• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Tape worm

SheriS

VIP Member
Registered
Hello friends,
It looks like our15 yr old Havanese has tape worms. She had one or two flees a while back...maybe that's all it takes?
I know I can give her Para-outta-site, diatomaceous earth, or herbs. I only have the diatomaceous earth on hand (but I'm happy to get whatever would be best for this situation).
Can I be guided as to the best approach for our little one please?
Can the diatomaceous earth harm her intestines? If not, how much of a dose of this or any other suggestion?
Update- She's not be responding to homeopathy treatment for her ailments (yet). Those ailments are scabs along her spine, as well as scattered in other areas, waking us two times per night to eat, neurological pain such as pins and needles (possibly neuropathy) in her hind quarters (as the animal communicator explained).
She is also not too steady walking, etc., and she is sleeping even more than usual (maybe that's because she's eating more...?)
Any insight is welcomed!
Sheri

SheriS

VIP Member
Registered
Don't know if this is helpful to add.. the animal communicator told us is that Fibi's neuropathy may be affecting her bladder sensation because she may not be sensing that she may need to relieve herself. She has only had one accident (recently) while sleeping so far. When we let her out at night, she does not pee. Only poops. I have to get her out several times in hopes that she will relieve herself before bed. It doesn't always happen and she's been pretty good at holding it so far. But when she does relieve herself, it's like the royal flush. I believe she may have lost sensation as to when her bladder is full. Does this sound possible?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Can I be guided as to the best approach for our little one please?
Thanks for asking Sheri! Tapeworms rarely cause a problem and are almost always related to swallowing a flea (usually from self-grooming).

The main treatment is what you are already doing with optimal diet, lots of sniffing, outdoor time, etc. I also love this product (which can be used for all sorts of intestinal parasites):

when she does relieve herself, it's like the royal flush. I believe she may have lost sensation as to when her bladder is full. Does this sound possible?
It's possible. Often tho when the bladder nerves are affected, the pup doesn't even know they need to pee and the urine just flows out involuntarily.

SheriS

VIP Member
Registered
Oh wow. ...that is great news on the tapeworm front Dr. Jeff! Yes, she gets lots of all of the important things we've learned here to keep her as happy as possible. The animal communicator said she's extremely thankful!
As are we to you, Dr. Christina and your whole team for all of the phenomenal support!
Thanks for the comment about her bladder as well. I will check in with Dr. Judy about a remedy for this as we have yet to consult her on the topic.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Sheri!

SheriS

VIP Member
Registered
Back to the tapeworm convo++
Update- Fibi was been crying on and off and wakes us up to eat two/three times per night. We assume this is cognitive and have not been able to shift it.
She also had a severe hind left leg spasm this weekend which prompted us to get her to the energy worker/communicator and the vet, along with the chiropractor on in a couple of days. (So far she's stable on her legs). We believe the pressure of the diaper on her back is creating more neurological issues or perhaps neuropathy, which she has not been officially diagnosed with. The animal communicator suggested it.
Anyway, it's a catch-22. We need the diaper for the urine leaking and the worms, but it harms her hind area.
Any insights on this?

I brought Fib to the Vet yesterday (she's as holistic as I can get here) who said she felt the tapeworms she's been dealing with were too much to just do holistically at this point. They are coming out of her alive (not just in her poop) and also the fragmented portions are all over. She gave us one dose of Drontal. If it doesn't clear, next wk, she'll give us another dose. She is sensitive to my concerns around pharmaceuticals and also prefers not to give Fibi any, unless she truly feels it will be beneficial. I've been giving her the Kochi Healthy Stools herbs since you recommended them Dr. Jeff (about five days or so).
Any input on this topic?

Also, the vet is now seeing "floressing' all over her body where the scabs have been (there are many new ones as well) and prescribed Miconazole for ringworm and KetoHex shampoo. I'm not sure which is for what at the moment.
Do you think Fibi will suffer more from these than if we continue to let it be and wait for something to change?
We are doing so many things, including regular Homeopathy appts which so far are not helping Fibi's skin, etc.

Lastly, the vet has seen these scabs a bunch of times over the past six months or so and was pretty sure they were related to the thyroid, which as it turned out, they weren't. She says the thyroid also changes as the seasons do.
was wondering your thoughts on this?

Much thanks for any additional insights!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Sheri-
She says the thyroid also changes as the seasons do.
was wondering your thoughts on this?
Yes, the thyroid hormone level, and all glandular function, will fluctuate. However, the values will not come back into the normal range when there is true hypothyroidism.

I can't really comment on the specific treatments advised by your vet. When the fluorescence is strong, it is an indicator for ringworm (hence the miconazole which is an antifungal).

Did the vet ever use the black light on the scabs before (sometimes scabbing will fluoresce)?

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
YOu are a wonderful example, Sheri, of using multiple approaches and people in Fibi's health care team. do read on the site about the responses to healing (and chapters 2 & 3 in Don Hamilton's homeopathic care of cats and dogs, and maybe also read Wendy Jensen's Practical handbook of veterinary homeopathy). This will help you sort out the different symptoms and how they change.

You may want to schedule more appointments with Dr. Judy and keep sharing your concerns with her. Each remedy given to re-balance the vital force is intended to resolve all the symptoms, so reporting on all changes is important.

And Keep yourself healthy and send energy to her by listening to happy music, doing happy dances, listening to inspiring talks by Bernie Siegel, anitra frazier, and many more:
https://www.youtube.com/@AllPawsPetTalkTV

(Grandmother Nancy)

HA! Happiness Protocol: 7 Ways to Optimize Your Pet's Life

Love, Animals & Miracles With Dr. Bernie Siegel

Reconnection Circle - Indigenous Wisdom In Modern Times
Dr. Christina

SheriS

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff and Dr. Christina!
Dr. Jeff- we do not know if she used a black light the many times before for acupuncture, etc., because she does not allow us to go with Fibi into the exam room. I will ask her next week for sure.

SheriS

VIP Member
Registered
Since my last message, I sprained my ankle, David's dad had a stroke and now David has covid. So, I haven't been able to bathe Fibi, I've been applying Aloe but it doesnent seem to be helping. She's knawing away at her leg and side to the point of raw skin. Is there anything I can do from home that will help (significantly) with the itching and not burn her tender skin (so raw now). If I call the vet, she'll want to see Fibi (AGAIN) and I've been exposed to covid...

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
WOW - the universe sent you a lot of challenges at once. For your mental an physical health, keep listening to Dr. Jeff's suggestions above.

Take a moment to open the skin resources - Non member login - Holistic Actions!

Here are a few of its topical suggestions you can try, some of which are in your kitchen!:

Topical Support​

You can often immediately relieve or reduce your pet’s itching with an aloe vera or oatmeal shampoo treatment. You can help relieve their itching with spot treatment using black tea, aloe vera gel, colloidal oatmeal soaks, and even a combination of baking soda paste and Rescue Remedy cream. Some acupressure points and essential oils, such as discussed on the AnimalEO site may be helpful as well.

You can give your pet a body-rinse composed of solution of water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and green tea. some topical treatments are aloe vera, black tea, almond oil To help with the anxiety that often accompanies itching, use essential oils, flower essences or essence combinations similar to Rescue Remedy.

And from my website's skin article -
Sweet Almond Oil, Vitamin E, Aloe vera (from the plant or purchased), Calendula gel, Hypericum gel, Mullin or Mullin and Garlic, SSSTing SSSStop, Oatmeal baths. Put raw oatmeal in a stocking, get it wet, and then drip the liquid on the skin.

Please take care of yourself as you care for the others. Lots of rescue remedy or stress stopper or lavender as you navigate clinics/hospitals, etc.
Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom