• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Senior dog with chronic dry eyes

MarijkeH

Registered
Had a virtual consult with an animal communicator/vet. It was determined that Indi has a severe dry eye problem that appears to be creating blindness.
Have been searching the net for a simple and natural solution without any real success. Can someone please recommend a product with little to no risk of unwanted side effects.

Dr. Jeff

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Marijke!

Before you embark on therapies for dry eye, you may want to have a Schirmer's tear test done by your vet to confirm how severe it is.

In the meantime, you may want to consider a lubricating drop or gel containing HA (hyaluronic acid):

MarijkeH

Registered
Hi Marijke!

Before you embark on therapies for dry eye, you may want to have a Schirmer's tear test done by your vet to confirm how severe it is.

In the meantime, you may want to consider a lubricating drop or gel containing HA (hyaluronic acid):

Thank you Dr. Jeff
It seems that HA is only available via a script. Maybe if I explain her eye situation a little more thoroughly, you may be able to assess her eye situation more fully.
Indi started having discharge from her eyes for quite some time now ... we tried herbal drops - which were stopped quickly because she reacted as though I had put acid in her eyes - we tried teas, homeopathics and both colloidal and ionic silver, but the sticky green mucous was actually increasing.
At this stage of life , the bank is pretty much bust. Therefore would rather use the$100+ consult price for remedies - if possible.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
HA is readily available (in the US) without a prescription. It is present in OTC eye lubricants. For example:

You can also use other inexpensive OTC lubricants.

If indeed the problem is dry eye, those will help tremendously if used 4x/day (or more!).

MarijkeH

Registered
HA is readily available (in the US) without a prescription. It is present in OTC eye lubricants. For example:

You can also use other inexpensive OTC lubricants.

If indeed the problem is dry eye, those will help tremendously if used 4x/day (or more!).
Thank you for that ... will be picking up an eye clear solution - by natural solutions - tomorrow.
If this product does not serve to remedy the eyes, then I shall need to purchase the AGEPHA iGel.
Always grateful for the much needed information.
❤️

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I have bad dry eyes, and I like this one:
Tear Stimulation Forté Dry Eye Drops – Natural Ophthalmics, Inc.

I also like Similasan Dry Eye Relief , which I get on Amazon.

Keep in mind, too, that using bottled eye drops over time can lose effectiveness and even worsen the problem due to the preservatives, so alternate with single-dose lubricants in little tubes. I just use plain saline for that, to give my eyes a break.

Honestly, drops need to be given every 3-4 hours for maximum benefit. I don't remember that much but I try! More often makes a big difference in comfort and vision.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I also like Similasan Dry Eye Relief
If anyone is considering these, now's the time to buy any older stock that you can find. I just read that there is now an import ban on them...

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
There's something going on with FDA which has warned some companies making homeopathic eye drops but couldn't find a current status, so thanks. (Although I just ordered them from Amazon last month with no issues!) Natural Ophthalmics has not, to my knowledge, been affected.

MarijkeH

Registered
I have bad dry eyes, and I like this one:
Tear Stimulation Forté Dry Eye Drops – Natural Ophthalmics, Inc.

I also like Similasan Dry Eye Relief , which I get on Amazon.

Keep in mind, too, that using bottled eye drops over time can lose effectiveness and even worsen the problem due to the preservatives, so alternate with single-dose lubricants in little tubes. I just use plain saline for that, to give my eyes a break.

Honestly, drops need to be given every 3-4 hours for maximum benefit. I don't remember that much but I try! More often makes a big difference in comfort and vision.
Thank you Jean,
The product I purchased is all natural and is in a 15ml bottle - it has already helped a lot in just 2 days
So you say it is safe to give more often? (recommended 1 drop 2x daily)

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Well, you need to apply *something* at least 4x a day, but if the product recommends no more than twice, I would fill in with something else, like single-dose saline drops.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom