• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat itching/paw chewing/overgroomnig

AlexaH

Registered
  1. we do have 2 cats who have been experiencing similar symptoms, Coconut's case being a bit more extreme
  2. Coconut
  3. turning 5 y/o in October
  4. male
  5. neutered
  6. British Short Hair
  7. 18 lbs
  8. energy and appetite are great, he plays throughout the day and night. some behavioral issues toward his sister particularly when he's hungry
  9. on a raw diet (beef + beef bones and organs cat food) since a week and a half ago
  10. received vaccines as a kitten, is due for his 5 year shots
  11. the main issue here is itchiness primarily around the head and ears causing hot spots/broken skin, chewing at paws and sometimes tail/backside, and generally overgrooming all over the body. we changed their diets back in December of last year which tipped off this chain of events and have not been able to get to the root cause. after a lot of research, we decided to put the cats on a raw food diet to eliminate any additives/toxins that could be causing this reaction
  12. haven't been able to find much of a pattern for the reaction, it is pretty consistent although some days he is more uncomfortable than others but this did all come about at the same time as we were going through some food changes. although our vet believed the allergies to be environmental there has been no pattern with the seasons, cleanliness of the house, windows open/closed, etc.
  13. no
  14. we have tried diet changes, antihistamines, Frontline in case of mites or fleas
  15. Coconut was eating more dry food until January of 2023, then we switched to a limited ingredient rabbit based, primary wet food diet with 1/8 cup of dry food overnight. they had been on that plan for all of this year but the itchiness has remained, leading me to believe there's a sneaky ingredient in the wet and/or dry food that was causing this sensitivity. we switched them to the primary wet diet because coconut was having occasional episodes where he would gag as if he were going to throw up but nothing would come out except for a little bile or saliva sometimes, as well as occasional diarrhea. that has seemed to mostly go away, their digestion seems to have regulated as we have not experienced vommitting or diarrhea regularly over the past few months. i know we are only 1.5 weeks into the raw diet and it can take time for their systems to adjust and get the bad stuff out but i am here to make sure we are on the right track and to explore adding any supplements that might help with their comfort in the meantime. since the switch to raw, i have noticed improvement to energy levels and the frequency during the day we are feeding but he definitely still has some itchy days
@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Sara thank you so much in advance for any insight!

Last edited:

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
  1. Patience is key, especially for skin issues and you have already seen a benefit to raw. Your cats will greatly benefit being on a raw food diet. You do need to continue to learn about feeding as there are many different healthy raw approaches. "on a raw diet (beef + beef bones and organs cat food) since a week and a half ago since the switch to raw, i have noticed improvement to energy levels and the frequency during the day we are feeding but he definitely still has some itchy days". I want to be sure he is not eating any DRY. Dry food needs to be banned. You are right that there's a sneaky ingredient sin the wet and/or dry food that was causing this sensitivity. However, those ingredients are not the CAUSE of the itching, merely the trigger. The CAUSE is an imbalanced vital force.
  2. The CURE, then is to re-balance the energy field/vital force/Chi. You can support and soothe the itchiness in many ways. Carefully read this article and all the links.
  3. An imbalanced energy field creates symptoms to re-balance itself.
  4. When the energy field is balanced enough to create these symptoms on the skin, this is good because no one dies from skin problems (well, very very rarely). If you suppress the skin symptoms, they can become more ill. Read here.
  5. I hope you mean just rabies when you say "he is due for his 5 year shots". You may want to wait until the skin is clear.
  6. While you may be able to resolve the skin problems with the raw food and above guidance, we strongly suggest (lesson 5 in the pet health 101 course) you have a homeopathic or Chinese Medicine or other very good holistic vet on your team.
  7. If all this seems too confusing, be sure to schedule your 15 minute member call with Dr. Jeff or myself (and I also do coaching for a longer call - HealthyAnimals@aol.com
Dr. Christina

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Agree, NO dry food. At all. Ever. Too many problems to fully explain but here's a quick look: 10 Reasons Why Dry Food Is Bad for Cats & Dogs | Little Big Cat - Dr. Jean Hofve

The skin pattern is most suggestive of food allergy. Typical to take 8-12 weeks to clear up. So keep going on the raw. Don't add too many supplements for now and be SURE they do not contain potentially problematic ingredients.

If I have a patient with allergic skin disease, that's an automatic exemption from all future vaccines. Even when skin is clear that is a great way to cause a bad flare-up. Might discuss with your vet, or holistic vet if you get hooked up with one.

AlexaH

Registered
  1. Patience is key, especially for skin issues and you have already seen a benefit to raw. Your cats will greatly benefit being on a raw food diet. You do need to continue to learn about feeding as there are many different healthy raw approaches. "on a raw diet (beef + beef bones and organs cat food) since a week and a half ago since the switch to raw, i have noticed improvement to energy levels and the frequency during the day we are feeding but he definitely still has some itchy days". I want to be sure he is not eating any DRY. Dry food needs to be banned. You are right that there's a sneaky ingredient sin the wet and/or dry food that was causing this sensitivity. However, those ingredients are not the CAUSE of the itching, merely the trigger. The CAUSE is an imbalanced vital force.
  2. The CURE, then is to re-balance the energy field/vital force/Chi. You can support and soothe the itchiness in many ways. Carefully read this article and all the links.
  3. An imbalanced energy field creates symptoms to re-balance itself.
  4. When the energy field is balanced enough to create these symptoms on the skin, this is good because no one dies from skin problems (well, very very rarely). If you suppress the skin symptoms, they can become more ill. Read here.
  5. I hope you mean just rabies when you say "he is due for his 5 year shots". You may want to wait until the skin is clear.
  6. While you may be able to resolve the skin problems with the raw food and above guidance, we strongly suggest (lesson 5 in the pet health 101 course) you have a homeopathic or Chinese Medicine or other very good holistic vet on your team.
  7. If all this seems too confusing, be sure to schedule your 15 minute member call with Dr. Jeff or myself (and I also do coaching for a longer call - HealthyAnimals@aol.com
Dr. Christina
Thank you so much, Dr. Christina! It is reassuring to hear that you've seen success with the raw food switch and that we are hopefully on the right path. My patience has certainly been tested as it's incredibly difficult to see my babies in any ounce of discomfort but I am motivated to stay the course and hopefully we will continue to see improvements. You are correct that Coco is on 0 dry food today. As of January 2023 he has had no more than 1/8 cup overnight because he can be a bit of a menace when he's hungry but for the past 2 weeks we have taken that away completely, there were Peas and other ingredients in the food that could be an irritant. On the 5 year shots, I think it is rabies and distemper but I canceled his appointment as I've been doing more research on giving our pets these shots and definitely don't want to do it while we are dealing with these skin issues, I will clarify with the vet when we're in a place to potentially move forward. Thank you for the articles and resources as well, I am so glad to have stumbled on holistic healing methods still relatively early on in my kitties lives, as our vet was ready to resort to steroids quite soon which as you know will not solve the underlying issue. Thank you!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Alexa!

Welcome to HA! and thanks for posting.
have not been able to get to the root cause
I'm so glad that you mentioned that! The first step is to start thinking outside the limited "box" of linear (cause and effect) physiological medicine.

Unfortunately, this is what we are taught in vet school and is the basis of modern day vet med.

But the reality of any symptom, and of all life, is that energy is key IMHO. Not the physical and physiological stuff.

Let's start there (with raising and balancing Coconut's cellular energy).

When you do so, his immune hypersensitivity which is over responding to some allergic trigger will also rebalance.

The best part is that you can build and rebalance Coconut's energy flow yourself, for free.

How to do so is the basis of the upcoming Sacred Paws summit:

Feeding a raw diet is a great start!

If you did nothing else, the diet alone may help rebalance his immune system and stop the paw problem.

If you add a species-appropriate probiotic like Felix's Flora from Adored Beast, that will also help rebalance his gut microbiome:

Your next steps are to take the HA! 101 course (if you haven't already done so) and to love him up, and raise his body's ability to heal, by promoting purring, play and happiness.

Oh, and please share the summit link with any loving pet professional (like cat sitters, vet techs, even vets)
you know!

AlexaH

Registered
Hey Alexa!

Welcome to HA! and thanks for posting.

I'm so glad that you mentioned that! The first step is to start thinking outside the limited "box" of linear (cause and effect) physiological medicine.

Unfortunately, this is what we are taught in vet school and is the basis of modern day vet med.

But the reality of any symptom, and of all life, is that energy is key IMHO. Not the physical and physiological stuff.

Let's start there (with raising and balancing Coconut's cellular energy).

When you do so, his immune hypersensitivity which is over responding to some allergic trigger will also rebalance.

The best part is that you can build and rebalance Coconut's energy flow yourself, for free.

How to do so is the basis of the upcoming Sacred Paws summit:

Feeding a raw diet is a great start!

If you did nothing else, the diet alone may help rebalance his immune system and stop the paw problem.

If you add a species-appropriate probiotic like Felix's Flora from Adored Beast, that will also help rebalance his gut microbiome:

Your next steps are to take the HA! 101 course (if you haven't already done so) and to love him up, and raise his body's ability to heal, by promoting purring, play and happiness.

Oh, and please share the summit link with any loving pet professional (like cat sitters, vet techs, even vets)
you know!

Hi Dr. Jeff! thank you so much for this insight and resources. I actually found a great local pet store that carries the raw cat food we are using and they recommended Felix's Flora to me as well, my kitties have been on the probiotic for a little under a week now (and are coming up on 2 weeks of the raw food). We are seeing some improvement/less itching/chewing and the hot spot on Coconut's head has scabbed over as he has been leaving it be (mostly), I have my fingers crossed that this progress will continue. I did put time on your calendar for Thursday as I just have a few follow up questions and want to continue my learning on the subject so I will make sure to review the links you sent prior and am looking forward to speaking!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom