• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Female cat not able to urinate

MarijkeH

Registered
our 16/17 year old female cat (TG) is constantly trying to pee without success - except for the occasional dribble - we are taking her in for an emergency appointment today. She is still keen to eat and acting relatively normal, except for the attempts to pee and as many times licking herself.
With it being the holiday season, I am not sure as to when you guys will be back on board.
Will post again once we have a diagnosis.

Dr Jean Hofve

TG has been diagnosed with probable urinary tract infection and has been prescribed antibiotics - which we are not keen on - however may need to give if D-Mannose is not suitable.
Can cats have D-Mannose, and if so, at what dosage?

Dr Jean

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear about TG's Christmas UTI.
Can cats have D-Mannose, and if so
Yes, they can have mannose and it is typically quite safe.

However, you might want to consider other steps as well.

Things like decreasing stress, and increasing water consumption vitamin C and cranberry extract.

Did the vet give TG any fluids?

This article has other suggestions:

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hopefully they gave fluids as Dr. Jeff suggested! Increasing urine volume is extremely important to flush out the bladder Adding a little extra water, chicken broth, bone broth, etc. to wet or raw food is a good way to do that.

Her behavior is not because she can't pee, but there isn't enough in the bladder to come out. If you've ever had a UTI, you know you feel like you have to pee about 30 seconds after you last tried!

Antibiotics aren't usually indicated, but Clavamox does have anti-inflammatory properties that make cats feel better. In an older cats that is more appropriate. However they destroy the gut microbiome, so probiotics during and for a few weeks afterward are crucial. Give probiotics about 2 hours separated from antibiotics.

Anti-inflammatory herbs like turmeric and antioxidant blends can be very helpful, though getting them into cats is not the easiest thing. Cranberry is better for dogs, who have an actual E. coli infection, and in older cats like TG, because their immune defenses are reduced and bacteria can ascend into the bladder. (It's less helpful for younger cats since bacteria are not usually involved.)

Of course, if she is eating any dry food or treats at all, that must be eliminated.

I haven't used mannose but I hear good reports about it!

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
I have had great success at curing UTI's in Cats with Homeopathic Cantharis and Animal Essentials Tinkle Tonic for 2 weeks. I just spoke with a Rescue owner today that said she has had success at unblocking blocked Cats with Cantharis and they were able to Urinate again! Hope this helps. Sending Love and Healing, Lauren ox

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
our 16/17 year old female cat (TG) is constantly trying to pee without success - except for the occasional dribble - we are taking her in for an emergency appointment today. She is still keen to eat and acting relatively normal, except for the attempts to pee and as many times licking herself.
With it being the holiday season, I am not sure as to when you guys will be back on board.
Will post again once we have a diagnosis.

Dr Jean Hofve

TG has been diagnosed with probable urinary tract infection and has been prescribed antibiotics - which we are not keen on - however may need to give if D-Mannose is not suitable.
Can cats have D-Mannose, and if so, at what dosage?

Dr Jean
I have had great success at curing UTI's in Cats with Homeopathic Cantharis and Animal Essentials Tinkle Tonic for 2 weeks. I just spoke with a Rescue owner today that said she has had success at unblocking blocked Cats with Cantharis and they were able to Urinate again! Hope this helps. Sending Love and Healing, Lauren ox

MarijkeH

Registered
I'm sorry to hear about TG's Christmas UTI.

Yes, they can have mannose and it is typically quite safe.

However, you might want to consider other steps as well.

Things like decreasing stress, and increasing water consumption vitamin C and cranberry extract.

Did the vet give TG any fluids?

This article has other suggestions:

Thank you, TG was not given fluids - she is pretty keen on the Organic Paws, but it is only given at night with water mixed in - will give AM also. Organic Paws was what they solely lived off (TG and Henney) However Henney decided he would rather die than continue that diet.
From there on they both enjoyed commercial wet food as well as the night time very wet raw food.
TG also spends most of her days outdoors (her choice)
Can you please let me know the required dosage for D-Mannose. TG weighs 4.4kg

Dr Jeff

MarijkeH

Registered
Hopefully they gave fluids as Dr. Jeff suggested! Increasing urine volume is extremely important to flush out the bladder Adding a little extra water, chicken broth, bone broth, etc. to wet or raw food is a good way to do that.

Her behavior is not because she can't pee, but there isn't enough in the bladder to come out. If you've ever had a UTI, you know you feel like you have to pee about 30 seconds after you last tried!

Antibiotics aren't usually indicated, but Clavamox does have anti-inflammatory properties that make cats feel better. In an older cats that is more appropriate. However they destroy the gut microbiome, so probiotics during and for a few weeks afterward are crucial. Give probiotics about 2 hours separated from antibiotics.

Anti-inflammatory herbs like turmeric and antioxidant blends can be very helpful, though getting them into cats is not the easiest thing. Cranberry is better for dogs, who have an actual E. coli infection, and in older cats like TG, because their immune defenses are reduced and bacteria can ascend into the bladder. (It's less helpful for younger cats since bacteria are not usually involved.)

Of course, if she is eating any dry food or treats at all, that must be eliminated.

I haven't used mannose but I hear good reports about it!
Thank you, yes, will probably order probiotics again from adored beast apothecary - would there be anything she might require at the same time? (seeing that shipping is a flat rate)
TG is very fussy - she stopped eating her food because she decided that she would no longer tolerate the CBD oil.
No dry food or treats - only wet, but yeah, never see her drink.

Dr Jean

MarijkeH

Registered
That sounds amazing, certainly worth having in the house in case of an emergency, although having a cat that can't pee is pretty scary. Do you know how long it took Cantharis to work?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
having a cat that can't pee is pretty scary
Typically, this is seen only in male cats. As Dr. Jean mentioned, female cats seem to be unable to pass urine, but that's typically due to the irritation/inflammation of the bladder ("cyst-itis").

Use mannose as per Easy Peasy II:

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Right... just to clarify: male and female cats both get LUTDs (lower urinary tract disease--cystitis, or, misnamed UTIs) equally, but only males will block. It is very very rare for a female to block so it's not a concern with them. For males, if Cantharis does not work within a few hours (and it absolutely can!), it's a life-threatening emergency.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Marijke!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom