• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat drooling Saliva

FarahM

All-Access Member
Registered
Greetings.

BACKGROUND
Taichi is a male cat, neutered and almost 1.5 years old. I dont know his breed, but he a handsome grey and off-white tabby. He weighs 9.2lbs .

FOOD
Raw Freeze Dried Stella & Chewy's Cat food - Duck, Chicken. Also, Dr. Marty's Salmon treats. Little dabs of Ghee (clarified butter) everyday, about 3/4 to 1tsp.

VACCINATION
Rabies 1yr, and FVRCP. Taichi has been given a dewormer in the past.

CURRENT CONDITION
I found my cat Taichi drooling clear saliva this morning. His fur was wet and parts of his bedding. He is drooling from the right side of the mouth. The drool is not continuous but intermittent, although I do hear him swallowing his saliva

Taichi tends to be a very vocal cat to the point that it can test my patience as well as the patience of the other male cat in the house. He communicates vocally to us very often.

In hind sight, I would say that in the past couple of days days, he has been a little extra vocal. I thought he's been more hungry and asking for more food. I also did notice him swallowing his saliva occasionally but didn't think much of it.

Taichi's appetite is good. He ate breakfast, a small lunch and a snack today. He asked for food twice in the afternoon. He was interested in playing this morning, he also watched the birds outside from the window; but I would say that overall his countenance is a little dampened or subdued. His vocal sounds are not as loud either.

On examining his mouth I found the side teeth to have a lot of tartar. I was disappointed by this development because it means teeth cleaning is in order soon as well as a doctor's visit along with their wanting me to vaccinate them again for Rabies and whatever else...!

I would appreciate any insights you may have.

Last but not least, below is some information about the social dynamic of the sibling trio that may be relevant.

HOUSEHOLD DYNAMIC
There are two additional siblings in the house, a male named Sumo and a female named Layli. All are neutered and have same vaccination history. All are indoor-outdoor cats, but since late last Fall, they've not had free access to the outside, but supervised time outside only as we lost three cats to the forest last year. They were a family of five beautiful kittens and one beautiful mother. It's been heart breaking.

Sumo is the dominant cat of the house; he is very possessive of his space and probably his guardians as well. We do try to give them all equal attention and don't play favorites.

We find that Sumo hisses at both of his siblings often when they enter his space or if they run into him when he is in these moods; but this behavior is directed more towards Taichi since he is the other male cat in the house.

The interesting part of the dynamic is that during meal time, the cats end up eating out of each other's plates, and there never is any aggression over food. Also, when Taichi invades Sumo's space, Sumo hisses and is the one to leave.

Otherwise Sumo is very sweet and loves to get A LOT affection from us when he is in the mood - he becomes like a baby in our arms. And he gives affection to his siblings and they play and groom each other and even sleep with each other. But overall Sumo does create a stressful situation for his brother Taichi. I hope I can find some Homeopathic or flower remedy to help Sumo share his space without tension.

Layli and Taichi have become friends since the disappearance of Simba their brother. Sumo's dominant behavior seems to have brought them closer together. Taichi and Layli are very mild mannered cats and are able to share space without any problems.

Although Taichi is quite strong and slightly larger in built, and during playtime he can match or out do Sumo, but Taichi tends to be docile when it comes to Sumo's dominating behavior. He does not retaliate, but he continues to carry out the behaviors that Sumo does not like - trying to share the same window seat or adjacent seat to Sumo. One could say Taichi is just a nice cat or that he is a slow learner or a bit socially clueless? or that he is passive aggressive? Or all three?

Again, thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Cordially,
Farah

Last edited:

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Is there any possibility of him eating string or yarn? It can get caught around the base of the tongue. What about anything toxic?

How is his BEAM? Will he eat? Does he seem miserable?

Have you created a health care team yet? If so, do call one of them.
Dr. Christina

FarahM

All-Access Member
Registered
Dear Dr. Christina,
Thank you for your message. I don't know if you saw my post when it got prematurely posted with just a one line description. I have since updated it with more information.

To answer your questions-

There is no direct evidence of Taichi eating string or yarn. I did see him yawn twice, and also personally opened his mouth to check his teeth. Q) Is there a way for me to take a better look?

The day before yesterday, all three cats got into the rafter beams of my basement ceiling where it's open and unfinished with air ducts passing through. When we brought them down, they were covered in some dust. I tried to get it off but they had already started to groom themselves. So Taichi may have swallowed something from up there...

Taichi's appetite is good. He ate breakfast, a small lunch and a snack today. He asked for food twice in the afternoon. He was interested in playing this morning, he also watched the birds outside from the window; but I would say that overall his countenance is a just little subdued. His vocal sounds are not as loud either. But he is engaging in play with his sibling and also by himself with his favorite toy.

About creating a Healthcare Team - I have made an appointment to see his regular vet tomorrow, if that's what you mean.

-Farah

Last edited:

FarahM

All-Access Member
Registered
There could be strands from my hair which shed. Also, wool rugs can shed form the cats playing on them..

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Farah!

Thanks for asking this great question about Taichi's drooling symptom!

It's super important because thinking further about it will help put the drooling (or any other specific symptom) into context.

In this situation, Taichi had the drooling symptom which you were concerned about. At the same time he was playful, eating and interactive (vocal). It sounds like his BEAM was close to 100%.

The potential seriousness of any symptom can be assessed using BEAM.

The reason is that behavior, appetite and mood reflect internal balance (and the presence of a dis-ease that needs immediate (ER) attention.

In this case, you did the exact right action IMHO. That is, you looked at the symptom and then examined him and scheduled time to see your regular vet.

Dr. Christina asked about Taichi's vet care team to be sure that you have a vet that you can call and visit for an exam and any indicated diagnostic tests. Having an open-minded and/or supportive local vet is super important.

Your conventional vet will help assess any specific symptom within the context of dis-ease but is often not trained to make the kind of holistic assessment that you may want (based on the great emotional and inter-cat details you shared).

For that purpose, it's great to have a holistic health team (which you have already started building!). This article talks a bit more about that:

Two other recommendations:

1. Add a vet homeopath or vet trained in TCM, Ayurveda or another energetic healing method on your team (this week's webinar talked much more about the energy that fuels the body).

2. You might want to try 4-6 weeks of the NZ Deer Velvet oral spray which is available online (or maybe your vet). If you want to get some and can't find it, you can do so at homevet.com (my practice website):

MisaO

Community Member
Registered
Hi Farah, hope Taichi is no longer drooling. Just to share my experience here. My cat Toast also had drooling saliva episode about 6 months ago. He is allowed to be in our backyard with cat fence all around until 10pm everyday. One night, he came back inside quietly, and jumped on my lap. I thought that was so cute of him, and started stroking him on his head, neck, and jaw..., then, I realized he had clear saliva all over his chin! We investigated further, and turned out that was a frog outside. Toast got frog's defensive spit-like thing, and caused his drooling. He continued drooling for another three hours. It might not be your case, but under this topic, I thought to chime in. Hope Taichi's case is not anything serious.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for sharing Toast's experience Misa! ❤️?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom