this works for us.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom