• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

My cat urinated on top of my bed

YvetteH

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello, Forum veterinarians.

My 18-1/2 year-old cat urinated on my bedspread. Would you have any idea why she would have done that?

Thank you.
Yvette H.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sorry about the pee on your bed Yvette.??

The most common cause of this is behavioral (my own kitty occasionally pees right where I sleep if she is "pissed off" about something). But at your kitty's age you might want to rule out internal issues first.

Has she had any blood testing in the past few months?

How's her BEAM?

Does she eat any dry food?

YvetteH

All-Access Member
Registered
No, Dr. Jeff. She has not had any blood testing recently. Her last blood test was over a year ago.
She generally does not eat dry food, but occasionally I give her one very small treat after I groom her fur. Regarding her BEAM, she generally has been her normal affectionate self; she sleeps quite a bit during the day, but I understand this is normal for a cat who'll be turning 19 next month; she's a rather small cat who for much of her life has never had much of an appetite... she eats a few mouthfuls a couple of times a day and generally seems satisfied with that; and I'd say her mood is fairly serene most of the time (she displayed a rambunctious mood about a week ago when she ran around my home after she visited the kitty loo).

Thank you for your questions. Any additional thoughts/idea(s) what may be going on with her?

Abby 2022.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sure!

what may be going on with her?
Most common at this age would be hyperthyroidism, kidney issues and diabetes.

More info. (like is she drinking more/less/the same) would help know if this is more medical or behavioral.

Regardless of the cause though, increased environmental enrichment and happiness will help her body re-balance.

YvetteH

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you for your response, Dr. Jeff. She may have an issue with her kidneys (last year she was on a supplement for kidneys). The amount of water she consumes appears to be the same as the amount she has always consumed. She does appear to have lost a significant amount of weight, however.

I definitely think there's something to be said regarding environmental enrichment and happiness. We have a good, affectionate relationship with lots of talking/praise and petting, as she is a very affectionate cat. I don't know if she'd be interested in toys anymore--I haven't seen her show any interest in toys for several years. As far as happiness goes, the only thing she seems to be happy about is something that's not good for her: dry cat food. I really don't give her much of that, maybe one kibble every other day or so.

I'm also wondering if my cat can do a protocol that I do for good health (heavy metals detoxing). I understand that heavy metals lodge themselves in the brain as well as in other internal organs. What I use for heavy metals detoxing is spirulina, barley grass juice powder, dulse, and cilantro (along with fruit (wild blueberries is one of the fruits I use which also removes heavy metals) and coconut water added for taste). Would any of these 4 ingredients be problematic for a cat? Would a cat want to eat these ingredients if they are mixed with her food? I assume a cat would not be interested in eating fruit (bananas and oranges are what I also use).

Also, is there a special protocol to cleansing a cat's liver?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm also wondering if my cat can do a protocol that I do for good health (heavy metals detoxing).
Yes!
Would any of these 4 ingredients be problematic for a cat?
Great question! No they would be fine to use.
Would a cat want to eat these ingredients if they are mixed with her food?
This is the million dollar question! Some will, some won't. Tho I have found a high number of kitties like the HA! wild blueberry-kale smoothie:

Also, is there a special protocol to cleansing a cat's liver?
The above detoxes and smoothie will do so in conjunction with fresh food, lots of purring, petting, Love Therapy, etc. Liver cleansing, like detox are part of the natural healing mechanisms of the body.

Also, Maria and Phil have lots of other great supplements and resources:

YvetteH

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you, Dr. Jeff. I have one other question... are you familiar with Lemon Balm? Can it be used to detoxify a cat's liver?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Yvette. Yes, I am familiar with lemon balm, and yes it can be helpful.

YvetteH

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff,

I am wondering what went through my cat's mind when she urinated on my bed. I firmly believe that animals have actual thoughts. I'm reminded of an interview I came across involving an animal communicator who made a "mental telepathy"-type contact with a panther. She stated that the panther had actual thoughts (similar to humans). When my cat urinated on the bed (and by the way, she inappropriately urinated twice--the other time in the living room), it was not like she accidently excreted a bit of urine. It was as if she posed as if she were in the litterbox and excreted a good deal of urine. What could she have been thinking? At her age, might she have something like "feline dementia," and actually thought these places were where she should pose to excrete urine?

I personally think her issue is more medical and not behavioral (but of course I could be wrong). You mentioned that due to her age, she more likely had something like hyperthyroidism, kidney issues, or diabetes. You also stated that "regardless of the cause though, increased environmental enrichment and happiness will help her body re-balance." Are you saying that increased environmental enrichment and happiness will help conditions such as the ones you named (hyperthyroidism, kidney issues, or diabetes) and that remedies/supplements are not indicated? I'm asking because I noted that you did not bring up the topic of supplements as a solution (well, at least not until I brought the topic up :)). In short, I'm not clear on exactly what you are recommending for this situation, Dr. Jeff. Can you be more specific?

Thank you.

Yvette H.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
What could she have been thinking?
Great question to ask an animal communicator like Kate Solisti or Cathy Malkin:

At her age, might she have something like "feline dementia," and actually thought these places were where she should pose to excrete urine?
Yes.
." Are you saying that increased environmental enrichment and happiness will help conditions such as the ones you named (hyperthyroidism, kidney issues, or diabetes) and that remedies/supplements are not indicated?
1. Yes, enrichment and increased happiness are helpful no matter what is found diagnostically.
I'm asking because I noted that you did not bring up the topic of supplements as a solution

No, I did not bring up supplements because like drugs, they may help a particular symptom but are not a solution IMHO.

Drugs and supplements work on a phsiological/physical level but the cause of the symptoms is on the energetic level.

Increasing happiness and other energy-building modifications like environmental enrichment work on both the physical and energetic levels.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom