• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cardiomyopathy

LaurieC

All-Access Member
Registered
I am wondering if there are any new developments in the correlation with beans causing cardiomyopathy. When we heard the Glyphosate lecture and the speaker stated that beans had the highest absorption of Glyphosate, I figured that was what was causing the cardiomyopathy. I am interested in Dr. Jeff and Dr. Christina's feelings on this. I purchase or make all organic food. I like to mix meat and some vegan dog food that has lentils or peas in it. Thank you for your help.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
The data shows that there is NO correlation whatsoever between legumes/potatoes and DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy). DCM and grain-free pet foods: 3 strikes and you’re out!

In Dr. Kangas' lecture on glyphosate, she emphasized that it was found in organic legumes as well as conventional, though mostly at lower levels.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
As long as you are feeding a variety of foods, to have some organic legumes in the diet is fine.
Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Dr. Jean, I'm curious about how glyphosate gets in "organic" food (too lenient restrictions?)?

jsqueglia

All-Access Member
Registered
I believe it is also found in rain water. Apparently 70% of the earths rain water contains glyphosate. Plus like Dr Jean says ...wind. Not only from spraying at the time of spraying but because of wind carrying soil particles in wind/dust storms and relocating it . Plus because it is water soluble it easily makes it way into our water sources...so irrigation??

LaurieC

All-Access Member
Registered
I am wondering if there are any new developments in the correlation with beans causing cardiomyopathy. When we heard the Glyphosate lecture and the speaker stated that beans had the highest absorption of Glyphosate, I figured that was what was causing the cardiomyopathy. I am interested in Dr. Jeff and Dr. Christina's feelings on this. I purchase or make all organic food. I like to mix meat and some vegan dog food that has lentils or peas in it. Thank you for your help.
FYI I failed to mention I took advantage of the glyphosate urinalysis that was offered through the webinar, and my dogs level was very low. We visit parks on a rotation with manicured lawns..so I was nervous about weed killers. I called the head of Park maintenance in Trumbull and they use glyphosate only on invasive greens/weeds/shrubs. They always tag it with a flag so people are aware.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for the info Jackie (do you know of a reference?). I guess it shouldn't be a surprise to me that it has leeched into our water chain ground water/rain.:banghead:

Great to hear Laurie that you did an HRI glyphosate test and that it was low!

Fantastic that Trumbull is cautious about glyphosate use!!:snowman:

jsqueglia

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for the info Jackie (do you know of a reference?). I guess it shouldn't be a surprise to me that it has leeched into our water chain ground water/rain.:banghead:

Great to hear Laurie that you did an HRI glyphosate test and that it was low!

Fantastic that Trumbull is cautious about glyphosate use!!:snowman:
USGS Publications Warehouse (2014) This is one just one publication. Environmental Working Group is always publishing their findings and there are many. It may have been Katie Kangas that said it was in 70% of the earth's rainfall. The USGS link mentions 86% of their study results was in rainfall. They also mention streams, ground water, precipitation and soils. Another link from EWG, they have many... EWG's Tap Water Database: Contaminants in Your Water (2019) As far as I can tell it is pretty much everywhere )-; Organic foods are definitely our best bet but ultimately no food is guaranteed to be 100% free of glyphosate. We have witnessed even the state applying glyphosate along the guard rails and right over areas next to streams and swamps. Just driving around in the summer time as professional gardeners it makes us cringe to see home owners spraying Round up everywhere with their Ready Mix Pump sprayers. Not to mention the lawn chemicals .... and all the foundations that get sprayed with insecticides to kill ants and spiders...and then we get to weed and care for the beds in those saturated areas.... OH... I could go on and on.... Awareness is the first step! And for many I am sure the first step is right here in this awesome group! We don't know what we don't know...until we know. Jackie

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for the great info Jackie and for the kind words.

I guess low levels of glyphosate are now everywhere (like DDT).

Yes, awareness, eating organic food and avoiding areas potentially sprayed with glyphosate are the best we can do (along with holistically decreasing our pets, and our, susceptibility to all toxins).

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom