• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Elderly Cat With Kidney Issues Won't Eat

hanakiko

Community Member
Registered
Hi everyone, I am new here. I feel so lucky to have found this community. My 20-year-old black cat Kiko has been in great health all her life (we are so thankful) but it's been increasingly hard to get her to eat. In the past few days, she has stopped eating (mostly drinking water) and has become very weak. I know she's an old cat and has lived well beyond the average lifespan. That said, she was chasing butterflies in the front yard a few days ago so this decline seems very rapid. Are there any foods or supplements I can try to support her kidneys? Our vet says she is having kidney issues and there's not much they can do but provide fluids. I've read a few things about parsley juice and baby food but I'm not sure what kind of baby food is recommended for cats. Can I try feeding her puréed fruits/vegetables? Coconut water? Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome to HA! Hana. Thanks for making your first post.

I'm super sorry to hear about Kiko's appetite.:confused:
support her kidneys?
Yes! And we'll discuss some of them today when we talk.

In the meantime, has she already had any blood tests?

Did she have fluids when she went to the vet?

she was chasing butterflies in the front yard a few days ago
This is great! And tells me that she probably has the vitality and cellular energy needed to heal.

Perhaps get her outside in the sun, pet her until she purrs, and visualize her running and playing with butterflies again this weekend.

Regarding foods, perhaps blenderize somme of her favorite food (chicken?) and add water so it is very soupy.

And let her drink it up. Try the same thing with a raw egg, molasses, sardines, etc.

Try everything you mentioned and whatever you think of.

And focus on her happiest things, loving thoughts, lots of fresh air, sunshine, etc.

We'll talk further in a few hours.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hi, welcome! Learning to give fluids at home is the single best thing you can do for a cat with CKD. It will wash the toxins out, improve her hydration, and make her feel much much better!

Here's my article on CKD, probably you know most of it but there may be a nugget or two that will be useful:
Kidney Disease in Cats | Little Big Cat - Dr. Jean Hofve

hanakiko

Community Member
Registered
Thank you so much! She has not had any blood tests but the vet gave her fluid yesterday and a few other times over the past few months. Looking forward to speaking later today and we'll try giving her some puréed chicken with water.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom