• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

S-adenosyl-methionine

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
So, my more-or-less trusted vet has recommended "Sam-e or similar liver support" for my boy. And, as far as I can see there is nothing "similar" out there. He has no particular affliction or bloodwork indication, and of course eats all-raw, lots of organs, good Omegas, etc. I'd appreciate any comments on efficacy - and how that was determined - or alternative products/foods that may address any pertinent lacks. Or - is this just a passing fancy to cover her bases? Dr. Jeff has reviewed his bloodwork results without setting off alarms....

Is Sam-e the same as milk thistle? If so, can you just give milk thistle?

Why is the vet recommending this if nothing is off?

My current vet would have mine on 40 supplements even when there is not a problem. I just say no thanks. The fewer supplements the better in my opinion.

Nancy

No, it's not at all the same. And further investigation reveals a whole lot of garden-variety reviews and testaments all over the board: great, bad, upsets my digestion, helps with mentals, can't live without it....

If anyone has Science, I wouldn't mind knowing about it.

Milk thistle, OTOH, is a widely-occurring herb containing silymarin, which does seem to have beneficial properties. But I think I'd wait to use it unless/until there was actual liver impairment, as from poisons, cirrhosis, etc., and I have used it on occasion in the past for such, on both humans and animals, just for insurance and support.

I also like to have real reasons for any supplement, and would always prefer a superadequate diet, plus homeopathy where appropriate, to help the body deal.

No, it's not at all the same. And further investigation reveals a whole lot of garden-variety reviews and testaments all over the board: great, bad, upsets my digestion, helps with mentals, can't live without it....

If anyone has Science, I wouldn't mind knowing about it.

Milk thistle, OTOH, is a widely-occurring herb containing silymarin, which does seem to have beneficial properties. But I think I'd wait to use it unless/until there was actual liver impairment, as from poisons, cirrhosis, etc., and I have used it on occasion in the past for such, on both humans and animals, just for insurance and support.

I also like to have real reasons for any supplement, and would always prefer a superadequate diet, plus homeopathy where appropriate, to help the body deal.

Thanks GinnyW. I believe there is a tendency these days to over supplement. I also do not want to supplement with anything unless it is targeted at a specific issue. My yorkie had some elevated liver enzymes a few years ago and the vet suggested Denamarin Advanced which I believe contains Sam-e. All I got out of it was a gassy dog with digestive upset who was fine beforehand. Therefore, I did not give it. Two months later his liver enzymes were fine. The only thing I did do was cut back on his beef liver because I knew that too much copper could cause mildly elevated ALT. Anyway it worked. Not sure if the liver reduction was coincidental.

Nancy

there is a tendency these days to over supplement.
Yes! This is a common practice nowadays. It may be because supplements and foods can be used in the same manner as conventional drugs.

This may indicate that the holistic vet (what Dr. Falconer calls “fauxlistic” vets) is not what I call (in my upcoming “Path to Pet Wellness” book) a whole-istic vet.

IMHO, a truly holistic vet is one couched in mind-body spirit medicine where the energy (aka spirit) that undermines all life governs our actions.

Does that make sense Ginny and Nancy?

Yes! This is a common practice nowadays. It may be because supplements and foods can be used in the same manner as conventional drugs.

This may indicate that the holistic vet (what Dr. Falconer calls “fauxlistic” vets) is not what I call (in my upcoming “Path to Pet Wellness” book) a whole-istic vet.

IMHO, a truly holistic vet is one couched in mind-body spirit medicine where the energy (aka spirit) that undermines all life governs our actions.

Does that make sense Ginny and Nancy?

This makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks,
Nancy

Oh good!

Thank you Ginny. It's been sitting undone for years.

Archie asked me to finish and share it...

Back
Top Bottom