• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Vegan food for cats

PamR

Community Member
Registered
Has anyone found a prepared vegan food product or recipe that their adult cat really likes?
My 13 yr old cat has been eating raw meat for several years but her teeth are suffering. She's not up for brushing and I'm sure the sticky meat is sticking to her teeth.
So I'm considering going vegan (as I am, primarily), at least partially, but don't know how to transition and get her to eat. She's already picky.
Looking for tasty healthy products to buy or prepare (easy recipes only, please!). I ordered the Pitcairns' new edition for ideas.
Much appreciated!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Has anyone found a prepared vegan food product or recipe that their adult cat really likes?
Not me.

Most of the vegan cats I know are eating a home-prepared diet. Will she eat any of your food?

BTW-Maybe try raw chicken or turkey necks for her teeth. They are usually more help than a vegan diet.

PamR

Community Member
Registered
Thanks, Dr. Jeff.
I eat salads and avocado and pasta and odd things -- nothing that appeals to her.
I'm not opposed to doing a home-prepared diet, if she'll eat it!

Her chewing is not great -- she has had teeth extracted and probably needs another one out right now so didn't think she could handle raw neck... but I can try. Do you recommend the whole neck or cutting it in smaller pieces?

One other thing: I have mashed tofu into her raw meat mix sometimes, and she eats it, no problem. Is this of any benefit?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Do you recommend the whole neck or cutting it in smaller pieces?
She needs to gnaw on the neck to be most effective. Typically, the bigger the better and often holding the neck by her mouth where you'd like to see her chewing works best.
One other thing: I have mashed tofu into her raw meat mix sometimes, and she eats it, no problem. Is this of any benefit?
Regarding her teeth? If so, probably not.

PamR

Community Member
Registered
Thank you again, Dr. Jeff. I got some chicken necks so will experiment.

About adding tofu to her raw meat mix, I kind of use it as a filler to stretch out the mix. So was wondering if that was OK nutritionally. 😺

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
It sounds like your kitty would benefit from deep homeopathic treatment. this is because most healthy cats eating a raw meat diet, especially with some chunks or necks, have super white teeth and great gums.
Some of Dr. Pitcairn trained homeopathic veterinarians recommend a vegetarian diet for cats and can consult by phone for the deeper homeopathic treatment. www.drpitcairn.com to find one.

There are ways to clean the teeth. Over a few weeks...or even months, slowly move from where she likes petting to rubbing her teeth with your finger. One of our speakers said that was as good as brushing and my human dentist actually agreed.

Dr. Christina

NancyK

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Nancy - have you used these with cats or dogs? Maybe tell us the changes you saw. We love to hear success stories.
I have only used the LUCAA spray a short time but it seems to be helping my yorkie's teeth. I actually use it on my finger and brush his teeth with it. He is 15.5 years old and actually has good teeth but does develop a bit of plaque in spite of a raw diet that includes RMBs. I will try to report back after using it awhile but it does seem to be helping him. As far as the oral care probiotic, I am not sure how effective that is but I can tell you that he does not seem to be getting much plaque buildup at all. I think both of these products can help and cannot hurt, unlike many other oral care products on the market. They may also need to be used for awhile and if there is already significant buildup they may not be effective or take longer to show results. I like the idea of promoting a healthy oral microbiome vs using products that kill bacteria in the mouth, even those with essential oils. When bad bacteria are killed the good are killed as well and so it makes it easier for the bad to take over.

As far as RMBs, I have fed many of those. I think they can be helpful. However, how effective they are depends on several things...dental structure, chewing style, and type of RMB fed. For example, my other dog has a crooked jaw and can only chew mainly on one side. It is very obvious that her teeth on one side look great but the other side does not...so I know they help. My yorkie is sort of a gulper and does not chew bones as thoroughly as he should. My dogs are old also...15.5 and 16...I started noticing they are not digesting bones quite as well these days. If I dice them up, they digest better. I do try to give chunks of meat also which I feel is helpful. I never feed completely ground which seems to gunk up the teeth.

I would be hesitant to feed a vegetarian diet to a cat or dog for many reasons. However, as far as teeth, they are going to ingest more carbs and all carbs, even good ones, will turn to sugar and affect the oral microbiome. I can attest to this personally because I eat a carnivore diet myself and rarely get any plaque on my teeth anymore.

Nancy

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for sharing Nancy!

PamR

Community Member
Registered
Yes.

Do you also add any vitamins/minerals like:

I had been giving taurine. But this premix looks great. Will check out. THANK YOU!
It sounds like your kitty would benefit from deep homeopathic treatment. this is because most healthy cats eating a raw meat diet, especially with some chunks or necks, have super white teeth and great gums.
Some of Dr. Pitcairn trained homeopathic veterinarians recommend a vegetarian diet for cats and can consult by phone for the deeper homeopathic treatment. www.drpitcairn.com to find one.

There are ways to clean the teeth. Over a few weeks...or even months, slowly move from where she likes petting to rubbing her teeth with your finger. One of our speakers said that was as good as brushing and my human dentist actually agreed.

Dr. Christina
Thank you!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom