• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Antibiotics and calcium interference or not

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Blossom was prescribed Baytril (due to gram negative bacteria) and Clavamox for her infected uterus along with galiprant. Would calcium interfere with absorption of these drugs? I also am giving her Proviable probiotic 4 hours after eating along with goat milk, and don't know if there is a better probiotic. I have not been putting additional supplements in her food because I want her to eat it. I was giving her adrenal support, fish oil, E, B vitamins etc... but I don't want her to be rejecting the food because it smells off. I am putting in broccoli sprouts and dandelion. I am also giving her denamarin for her liver which seems to work, since her enzymes came down in the past 60 days.

I mention gram negative bacteria above. It reminded me that I read somewhere that the blood/infection coming from the vagina may not be the same infection as the blood in the uterus. Is this true? I also wonder---I gave her a bath outside with the hose about a week before this happened. Could there have been bacteria in the water--it is not filtered outside. This is the first bath she let me give her in a year, but she tolerated it nicely, especially since she did not like rain when I got her. This is well water. Maybe I should have been routinely cleaning her vulva to keep it cleaner. When the infection set in I used a weak solution of povidone iodine to clean her.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Would calcium interfere with absorption of these drugs?
It shouldn't IMHO.
don't know if there is a better probiotic
Maybe after you use up the Proviable, move to The Wolf, then Fido's flora then keep rotating probiotics:

I read somewhere that the blood/infection coming from the vagina may not be the same infection as the blood in the uterus. Is this true?
Yes. And there probably is no septicemia (blood infection) based on her BEAM, other symptoms and vet exam.

Could there have been bacteria in the water
Unlikely to be anything problematic.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Thank you for the specifics on this. I saw they have so many to choose from. Her appetite is better and the bleeding has stopped. I give her the probiotics about 5 hours before the next round of antibiotics. I talk to the Repro doctor hopefully today and will provide follow up as to what he says and recommends. Thanks!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Perhaps start with the Adored Beast The Wolf probiotic.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I just ordered both, so I probably will get it by the end of the week

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom