• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Stainless steel litter box

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Hi @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Jeff,

What are your thoughts about stainless steel litter boxes? I've read that the surfaces of these litter boxes are non-porous which eliminates odor retention and stains, they're more hygienic also. I'm not sure how kittens/cats feel about the light-reflective nature of stainless steel...so I thought I should check with you. Thanks.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
. I'm not sure how kittens/cats feel about the light-reflective nature of stainless steel.
I'm also not sure whether they'd like this. My sense is not so much. And Dr. Jean might have more experience with this.

If it was ceramic (like a shower or sink) I'd say that is also non-porous and very attractive to some cats.

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
I'm also not sure whether they'd like this. My sense is not so much. And Dr. Jean might have more experience with this.

If it was ceramic (like a shower or sink) I'd say that is also non-porous and very attractive to some cats.
🤔 Ceraminc?! Hmm...very interesting. I will do some research while waiting for Dr. Jean's feedback and see what I can find! Thank you, Dr. Jeff.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
One of the communicators said that plastic retains the odor and cats really really do not like it. She had good feedback from the cats using stainless steel.

Keep us posted on your research.

Dr. Christina

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Keep us posted on your research.
I am not surprised to hear that - who likes a smelly dirty bathroom?

I found this enameled steel cat litter box by Katchit: https://katchit.com/faq-cat-litter-box-katchit/
The surface is made of enamel and aluminum - I'm not sure if aluminum is a safe material to use. Also, what are your thoughts about the round shape?

For those who are interested in stainless steel litter boxes, I would recommend getting stainless buffet pans (like these Steam Table Pans, Hotel Pans & Buffet Pans) at restaurant supply shops - they're cheaper than stainless steel trays that are marketed as litter boxes. But be sure to hammer down the edges of these pans because I read that they have sharp edgets.

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered

@Dr. Jean Hofve - your thoughts?

Last edited:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom