• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Dog from the shelter with many physical problems (osteoarthritis, ear infections, energy deficiency, tartar etc.)

AnnaR

Community Member
Registered
I have been living with a 12-year-old female dog (mixed breed) for about 3 years. When I took her in from an animal shelter, she had countless physical problems. Her intestines in particular (terrible long-lasting diarrhea), but also the lack of muscles, arthritis, severe tartar, heart problems and itchy ears (fungal infection) were a big issue. Not to mention the fact that she can hardly see or hear anything.
With a lot of patience, Moros carrot soup, nux vomica D6 and an intestinal build-up cure, we got it under control. We have been doing really well for about a year now - she only has diarrhea when there are (very rarely) particularly stressful situations.
She eats very well, is a very relaxed and self-confident dog, but also has little energy. You can clearly see that she has movement problems and, according to the physiotherapist, her muscles should no longer be built up too much, as there is a risk of a long-term relieving posture and thus new pain. She walks very stiffly, especially in cold and wet weather, and we only take her for short walks.
As the vet advises against cleaning her teeth under anesthetic due to her heart condition, we are now working with an ultrasonic toothbrush to get rid of the tartar.
We have tried propolis for her ears, but as they are so inflamed, she screams when I try to clean them.
I have started using Vermiculite to slow down the arthritis - but I can't yet say exactly how much it actually helps.
I'm a bit at a loss as to how best to proceed in order to improve her quality of life. In my opinion, the itchy ears and arthritis bother her the most. I would be very happy to hear any suggestions on how I can best help her.
I love her very much and she is such a sweetheart. It hurts to see her struggle with all these things.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Anna!

Welcome to HA! and thanks so much for making your first post. ? ? ?

And super special thanks for giving a special needs older rescue pup a forever home!!:snowman::snowman::dog2:
With a lot of patience, Moros carrot soup, nux vomica D6 and an intestinal build-up cure, we got it under control. We have been doing really well for about a year now
Yay! Good work!!
her muscles should no longer be built up too much, as there is a risk of a long-term relieving posture and thus new pain.
Hmm. Most vet PTs I know advise building up her muscles (especially of her core) to help stabilize the joints and reduce arthritic discomfort.

I'd love to learn more about the strategy that the physiotherapist advised.
I have started using Vermiculite to slow down the arthritis - but I can't yet say exactly how much it actually helps
Wow! You're the first person I've encountered in a long time who has tried vermiculite.

Many years ago, when I first learned about it, te context was a homeopathic medicine called "Mineral" (derived from vermiculite) to do this.

I'm a bit at a loss as to how best to proceed in order to improve her quality of life.
1. Focus on those things that make her happiest (and BEAM)

2. Maximize her time outside grounding and sniffing ("Therapeutic Sniff Walks" or even just lying on the ground)

3. Feed fresh food (raw if she likes and can tolerate it)

4. Feed lots of heart and kidney

And one more quality of life strategy (once you have settled on a routine) is seeing if she responds to Bioplasma:

Thank you!

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
I’m just learning a lot about PEA from DrJudyMorgan.com or youtube video on it. Helps with pain and a host of conditions.
@Dr. Jeff Have you used it in your practice and what are your clinical results and experience?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
@Dr. Jeff Have you used it in your practice and what are your clinical results and experience?
Yes, I have used P.E.A.

In my experience, ~30% of animals respond, in various degrees, to it.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom