• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

1-1/2 yr GoldenRetriever in heat cycle

JacquelineN

Community Member
Registered
Hi I have a specific question related to the heat cycle….Sophie has not bled in a few days. I think that this is the time that she is most fertile. Does anyone know how long this lasts in general? She’s doing fine, I’ve been keeping her on a leash and I’m out backyard as I don’t want her to be near other dogs….am I being too cautious? Would I be able to walk her around the neighborhood? Or wait another few days? Week? Any thoughts would be helpful!

Thank you

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Yeah; just WAIT! She's not done until she's done, and generalities are not reliable; every bitch is a bit different. Some bleed, some do not, much. Your best indicator is the behavior of the boys - I can remember several instances where I goofed up, mismanaged gates, and had to tackle the dogs:). So, wait a few extra days, and then cautiously test, through a fence or such. She's not suffering, even if she sings you a mournful song. Chances are that most males are neutered anyway, but they may show some residual interest.

In the meantime, enrich her yard time, play games, treat her like the princess she is, groom her, reward her, etc. Any reason why you need her intact, as opposed to considering an OSS? I would surely have done so, in hindsight.

JacquelineN

Community Member
Registered
Thank you—good advice! I’ll keep her close and in our yard until I’m sure that she’s past the fertile period. We are waiting because the breeder feels that it helps them with issues (hormonal, cancer, etc) in addition to growing ((better bone structure, etc)).

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Pardon me, but it seems you may have misunderstood me: An OSS, or Ovary Sparing Spay, preserves all of those valuable growth and temperament hormones, just as if she were whole. I agree 100% with your breeder that full development is necessary for great health and longevity. It makes no difference in their development WHEN you perform an OSS, since you are leaving all the potential for hormones intact. A girl with ovaries will cycle, but not conceive, and needs to be kept from the boyz only because she could be injured by their attentions.
I am heartily glad to see this procedure becoming more popular; it would have been my choice for my girl dog had it been available.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Jacqueline, Dr. Lazarus at Rippowam in Stamford used to (and may still) perform this procedure.

Remember that after an OSS she will still come into heat and will still be attractive to the boys.

However, she will not be able to get pregnant.

There's a short video course about spaying in the HA! member resource area.

JacquelineN

Community Member
Registered
Thank you, Dr Jeff. I hadn’t heard of this procedure that Ginny mentioned. I’ll look up Dr. Lazarus….and check out the HA!! Video course about spaying. 😊

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Jacqueline!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom