• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Crystals and urinary issues with cat

MatthewF

Registered
  1. Your pet's name- Rahji
  2. Approximate age- 5 years old
  3. Sex- Male
  4. Neutering status- desexed
  5. Breed- domestic long hair
  6. Approximate weight- I think its around 5 kg but will need to check again when I can
  7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood)- very friendly loves cuddles and playing outside.
  8. Diet- mainstream vet Urinary S/O diet Hills Science diet
  9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication- never been vaccinated
  10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time-
Rahji was given mostly a dry food diet when he was younger with wet food as treats. I didn’t know much about pet nutrition then other than what main stream vets told me.

When he was 2 years old I started to feed him more wet food

When Rahji was 2 1/2 years old, I had to take him to the vet Because he became weak ( not being able to jump up onto things and floppy) he was struggling to urinate properly.

The Vets said he had crystals in his urine and gave him some medication and urinary diet to take home. When Rahji regained strength and got better. I put him back on his usual diet (kibble and wet food at night). Soon after he has issues with his urine again (struggling to urinate)

Another Vet visit and the vets said that he would need to be on urinary S/O hills diet for the rest of his life. They told me this diet helps to dissolve stones and that this is an issue some male cats have.

Rahji has been on Urinary S/0 diet for around 3 years and hasn’t had issues with his urine since although I don’t want him to be on this diet and eat processed food for the rest of his life

Rahji was distant for a few months at one point and we started to give him a bit or liquid stock each day which helped him a lot. He became happier and more affectionate.

I am a lot more informed now with holistic pet health and don’t want him to be eating this diet anymore.

We just recently added 2 more kittens to the family who are on a raw meat diet. We would love to see rahji on something similar although he is fussy with food now.

We have tried him with some raw food before although he is fussy with his food now and its hard to make these changes.

Thank you. Matt

1. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc?
His condition seems to be better when he has more liquid in his diet and eating hills urinary s/o diet.

1. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them)
-I don’t think so

1. Current and previous treatment
Current treatment that Mainstream Vets gave me was keep him on the Urinary s/o diet

1. Other health concerns
Rahji does vomit occasionally but I think its mostly hair balls

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
When cats are completely healthy they do not vomit hairballs. Check out the Early Warning signs article.

Yes - you can switch to fresh food for Rahji. Interesting that as soon as more fresh food (broth) introduced that he felt better.

Definitely read the article on selecting a vet so you can have a homeopathic vet or other remote holistic vet on your team.

Also go to the library section on urinary issues to learn more about his challenges.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for starting this thread Matthew.

This will be a wonderful way for us to follow up after our call today!

MatthewF

Registered
When cats are completely healthy they do not vomit hairballs. Check out the Early Warning signs article.

Yes - you can switch to fresh food for Rahji. Interesting that as soon as more fresh food (broth) introduced that he felt better.

Definitely read the article on selecting a vet so you can have a homeopathic vet or other remote holistic vet on your team.

Also go to the library section on urinary issues to learn more about his challenges.

Dr. Christina
thank you for your reply. i will check out those articles :)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom