• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Snuffling vs. Feeding within 8-hour Window

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello @Dr. Jeff and @GinnyW ,

Do the benefits of snuffling (mats and balls) trump the benefits of feeding in the 8-hour eating window? If possible, Hope would do snuffle mats/balls all day long but that breaks her feeding window. She is at her happiest when she's snuffling though....Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Yuji says life is too short for no cookies. I would lean as far as possible towards NOT breaking the fast - using tiny treats, and limiting the period of exposure - not playing all day, but just an occasional play period. Maybe raise the ante a bit, by playing different games, with different rewards - it should never resemble a constant trickle of food. Imagine how the body is reacting; don't supply a meal's worth, ever. Go with tiny bits with strong flavors. Fat-based treats are less disruptive to the digestion than carbs. Of course, if you could feed, say, veggies, thereby keeping the carb count really low, then they would not signal a break in the fast. And save food play for AFTER the main meal, within the eating window. All that said, as above, life is too short....We accept ALL treats, from neighbors, storekeepers, gas station. And our main food play is "52 Pickup!" a handful of tiny treats widely scattered by pitching them from one end of the house to the other:)

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Yuji says life is too short for no cookies.
Amen to that, Yuji! :) :pup::dog2:

a handful of tiny treats widely scattered by pitching them from one end of the house to the other
That is a great idea! :D

As of now, Hope does a 40-50 mins snuffle session, 2 times a day with a 20-30 mins session in between, per day. I use crumbled (needs to be soften due to her lack of teeth) freeze-dried or (water-soaked) air-dried heart treats or freeze-dried treats by SmallBatch and GreenJuju - are those considered "fat-based" treats? I have freeze-dried lamb spleen which she loves but will save it for later, when the weather is cooler.

Life indeed is too short - I'm getting myself a treat later!

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Yep, all those meat-based treats sound fine. Anything else she loves to do, like sniff walks? Playing with friends? Visiting stores? Many dogs love riding around in shopping carts, or walking through big-box stores, etc. Car rides? It would be nice for her to have some mental and physical stimulation that is not based on eating...

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
It would be nice for her to have some mental and physical stimulation that is not based on eating...
That's a great idea - "not based on eating..." - I heeded your advice and took her on a trail today. She had a lot of fun I could tell. My husband is also looking into a front carrier so he could take her on bike rides in the morning :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I love how you took Ginny's great suggestions and tried them right away.
And they worked!!
Variety is good.

Also, remember that dogs need to SLEEP 70% (maybe more) of their day, so be sure to figure out to include a lot of rest in the day. I am still learning about this.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom