• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Challenges with administering subcutaneous fluids for Bella at home. Argh!!!!!

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
OK folks, I tried a different way today with my husband to try and administer subcutaneous fluids and my little wisp of a kitty became a lion! I can tell you Bella has always been an intelligent cat and she won this battle again today after 3 tries! I started off as usual getting all the stuff ready to go, warmed up the bag a little so it wouldn't be too cold, put on a smaller gauge needle so it wouldn't be as uncomfortable as the large gauge, had a talk with her in a soothing tone, asked if she would let us help her feel better, talked about the needle. Even followed the advice of a holistic mobile vet that came to our home a month or so ago, who had also showed me how to administer while she was here. Bella got very very squirmy and I was concerned about the needle being stuck where it shouldn't be. I kept calm, though I think hubby felt a sense of frustration that he couldn't help me succeed, and was worried I'd be upset. I wasn't, I assured him. To me this really is about not stressing my kitty out instead of me succeeding in the task. I may have to go back to the drawing board here with professionals, either coming to see me or a ride to the local vet. She is not looking sickly but I'd like to help her feel a little better than I am sure she feels already. Any advice? I recall my usual animal communicator said she herself couldn't ever seem to adjust to it and had professionals handle it.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Good for you for staying calm. Sounds like you did everything I would recommend.
Does she really need the fluids?
With homeopathy, I have had many cats do fine without regular fluids.
When she has gotten fluids in the past when she was not feeling sickly, did it make her feel a little better?
Maybe you can find some other ways to make her feel better than using fluid injections.

Dr. Christina

DayshaG

Community Member
Registered
Good for you for staying calm. Sounds like you did everything I would recommend.
Does she really need the fluids?
With homeopathy, I have had many cats do fine without regular fluids.
When she has gotten fluids in the past when she was not feeling sickly, did it make her feel a little better?
Maybe you can find some other ways to make her feel better than using fluid injections.

Dr. Christina
@Dr. Christina Bella's 1st introduction to subcutaneous fluids was a little over a few months ago on a weekend when I found her lying close to her water dish, and lethargic, with no appetite. When I took her to my local vet, they gave her fluids and one acupuncture needle. I noticed after that treatment, she perked up, so I thought through what I observed, as well as what I have read (like from Dr. Hamilton's homeopathy book), that fluid therapy would help her feel better. Sounds like it is possible she doesn't need them at the moment (but note that she still drinks a lot of water daily), or there could be other options...

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Maybe it was the acupuncture needle, maybe both.
Maybe she is in a different state now and does not need fluids.
Listening to what they want is so important, as you know.
Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom