• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Vomiting and Loss of Appetite

LisaP

VIP Member
Registered
This is going to be a long post, I apologize in advance.

Abby is our 12 year old German Shepherd/Lab mix. In 2017 she was diagnosed with histocytosis by a dermatologist. She was put on 100mg of Atopica, three times a week. Prior to this diagnosis, in addition to her traditional vet, I had also been taking her to a woman who is a trained nurse and left traditional medicine to show people how foods can affect their lives, she does muscle testing, works with energy fields, gives supplements based on what your body needs, etc. She isn't a licensed vet and hadn't done a lot of work with animals outside of her own. She put Abby on some supplements which kept the histocytosis at bay before we had a formal diagnosis. I kept her on these supplements and eventually we made the decision to reduce Abby's dose of Atopica to twice a week and that's where she currently is.

In June of last year, Abby had a mast cell tumor removed. It was benign but we were told to keep an eye out because they can reoccur. Thankfully, we haven't found any others. Fast forward to this year. The past several months, I've noticed Abby hasn't been excited about eating the foods that she typically enjoyed eating, such as carrots, watermelon, blueberries. I was a little concerned, but most everything else about Abby was ok. She was a little more lethargic, but I attributed it to her getting older. We also had to say goodbye to our 13 year old Pyrenees in December which I believe affected our entire pack more than I realized.

Two weeks ago, I had a call with Dr. Jeff about Abby. She had been trying to scratch her front elbows for a little while, and following our EH about acupressure, I started to get concerned. He suggested that I get some blood work done on Abby. I took her to the vet on the 26th. She tested negative for heartworm but positive for Lyme infection for the first time ever. She was also due for her rabies vaccine. She had lost 7 pounds since her last visit 14 months ago. My vet is wonderful and has always been supportive of me wanting to look beyond traditional medicine. I do still vaccinate her, so I did go ahead with the rabies vaccine and we put her on 400mg of doxycycline for three weeks for the lyme infection. Results from her blood test were all good except he thought her BUN was elevated, which he said could be due to the increased protein that she is now getting in her fresh food diet. He wasn't overly concerned because everything else seemed to be ok with her. Yesterday, she threw up three times, the first time was food, the second less food, the third was just liquid. She wouldn't take her medication, and didn't want any snacks. I took her for a walk and she was totally fine, her poo was normal. This morning, I made some rice and ground beef for her and added a little water kefir for her, she wasn't interested. I have dehydrated raw beef kibble that I use as treats and I gave her two, which she ate, but about 2 hours later, she threw them up along with water. She has been drinking a lot of water, but I'm guessing that's because she's feeling dehydrated.

I know vaccines aren't encouraged, my dogs have always gotten the lyme vaccine, DA2PP and rabies. She isn't due for DA2PP until 2022. My ultimate goal is to get Abby off of Atopica permanently, even though I've been told by a few traditional vets that she will always be on it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'll share updates.

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing this wonderfully descriptive post! Long posts with lots of details are welcome. It's the details that will help you decide what to do.

How is Abby's BEAM and quality of life?

Are any of her symptoms keeping her from doing what she loves to do?

LisaP

VIP Member
Registered
Thanks for sharing this wonderfully descriptive post! Long posts with lots of details are welcome. It's the details that will help you decide what to do.

How is Abby's BEAM and quality of life?

Are any of her symptoms keeping her from doing what she loves to do?

Thank you Dr. Jeff. I was worried it was too long!

Abby's BEAM is ok, her quality of life is good. When I say its ok, its mainly because of her lack of appetite. She's never really been a dog driven by food, but she did enjoy eating. She loved treats and fruit and veggie snacks. Her energy is a little lower than usual, but she does run around when we're in the yard, so I don't know that I would actually say its always low. Everything else seems to be fine, her mood is the same as usual and her behavior is as perfect as always. She's really such a good girl (gloating mom here). :) She hasn't eaten since yesterday morning, so I'm thinking of holding off on feeding her today and try again tomorrow morning?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, I understand very well Lisa as this sounds eerily similar to the situation my own pup (Vanya) is in. Thanks for sharing.

Gradual reduction in appetite and subtle signs of energy decline are often early warning signs.

For older and sickly pets, they are often signs that the spark of vitality is slowly going out.

Your best bet is to support and love up Abby as much as you can. The more that she can engage with you and the environment, the better.

In Vanya's case, she has never been engaged. With anything. This may be why she "tried to die" last year when she was very sick from a tumor-abscess.

She never really cared about food, treats, people or play. That is, until Archie arrived (thanks @jumstead! ) two years ago.

Vanya's recent BEAM decline started with not eating raw food, then not eating cooked, freeze-dried, cat food, seemingly delectable treats like bacon, etc.

Behavior wise, a few months ago she started sleeping in different locations throughout the house, and not reacting as usual to me, Amy or others. Now she just sleeps off in an isolated dark, hard, cool spot, but comes out a few times a day for her walkies or other engagement.

Last night, which I thought we be her last, she got up easily and asked to go out. We walked around a bit though she didnt do her usual sniffing. No checking her pee mail as usual :(

But she then wanted to stand around and listen to the sounds and sniff the scents in the air.

I think that environmental engagement is the key to optimizing information flow and clear cellular communication in Abby's body:

dis-ease resistance factors.jpg

LisaP

VIP Member
Registered
Dr Jeff, I’m so sorry to read about Vanya. When I read your post yesterday morning, I didn’t realize how quickly things were progressing.

Abby didn’t eat this morning again, but she did take some treats. I’ll try some different food and see if she is interested. She was at least interested in eating this morning, just not interested in what I was serving. I will definitely love her up. I’m not ready to say good bye to her anytime soon.

I’ll post any updates. Sending positive thoughts and prayers for Vanya.

LisaP

VIP Member
Registered
Hello, just wanted to share an Abby update. She has been eating ground turkey and has been very happy with it. She still doesn't want any kind of beef, but that's ok, at least she is eating. Her energy level seems to have come back to normal, she has a spring in her step again and is following me outside to my garden and hanging out with me in the yard. She is still fighting me on taking the Atopica, but until I have a plan in place to get her off of it, I need her to take it to keep her histocytosis at bay.

Dr Jeff, I did send her blood test results to you through the messaging system. I'm not sure if you received it. Please let me know and I can resend.

Thank you for all of your support.
Lisa

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom