• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

8-1/2 month golden retriever in season for first time

JacquelineN

Community Member
Registered
Hello, I’m wondering if anyone can tell me what would be expected in terms of how long the heat cycle will last, what if anything I can do to support our puppy? I’ve only owned male dogs in the past so this is new for me. Overall, Sophie seems fine, though a bit more withdrawn….She has light discharge which is a little bit bloody but not overly so. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Some aspects are widely variable, others pretty standard. Each bitch will have her own rhythm and signs - can't call them symptoms because they are normal, if variable. Dr. Hamilton's book has a fairly comprehensive section on repro. Also look online for Dr. Marty Greer's books and references. If I recall correctly, Golden breeders have a lot of articles and commentaries - Google is your friend here. She may have a lot or a little discharge, stinky or not so much. You may want to put a pad on her, or "bitch pants" or a baby diaper, for the worst part.
Best I can say is that we can talk you through anything weird or that you question. Most bitches are just fine, but you should watch for pain, of course, unusually heavy and stinky discharge that lasts more than a week or two, frequent urination, licking, depression, etc. Just report in to us with any questions; it is a bit scary and awesome sometimes.
Have fun with your little lady:)

JacquelineN

Community Member
Registered
Some aspects are widely variable, others pretty standard. Each bitch will have her own rhythm and signs - can't call them symptoms because they are normal, if variable. Dr. Hamilton's book has a fairly comprehensive section on repro. Also look online for Dr. Marty Greer's books and references. If I recall correctly, Golden breeders have a lot of articles and commentaries - Google is your friend here. She may have a lot or a little discharge, stinky or not so much. You may want to put a pad on her, or "bitch pants" or a baby diaper, for the worst part.
Best I can say is that we can talk you through anything weird or that you question. Most bitches are just fine, but you should watch for pain, of course, unusually heavy and stinky discharge that lasts more than a week or two, frequent urination, licking, depression, etc. Just report in to us with any questions; it is a bit scary and awesome sometimes.
Have fun with your little lady:)
Thank you Ginny, that gives me a basic idea of what to look out for—I appreciate your help. Jackie

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom