• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

ANXIETY

HealthyPet

All-Access Member
Registered
My foster corgi has been jumpy since she came to us and will bark at loud noises ( trucks, planes) and also goes crazy and wants to chase down and bark at every car that she sees , walking her is very difficult with this behavior.
We were told she “ doesn’t like thunder”, well we got our first storm with her here and I have never seen a dog so anxious. She runs around and barks non stop and then she starts panting and will not settle no matter what... it seems like once she starts she gets into such a heightened anxiety state that every noise ( including things she normally ignores) sets her off ...

She has been getting hemp rx for about a week twice a day and was getting .5 ml twice a day and then after talking to the Boulder Colorado vet office from the class increased it about 2 days ago to a full 1 ml twice a day and have been giving rescue remedy multiple times a day and none of it seems to be doing anything for her .... I also tried fomo bones and nothing :(

I’m worried about her health as being in such a state can not be good for her , and I finally caved and gave her a drug from the vet because she wouldn’t stop and wouldn’t sleep she was just on high alert and panting and pacing around and jumping up at every sound and barking non stop

I don’t want to have to rely on drugs of course and am sad that the cbd is not helping her ... also she seems to not like being wrapped in a hug etc so I’m not sure that a thunder shirt would be comfortable to her , but I will try it too ( but this is an anxiety/ fear response beyond anything I’ve ever seen)

any ideas or help that can be offered will be greatly appreciated for this poor baby

Thank you

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi-

There are many other supplements that might take the edge off her anxiety such as Theanine, 5-HTP, and Zylkene.

We'll be discussing these in relation to thunder and firework anxieties next week.

However none of these address the underlying cause for the anxiety (an imbalance).

Homeopathy and Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine will help optimize her imbalance.

In lieu of these, consider teaching her nosework games at home or getting her into and agility class to increase her confidence and decrease anxiety:

You can also set up a consultation with Julie who is a dog trainer and formulates flower essences that help anxious dogs:

G

ginnyw

A Thundershirt was a terrifically effective answer for my overreactive female. You can't just put it on and expect a miracle, however; you need to put it on, and work on simple tasks, with rewards, to focus her. Reward also for putting it on and taking it off:) Let her wear it inside and outside on walks. It reinforces positive thinking and replaces the scary thoughts. Give it time - there are no quick fixes. Of course, a complete homeopathic case-taking would help uncover the precise remedies to correct whatever insults she has suffered in her past. If she is a foster/rescue, I'm sure there were plenty, and their influence can be countered.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for your great advice about optimal use of Thundershirt Ginny.

This thread is especially relevant to next week's topic of fears, phobias and anxieties related to thunder and fireworks.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Oh my, I've had dogs like that too in the past. One of my Dals shredded any fabric he could get his mouth on.

It was once recommended to me that when I would give Rescue Remedy to a dog (or any animal), that I take it too.

Wanted to add that to the conversation.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, Kristen, it's definitely a great idea to share your RR with an anxious pup.

Their anxiety can definitely stress us out as well, and RR can help.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom