• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

TEEF for Teeth

NancyK

Community Member
Registered
I am wondering about the TEEF water additive for teeth. I am totally paranoid about anything I put into my dogs, however highly respected holistic vets seem to think this product is great. I looked at the ingredients which are prebiotic fiber, l-arginine and vitamin B6. One version has baking soda which I would never use since it alkalizes stomach acids which dogs need. The fiber ingredient is vague as to what it is. I wonder if the other ingredients are safe. I would appreciate any input on this product. My other concen is that I sent an email to the company several days ago and have not gotten a response. I don't like it when companies do not respond to questions about their products.

Thanks so much,
Nancy

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Nancy!

Depending on your goal for using it, and the current state of your pup’s teeth, you might be better off just feeding eatable raw bones, turkey necks, etc

Even just occasional brushing can work wonders.

IMHO when it comes to supplements, less is more.

I bet @GinnyW has more to say about Teef, bones and dental care.

NancyK

Community Member
Registered
Hey Nancy!

Depending on your goal for using it, and the current state of your pup’s teeth, you might be better off just feeding eatable raw bones, turkey necks, etc

Even just occasional brushing can work wonders.

IMHO when it comes to supplements, less is more.

I bet @GinnyW has more to say about Teef, bones and dental care.

Thank you Dr. Jeff.

I do feed bones regularly. However, one dog has a crooked jaw and cannot chew well on one side so they are not as effective for her. I also use two fabulous products from The Pet Health and Nutrition Center. I brush twice daily with their tooth powder which is fabulous. And I sprinkle their oral probiotic on their food to support the oral microbiome. I alternate this oral probiotic with one from Sustenance Herbs. This regimen may be enough!

Thank you,
Nancy

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Very helpful podcast! I had been inclined to say that the tiny amount of sodium bicarbonate will be inconsequential, and now I believe that even more strongly. Teef! is a remarkable breakthrough, and I look forward to more developing uses. If whatever you are using is sufficient - well, it is. For me, I love scientific discovery, and so will stick with Teef!, perhaps using even more, or in different applications.
The mouth is made to chew - and, in an ideal environment probably should last a lifetime. But we can extend all our domestic pets' lifetimes, possibly exceeding nature's health limits for teeth, and so some totally natural manipulation of the biome is a plus. That's our kind of health, here:)

NancyK

Community Member
Registered
Very helpful podcast! I had been inclined to say that the tiny amount of sodium bicarbonate will be inconsequential, and now I believe that even more strongly. Teef! is a remarkable breakthrough, and I look forward to more developing uses. If whatever you are using is sufficient - well, it is. For me, I love scientific discovery, and so will stick with Teef!, perhaps using even more, or in different applications.
The mouth is made to chew - and, in an ideal environment probably should last a lifetime. But we can extend all our domestic pets' lifetimes, possibly exceeding nature's health limits for teeth, and so some totally natural manipulation of the biome is a plus. That's our kind of health, here:)
GinnyW, thank you so much for your feedback. I was also very impressed with this podcast.

Although bones and tooth brushing are great, I believe the use of TEEF can add additional benefit. Bones don't always clean all areas of the teeth and our dogs are not ripping and tearing through whole carcasses covered in fur. We'll mine aren’t anyway. Some dogs have dental structure issues which prevent the chewing process from working as well as it should. For example, my dog has problems with jaw structure. Tooth brushing is great but it is hard to get to the inside of the teeth or tongue.

I actually bought TEEF last week off Judy Morgan's site. She only sells the 42 version without sodium bicarbonate so I got that. One concern I have about the sodium bicarbonate is that the tooth powder I use from Pet Health and Nutrition Center has sodium bicarbonate as one of the main ingredients which I use twice daily. I know the purpose of it is to alkalize the mouth, however I definitely do not want to alkalize stomach acid which is so important for raw fed dogs. In addition, my dogs eat zero carbs so their mouths are likely less acidic than dogs who eat carbs.

I mix up a small jar of TEEF water and put it in the frig. My Mia demands her water to be fresh, so several times a day I refill the bowl with fresh water and then top it off with some TEEF water. I have another bowl out with plain water in case they would not drink the TEEF water. Well guess what...almost every time, Mia goes for the TEEF water! My other dog Bear goes to each bowl about 50/50. However, they are both definitely drinking it. I have not used it in other ways because they both drink fairly regularly, especially in summer. I could always top off their food with some TEEF water if they drink less in colder weather.

Thanks again,
Nancy

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I'd still be inclined to think that there is more sodium bicarb in the residue from your tooth powder than in any use of Teef!. And I don't share your concern about its effects in alkalization of the digestive tract in these amounts. Raw food, after all, provokes secretion of stomach acids, which I would imagine neutralize the bicarb quite readily. We just don't know for sure, and are coming down on opposite sides here:)

FWIW, my big guy, an "only dog" presently, gets a large casserole dish of (structured) water, probably 1 1/2 quarts or so, fresh every day with Teef! in it. He drinks it at intervals, consuming about a quart daily. I shall examine the info more thoroughly to see if using more Teef! would be wise. Brushing is not very effective; too many places I can't reach well. We use another brand of "add to the food" powder, but as I find out more I would like to follow the Teef! science instead.

NancyK

Community Member
Registered
I'd still be inclined to think that there is more sodium bicarb in the residue from your tooth powder than in any use of Teef!. And I don't share your concern about its effects in alkalization of the digestive tract in these amounts. Raw food, after all, provokes secretion of stomach acids, which I would imagine neutralize the bicarb quite readily. We just don't know for sure, and are coming down on opposite sides here:)

FWIW, my big guy, an "only dog" presently, gets a large casserole dish of (structured) water, probably 1 1/2 quarts or so, fresh every day with Teef! in it. He drinks it at intervals, consuming about a quart daily. I shall examine the info more thoroughly to see if using more Teef! would be wise. Brushing is not very effective; too many places I can't reach well. We use another brand of "add to the food" powder, but as I find out more I would like to follow the Teef! science instead.

Thanks for your thoughts. When I buy more TEEF I will try the kind with the sodium bicarbonate. I only bought one package to start with so need to order soon anyway.

Thanks,
Nancy

NancyK

Community Member
Registered
Just wanted to add that I am not ready to abandon tooth brushing. I mix the tooth powder with coconut oil and massage in small circles with my finger along the gumline. I do not use a toothbrush which I find useless for my tiny dogs. I think this is somewhat helpful, especially for the gums which is what is most critical in my opinion.

Nancy

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I was also very impressed with this podcast.
Wonderful! I look forward to learning more with Dr. Stein on 9/2 during the first Empower Hour! webinar of the HA! microbiome month.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom